Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2024 OFFICIAL ROSTER/Transfer Tracker/Lineup???

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 6, 2023.

1. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Sully really shared some interesting info about tomorrow's lineup in the postgame PC. He is still keeping Kurland out to be safe. Plus we face a LHP on Sunday. He didn't say it but you can tell he doesn't want to start the left-hand hitting Albert again at second. So Sully is moving Thomas to second (me likes) and bring in Shelnut to start at third (I didn't see that one coming). Thomas always showed great range last year playing backup at second. Sully said he has Guy for another start in the OF. My guess its Robertson in LF, Guy in CF, and Evans in RF. Robertson did not hit LHP very well last year so I'm unsure where he bats or if he even starts. Maybe Sully looks to Brookins who has been Shelnut's backup in practice in LF. Either way Sully said they are going to shake some things up for tomorrow. I guess I'll be sitting in church checking to see when the lineups get posted. HA HA

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Comments from Game 2 with Columbia.....
    1. Another night of error free baseball for the Gators. Well done boys!
    2. The bats cooled against some pretty good pitching. The Lions starter had good control mostly. I was impressed how many first pitch breaking balls for strikes he threw early on. Our hitters were guessing at his locations even on some of the fastballs. Cags had another night, even outhitting his own team, 4 hits to 3.
    3. Props to the freshmen pitchers Peterson, McNeillie, and Clemente. They almost got the shutout up until the 2 out 2 strike pitch in the 9th. Clemente was ready to leave drag marks as he walked off the mound if the hopeful last pitch would have got by Hage. Sully has to be happy these young arms are stepping up and stepping into bullpen roles for the team.
    4. Lots of shakeups coming to the lineup tomorrow as noted above, so Sully is using the Kurland absence to open up some things and add one or two more right hand hitters to the lineup. I like it. I hope we see a few bunt attempts to test the defense some as well.
    5. After Cags starts on the mound, Sully is looking forward to getting Slater and Neely back out there more. But he still wants to sprinkle in some time for a few freshmen. I'm hoping for Menendez, Satin and maybe Grayson Smith.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Agree with you here on using our freshman arms in relief on our weekend games. As far as I’m concerned Jameson and Purnell can make their plea for PT during midweek games. They seem determined to prove that their way works and we all know how that party ends.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Here's a lineup possibility to ponder. Shelnut has been somewhat shaky out in LF getting comfortable on pop flies. He doesn't look like he knows where the ball is going every now and then. Seems to make a good jump and reaction but starts shuffling his feet when trying to spot the landing. Wyatt took a few strange directions getting to the ball early in his development but he still got there in a hurry.

So what I propose is Sully might try Shelnut in the DH a few games and give Yost and Brookins more time in some games in LF. Sully could also put Guy in CF and Robertson in LF but Guy's bat looks to have less potential than Donay at DH as it sits now. If Brookins or Yost prove to be better hitters then Sully gets a better defensive player in LF, keeps a good hitter in CF with Robertson, and certainly gets a really good hitter in the DH spot. Therefore we get better hitting in the lineup and better defense in LF. The season is still young so now's the time to take a look maybe in the midweeks.

5. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    I’d also be for Shelly at 3rd, with the dh left open for the hot bat.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Yeah I don't expect Thomas to hit much over 250 by year's end or even lower but I'm not sure I'm ready to sit him if Kurland is ready to play back at second. I think for today Shelnut at 3rd was a great idea by Sully with Thomas at second. I'll hold off on Shelnut at 3rd for now but it could happen and still give us the improvements as said. Granted Donay has started hitting better so he just might pan out as well.
    Next weekend in Miami might really show us some holes to fill.

7. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Lots of options.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I could see this as a real possibility.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. 82Gator

82Gator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I thougt Menendez had TJ surgery a few weeks before the season and is on the shelf this year?

10. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Are you thinking of Caden Mcdonald? Or maybe Christian Rodriguez?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. 82Gator

82Gator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ah, yes. It was Rodriquez I was think of.

12. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Regardless of how good the freshmen pitchers are doing, let's not forget many other "experts" were saying Rodriguez was our best arm coming in this year. That's not to doubt their opinion but to remind everyone the cupboard already has some good potential for next year.

13. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    Clearly, Shelnut's offense surpasses Thomas and my impression is Shel's glove and arm at third are as good or better. Kurland is superior to Thomas, as well. If there is an OF, such as Yost or Brookins, who has consistently stronger offense than Thomas, he may end up with a role similar to last year. He really has a good mix of positives, especially his spark and his experience. Of his four hits, two are doubles, plus an HR, and he has six BB, an HBP and the only sac bunt on the team, so his .222 BA doesn't fully show his offensive performance. On the other hand, he's in his final year and has no time for development, while the OF and IF frosh probably will have years to contribute. When Kurland returns, I believe Thomas at 3B and Shel in left is the best lineup, but I see Thomas as at highest risk of losing his job in the near future. I feel certain that after a couple SEC series, very little I've said in this post will still apply.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  14. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Unless he's hurt, I don't see Ty Evans moving away from RF. Shelnut will play LF or 3B.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    I think you're right on. O'Sullivan tends to open the season by giving his veterans the first opportunity to win a starting role, then adjusts with the younger guys if any of them stumbles. Remember last year when Deric Fabian was the Game 1 second baseman? It didn't take Kurland long to take over that position. I'm like you and all other posters who love to speculate and give our reasons why we think certain things should or could happen and then we sit back and watch when things often turn out way different than what we thought. Every once in a while we get lucky and guess right, but that's the fun of being on these threads.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    I thought Shelnut faired well with his time at 3rd base this past weekend.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Obviously anyone at 3rd has to handle the hot corner better than the rest. Having range rarely matters more than reaction on hard hit balls. That said one thing that could be the difference maker whoever ends up at 3rd is the ability to charge a slow roller/bunt and make a good throw to first. So far Thomas gets to those balls but doesn't have the time or arm to make the throw. Last year Shelnut never seemed adequate with those plays as well. Halter had the arm to throw out a few runners if he got to the ball. Thus Halter played the most at third. Hot shots to 3rd and protecting the line are what matters most so I don't want to get caught up with bunts but all being the same bunts are a whole different approach to the position.

18. FANEVER

FANEVER VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sorry if I missed it but what is the status of Christian Rodriguez?

19. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    IR TJ

20. FANEVER

FANEVER VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Thank you. What does TJ stand for?