Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2024 OFFICIAL ROSTER/Transfer Tracker/Lineup???

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 6, 2023.

1. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    The official score keeper must disagree with you? Uf website has the same numbers as Matherly. Have Ty credited with one more hit, Tanner with one less hit, Mikey with 10 more at bats, same amount of hits.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    What paidinfill said. I just grab these off the UF website. I have every once in awhile found something off but they usually are close to all the other stats presented in the game stats. That doesn't mean I'm closed minded to interpretations....HA

3. astrogator

astrogator Senior

Feb 20, 2024
    I think our starting pitching can take care of business this weekend. Just have to be extra careful of their two guys batting over .500 with 30+ ABs. Some freshmen are going to have to step up big time, the bullpen can’t rely on Slater and Neely all weekend. I think we have guys that are more than capable though. Hopefully the bats wake up this weekend, especially during the middle innings. Last year against Miami we had 35 hits across three games, batting .333 as a team.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. gatorsfan17_

gatorsfan17_ Freshman

Jul 19, 2023
    You were right the first time... my apologies. This is what happens when I tried to do things manually... but, yes the averages you posted were correct.

5. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    No problem, I'm always glad to see others wanting to contribute to this thread. The more stats and info to think about only helps generate positive conversation.

6. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I watched Sully's postgame PC and got interesting items of note. Menendez should be ready to go soon. They have been holding him back to give him more time to get ready. I'm unsure why but should be a help getting an extra arm available. Also Kurland will be hitting BP today for the first time since getting hit. This will be to see how he does and feels after as prep for Friday. Sully was also asked about Albert but he didn't offer any future possible info, only they knew he was a good player from our games against FAU and knew he would be a good backup for the infield.

7. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Our pitchers this weekend IMHO should look like....

Friday - Fisher, Slater, Neely
    Saturday - Peterson, Satin, Philpott/Whitmer
    Sunday - Cags, Smith, Jameson, Whitmer(if not used Sat) and Slater/Neely if needed

These all assume the starters go 4 innings at least (yes I said assume), Friday and Saturday games go as planned, and we have other arms available for short stays as needed like Purnell, McNeillie, and Clemente. Anything more might be Katie bar the door. Since Sully mentioned Menendez in the PC, he might be trying to get him a short appearance this weekend since he is from Miami along with Gomberg and a few others. That's only if we get a decent lead.

• Like Like x 1
  8. astrogator

astrogator Senior

Feb 20, 2024
    Sproat, Waldrep, and Cags all went 6 innings in last year’s series. Hopefully we can keep the pitch count low and our starters can go that deep again. Looking back it was one of Cags’ best starts. 1 run on 4 hits, and 8 strikeouts to just 1 walk.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The potential is there.....but 2 starters have matching ERA's of 9 and haven't gotten thru 4 innings. And the third is a true freshman on his 2nd weekend start. To be honest, Cags worries me the most....he can give you a great start if he's on, or be done in the 2nd inning. In 10 of 18 starts last year he didn't make it out of the 4th

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Looks/sounds like we’re going to be using the WAG method again this weekend….Time will tell.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Yep, and thats another good reason why Cags is the Sunday starter, so we dont chance burning the bullpen in game 1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I can confirm #18 does have a baseball glove that he sometimes wears. Oh the mystery.....

• Like Like x 1
  13. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Just for kicks, I'll put out the question, other than Cags, who do you think will have the best weekend for the Gators as a batter? Some might say Albert but you have to wonder how much does he play if Kurland is back? Some might say Kurland because he is itching to play again. Others might go with the easy hot hand pick of Shelton or maybe Shelnut. Or does anyone go with the long shot and say Donay? Myself I'm going to go with the guy I've been watching hit line drives all thru practice and say Heyman. He hasn't shown as well in games but I think he is due for a big weekend.
    What say you oh keepers of the thread???

14. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    All guesswork, but I'm going to say Kurland comes back with a vengeance.

• Like Like x 1
  15. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I like your pick the most

16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    I’m going with Heyman then Shelton….

• Like Like x 1
  17. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    ^^^I wouldn’t say Fisher struggled in his second start and in the first start, the problem pitches never made it to Luke.

18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Mat—

Your closing statement made me remember a back in the day story from my Chipola playing days—Coach Dungan had put our usually reliable closer in only to return to the mound 6 pitches and 2 doubles later. He looked at our catcher and said “Salters-what’s wrong Tim ain’t got anything on his pitches today?” Bobby answered “I don’t know Coach, one ain’t made it to me yet”…..:eek:

• Funny Funny x 5
  19. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Now that one really is laugh out loud funny. Thanks

20. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I don't mean to be overly dramatic but I think we look back at this first win in Miami as a big win on the season. Not because I think Miami will surprise lots of other teams, but how the Gators worked thru the game. For starters, most of our runs came in the middle innings. Two runs were from timely hitting, Robertson's single, who beat out a ground ball to short, and Albert's infield ground ball. Kurland and Cags batting 1/2 each got 3 hits and got some rallies going. The 3 HRs were all solo so we weren't relying on big shots to score our runs. Our batters got 10 hits in Miami and consistently kept pressure on the Miami defense and kept the crowd mostly quiet. Fisher wasn't his best but worked thru it and left with a lead. He will do better and should win plenty of games this year. Slater came in during a jam in an inning at a hostile ballpark, struggled, but then came back out and pitched as strong as we have seen, his usual self. That was big, not only for his growth, but showed the others how to get it done. Neely was Neely and prevented any runs from scoring even with runners on 2nd and 3rd in the 9th. There's plenty for Sully to build upon coming out of this game. Games two and three could be even better but this game might be where things started falling into place going into the SEC.

• Like Like x 2