Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Georgia OL Devin Willock, recruiting staffer die in car crash [Developments at #68 -- #283 -- #289]

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorGrowl, Jan 15, 2023.

1. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Well he did end his life - just not intentionally

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    That was my fault. I got Ruggs confused with another player and asked @antny1 if we could change his OP slightly, which he said we could and which I did.

I was worried the case, involving a mental health issue, could be worded differently and he told me to handle it, so I messed it up. Turns out I was thinking of a different player.

Sorry everyone . . . and especially @antny1!

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Geez ET - we expect more out of our admins! :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 6
  4. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    All good ET. Should have just let it ride and let me take the blame. I'm good with it lol

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    More news on this tragedy...

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

So the local cop didn’t issue a speeding ticket for 89 in a 45. UGa is just as crooked as ref$u. Meanwhile our players get arrested for barking at dogs.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I've heard things like this happen in several college towns/cities... Bama, Auburn and UGA - Athens.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. ETGator

Sep 15, 2007
    Yeah, Rick's post (Twitter) says the kid got two tickets: for 89 in a 45 and illegal window tint.

Officer says he was giving him a break by not arresting him for reckless driving though. Probably knew better than to do so.

I let some go for reckless driving depending on their attitude but never 44 over. Reckless was usually 25+ over the posted speed limit but some roads were wide and flat (Memphis) and folks regularly flew down them. Maybe 25-30 over. Usually around +20. 44 over just shows total disregard but it's what Athens P.D. apparently created by not enforcing laws consistently.

Now that the P.R. hits are coming, there might be a semi-crackdown but the Police Chief serves the mayor who serves LegHumper voters . . . so don't hold your breath.

This type of tragedy is not unreasonable to expect when a group gets a pass from following the laws though, IMO.

• Winner Winner x 4
  9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

When I read it I got the impression he only got one ticket for the tinted windows — guess I read it wrong

But didn’t it also say he got a pass for speeding earlier?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 5
  11. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Sounds like they are “lucky” it only killed a couple program insiders (a player and recruiting staffer). Makes it much easier to cover up. If they had killed a few random folks not affiliated with UGA, then maybe there’s more outrage and people start looking at the program as a public menace.

Wonder what the parents of the girl think of their daughter getting thrown under the bus relative to the future NFL money maker, but there’s also no denying she was responsible for her own actions too… no innocent parties involved here.

12. ETGator

Sep 15, 2007
    I read it to say he had already, just minutes earlier, stopped two other LegHumpers for speeding. It didn't say whether they got tickets. It probably depended on their speed and that's normal officer discretion. Also sounds like this was a traffic car.

13. GatorToTheEnd

GatorToTheEnd VIP Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Pensacola, Fl
    If the officer had written the ticket for 90mph it would have been an automatic trip to jail is what I have heard. There in lies the pass.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

That makes sense and as someone who collected speeding tickets in my more irresponsible days, I appreciate that.

A Houston cop once wrote me up for 45 in a 35 after diving off I-45 to catch me on the feeder road. He laughed and said “I don’t know how fast you were going but by the time I clocked you at 100 you were already slowing down”. I think it helped that I was already standing next to my car with my hands in the air by the time he came down the exit ramp and pulled up :cool:

I thanked him for the ticket

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    That is a wild ass guess.

16. colombiangator

colombiangator Freshman

Aug 26, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  17. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    It just dawned on me that our own Katie Turner spent 2 years working in the recruiting office of UGA before coming over to the Florida. She has an NC ring.
    She should know all the dirt on the program since she was witness to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
  19. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019

We got it all wrong guys. Carter is the victim. Listen to this attorney......

SMH

20. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Corruption rears its ugly head again. Is there any institution/industry in this country that isn't marred by shadiness and dirty tactics? Ugh. RIP to those involved, a series of poor decisions led to the loss of life and that unfortunately can't be reversed.

• Agree Agree x 3