Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Georgia OL Devin Willock, recruiting staffer die in car crash [Developments at #68 -- #283 -- #289]

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorGrowl, Jan 15, 2023.

1. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    I disagree in part.

What the Alabama player did was criminal, IMO.

However, I think this could easily be charged as involuntary manslaughter . . . in addition to leaving the scene of an accident that results in death (if Alabama has a similar law) and lying to the police (which I'm sure they have somewhere on the books). Involuntary manslaughter is a felony and the other two should be as well.

Look at the prosecutors similar actions . . . nothing one case. A slap on the wrist in the other. Misdemeanors (traffic ticket) only.

Maybe we have an Georgia lawyer who knows more about that state's specific laws . . .

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

What do laws have to do with this? Athens is beginning to sound like Tallahassee

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Yeah, I mean it’s not like he shot the president

Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
  4. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    I agree that saying he killed someone is a bit extreme however his actions were more contributory to someone's death than just being a participant in racing gone bad. Did he see the crash? If he saw the crash did he stop at all? If he stopped what exactly did he do from that point on? Lot to process still.

5. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I wonder what GA state law has to say about illegal street racing? Some states (esp with issues with street racing) treat it quite harshly. It’s a crime, with certain crimes if there’s a death attached to the actions, you get charged for the death even if you didn’t directly cause it. In this case not 1, but 2 deaths.

If the cars touched in any way, you have the “leaving the scene of a fatal accident” aspect. You have possible intoxication. If the cars contacted that would make this all a no brainer. But even if they didn’t touch, you still have the alleged street race. Although proving that may be difficult if nobody is cooperating and UGA is inclined to cover up (with the cops also being willing participants) obviously the defense team and people wanting it swept under the rug would be eager to call it a single car accident and blame the girl. The problem for those inclined to dismiss this, is if you let it slide you may be letting a public menace off the hook. He can down the road kill a random innocent person like that former Bama player did in Oakland, literally causing a woman and her dog to be burned alive in their Toyota Rav 4 after his corvette slammed into them from behind at racing speed.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    I agree about the problem with his actions post crash. That clearly is a major problem and sounds like a legitimately serious criminal one

Racing obviously should be banned. I’m not justifying that. I just pause at the saying that he killed someone. To me it’s not much different than partying with someone who drinks too much and overdoses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ETGator

Sep 15, 2007
    I understand and agree. Maybe a better way to put it is that he possibly "played a role in the death of . . ."

I'm sure the lawyers have swarmed all over the civil lawsuits like @62gator mentioned.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Not surprised by your response. If this was a UF player and Napier the coach, you would be campaigning for prison time.

9. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Racing cars is dangerous... especially if you are drunk.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. ETGator

Sep 15, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 2
  11. hawaiigator

hawaiigator GC Legend

Sep 9, 2018
    It takes 2 to tango and it takes 2 to race. One way or another, he contributed to the death of others. Killed….ok I see your point, but contributed none the less.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. hawaiigator

hawaiigator GC Legend

Sep 9, 2018
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. bottledigger

bottledigger All American

Aug 26, 2007
    Connecticut
    My reaction to that message too. Reeks of lawyerese. I should know - I am one LOL!

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    $100 says 90% of star athletes have never used or even know the word exonerated.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  15. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    Maybe a better way is to say he hauled ass after it happened and valued his own financial well being over that of his dear friends who sat bleeding out in a badly wrecked car.

16. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    He'll pay a fine and maybe do some community service and walk away, in a few years the pups will bring him back to celebrate their title and their fans will cheer wildly for a guy involved in ending others lives.

Classy program.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    You can sidestep the paywall by using the reader version

Bryan Gantt is the UGA cleaner. He is involved in all police matters and football players often. This reeks of fsu manipulation of law enforcement to protect the football program and has been in place since kirbys arrival. There appears to be 5 players potentially involved to some degree. FYI the fixer earns 209k/yr

It’s a good read i look forward to others chiming in with their thoughts

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. ETGator

Sep 15, 2007
    I'm sorry. I'm on Brave (browser) and it bypasses a lot. I didn't realize there was a paywall.

If anyone ever has trouble with a paywall just send me a PM. I'll send you one @hawaiigator.

@31g8r is right . . . it certainly reeks.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    This whole situation is disgraceful in so many ways. Two female UGA staffers-- one a recruiting coordinator-are out drinking with UGA players at titty bars until the early morning hours. I'm sure the recruiting coordinator knew which titty bars to take the boys to. The recruiting coordinator was plastered; a blood alcohol level that high in a female indicates that she was wasted. Nonetheless, she decides to race another Georgia player, who was also probably drunk, but the cops didn't bother to test him. The other occupants of the wrecked car were probably also hammered, but because they weren't charged with any crime, we will never know.

Then Carter apparently leaves the scene of a horrible crash, which he should have known was likely to have fatalities, offers no aid to his friends, then lies to police. That would not have resulted in a misdemeanor charge in Florida.

This tells you all you need to know about what is going on at UGA and in Georgia, yet the media seems disinterested. Had this happened at UF, the media would have been in a daily frenzy, slamming UF, our president, UAA and demanding that Napier be fired. Not in leghumper land.

If this had happened at UF

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  20. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    The leaving the scene of the crash likely knowing his teammate was deceased is a dirt bag move. If he was JUST following behind and had a couple of drinks at the titty joint and didnt want to get in trouble. Extreme dirt bag move.

Street racing the car in a $100K 707 HP Hellcat motor equipped car is contributing to the deaths of 2 people. I dont need to be a lawyer to know that morally. Now I know my moral compass doesnt carry any weight in a courtroom. But lets please not act like he was just casually following some recruiting bling who had to many drinks driving a UGA sponsored vehicle. If they were in fact racing like the reports state. He is complicit in the deaths of both of those people.

I hate if for the young ladies family because they are going have to endure her name being dragged through the mud for making a tragic mistake. It was a terrible decision but it not like she was single handedly driving 104 MPH just for the hell of it.