Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Georgia OL Devin Willock, recruiting staffer die in car crash [Developments at #68 -- #283 -- #289]

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorGrowl, Jan 15, 2023.

1. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Damn dude that is cold! You’re better than that aren’t ya ?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Call me a skeptic Wing, but the car took out two power poles, bounced off a tree, and ended up jammed against an apartment building some distance away. Two people died, one at the scene, another (the driver) later, and a third woman was seriously injured. It was a single car accident at 2:45 am.

This is not a routine mistake by a driver. The car could not have been traveling at a low rate of speed to do that much damage, and so severely traumatize the occupants of the vehicle.

With all due respect to Dawg fan from Alabama re: his initial reports of "all good", the toxicology report is most certainly not available yet, nor is the traffic homicide report anywhere near complete.

I guess we shall see.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. DawgFanFromAlabam

DawgFanFromAlabam GC Hall of Fame

Apr 18, 2007
    I did say “initial results.” I assume this means no alcohol (bottles, cans) found in the vehicle. No smell of alcohol evident. They may find alcohol was a contributing factor.

It is not unheard of for folks to hit the gas instead of the brakes under duress. My mom did during an accident. The report stating no obvious speeding may well mean no skid marks to use to judge the speed.

I’ll just wait for the report - not that it matters much as it won’t bring those young people back. I just heard Philip Lutzenkirken’s mother on Finebaum. My wife worked with her when Philip died in a horrific crash at Auburn. Broke my heart for that poor woman. Broke my heart. How it happened didn’t matter to her and doesn’t really matter here. The kids are gone. My thoughts are to pray for healing for their families and not trying to assign blame. The truth and results of the investigation will be revealed at a later date. God help their friends, teammates and families. And I would feel that way regardless of where they matriculated and played ball.

• Agree x 4
    • Winner x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • Best Post Ever x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    Yeah, definitely not a low speed crash. Why did the vehicle leave the road will be the primary focus.

Police investigate car crash that killed University of Georgia football player and staffer following championship celebration

5. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs Junior

Apr 9, 2007
    Players are told to call staffers if they need a ride at the end of the night from downtown so that nobody is driving under the influence, which is the most likely reason why they were all together. I'm sure something will eventually come out as to what happened with the high rate of speed of the car, but I would be shocked if it comes out she had been drinking.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    People who don't wear seat belts. I guess it's a freedom thing.

Take my freedom and strap me in.

8. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Funny enough I have a seat belt on in the front seat 100% of the time. No variance. But until my son was ejected out of the back seat of his buddies car I never wore one in the back seat. I guess my mindset was it was illegal to not wear one in the front seat. In talking to people since his accident alot of them were just like me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    No seatbelts on in the back. There were shenanigans going on and the driver had her eye in the rear view mirror more than looking at the upcoming curve in the road......

Yes I know it's an assumption.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Amen on every word my friend.

11. capegator

capegator Freshman

Sep 5, 2008
    They've now confirmed that excessive speed was a factor. It will be a while before toxicology info. UGA better be gearing up for some major legal liability issues. University employee driving at excessive speed. Driver was an adult. Were the others of age? 2 female staffers with young players at 2:45 AM. Was (is) this a regular practice at UGA?

12. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
  13. HomeGrownGator

HomeGrownGator Senior

Jun 4, 2007
    Hairy. Condolences to your Georgia brethren for this tragic accident. :(

In theory the policy of having players request a ride home after a long night sounds like a great idea. However in light of the fact that the family appears to have sought out legal counsel I wonder if that policy opens the university up to liability. Without a policy in place this could just be chalked up to a friend giving another friend a ride home and I assume liability would end with the driver.

Again I’m saddened to hear about this tragedy but wondered what others thought about the potential legal exposure UGA might be facing.

14. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I would be surprised to hear that UGa doesn't have sovereign immunity of some sort. The young lady's insurance/family will surely be in the crosshairs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. GatorBowl1969

GatorBowl1969 Junior

Jul 4, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. LearnedGator

LearnedGator Sophomore

Sep 15, 2013
    Buffoonery

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Probably all over billboards throughout Georgia. The fine art of ambulance chasing. Disgusting hardly describes it for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    They had to do toxicology once she got to the hospital, because she was apparently still alive. If they were treating her, they would have needed that information, very badly.