Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator football under NCAA investigation?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Rkb75, Jan 19, 2024.

1. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    With talented players spread out over the country “stockpiling” talent at Bama to keep it away from AU isnt necessary those players are at a different school already. Ty he GS ane today is develop the BEST talent you can sign, to be ready to contribute early. Current top flight schools don’t gave 4-5 yr development plans even for lineman. They are signing the necessary players yearly as transfers

2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I think Washington and Michigan were pretty veteran homegrown teams. Everyone uses the portal to an extent but the older more experienced teams will be at a great advantage.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    Or.... you could wait until after he was with the Cowboys and came back to work on his degree during the summer and he was buying drinks at Congo Craigs (this was my best Emmitt moment).

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    Yes for the top 85, they aren’t hoarding 20 additional players hoping to find diamonds develop that are portaling those guys

5. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    The good teams aren’t taking twenty guys at all.

6. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    Well let's just not play next season as Billy hasn't tried anything to upgrade these problems at all by adding recruits, xfers, or hiring ACs.... hang it up Gator Nation.... @gatorpa has spoken.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. I think Michigan and Washington expertly took advantage of a unique situation. They had the right idea using the transfer portal to keep the roster veteran-heavy, but they were lucky to have several super-seniors thanks to COVID. High school recruiting is still important in this NIL/ Transfer Portal era, but the winning coaches will be the ones who find the right mix of transfers and high school recruits.

Florida started 6 freshmen, 8 redshirt freshmen, and 7 sophomores. Neither Washington nor Michigan started any freshmen and both had 16-17 starting juniors & seniors (approximately 50% transfers) compared to Florida’s 2 starting seniors. The numbers might be off by a couple depending on the definition of “starter”, but this gets the point across. Compared to last year, the 2024 Gator roster has a lot more juniors and seniors (slightly more than 50% transfers).
    IMG_2759.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 27, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Sorry pd, not what I said at all man.

You suggested other coaches should be scared of BN, I countered with why, based on the last two years there is nothing to be afraid of currently.

On field results is what scares teams, TAAM had numerous high ranked recruiting classes, nobody was scared of them, so much so they paid a kings ransom to can the guy(who had actually won a NC at a P5 school).

We had an okay class and a good portal hitting places of need, time will tell if they guys coming in can jell and make a difference.
    Optimistic yep.

Thinking other teams are scared of BN at this point I don’t think so, maybe you were joking and I missed it.

9. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    I agree

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  10. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    An "ok class"?? 2 players in the top 4, a 92/93 average rating is "ok"?? And you're comparing Billy to a scumbag that kept a rapist on the team to win... stay negative, pa.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. uf1998

uf1998 Senior

Aug 19, 2023
    How is he wrong? It was a solid class, nothing spectacular. #13 on On3, #15 on 247, #15 on Rivals. I don't think it's wrong to describe it as an "okay" class, especially by SEC standards.

Not that it really matters, because I think Lagway is worth three 5-stars by himself. A generational talent and a complete program changer.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    13 th ranked class. is an okay class no matter how it gets spun. Let’s not forget it was top 5 until it fell apart. (that scares the competition).

I’m comparing results at the P5 level.

Is that not a fair thing to do?

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Some people like to read the class down by average stars when it helps their narrative.

I did say we’ve done very well in the portal at this point let’s see how the gel and if they are that good when they get on the field.
    If they flop it will be due to them not buying into the process, being lazy or being Mullen’s recruits. Oh wait the expiration date on that is past I think….

• Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  14. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    An "ok class" doesn't include the #1 QB #2 overall player & the #1 DE #4 overall. An "ok class" doesn't have a top 5 star average. An "ok class" is a class chocked full of 3* to get #s up. Jesus Christ what is your definition above "ok" then????

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    Hmmm.... Billy went for quality not quantity. The class "falling apart" let CBN grab some potential studs in the portal, plus adding Robinson & Grimsley. Is that "falling apart"? Also CBN just hired a ST's coach, is that "ok"?

16. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    It’s all okay and it is what it is.
    Still doesn’t prove any coach is scared of BN yet.
    Class going from top 5 to 13 is only scary for the fans.

Word was guys were leaving anyway and we would have slots for xfers.

Need an OC needed ST and better conditioning and better Defensive coaches as well, lots to fix and we have seemingly made progress.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1