Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2024 OFFICIAL ROSTER/Transfer Tracker/Lineup???

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 6, 2023.

1. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Notes on the night...

Robertson had a good BP hitting many liners to LCF, a good sign how his night will go.

Evans took BP but used some other bat, maybe wood, or something light because it only went thump and not ting when he connected. Maybe it has something to do with his injury???

#18 (trying to be PC here) was seen only in shorts and t-shirt, no throwing

Heyman had perfect throw downs to 2nd all night long. The other catchers had many throws as well but Heyman was the sharpest with good velo.
    Peterson had another great night going 5 innings, giving up only 2 hits, 1 run the HR, no walks, with 9 strikeouts. His HR was a 3-2 fastball over the heart. The other hit was a double from Guy on another 3-2 pitch.

The best pitch by Peterson was his brilliant curve facing Wilson in his 3rd inning of work. I forget the count but Peterson crossed up Wilson as he was either swinging early or maybe squaring to bunt. Either way Wilson saw the pitch heading for his head and ducked to get out of the way. As you would think, the ball made the hard turn and fell off the table right over the plate into Heyman's glove. All Wilson could do was hug his bat while he watched it go by right in front of his face. The ump gave a very casual strikeout call as he felt bad for the hitter. It was like the ump was motioning there's nothing more I can do to help you. Take a seat. Peterson is going to make plenty of SEC hitters look really bad this year.

The final line score was
    Orange 1 run on 3 hits with no errors.
    Blue 3 runs on 9 hits with no errors.

Just about every Blue hitter had 1 hit. Heyman was the only player with 2 hits, both singles. Robertson had the big hit HR of the night off of Smith.

Peterson, Slater, Neely, Jones all pitched very well. That was a great sign for things to come. Only Grayson started rough giving up the 2 run HR in 1 inning of work.

One last note, Garrison did a great job catching for Jones in the 6th and 7th. Jones threw more than several in the dirt in the 7th where Garrison stopped every one. This was the same inning that Blue got the first two runners on and Jones had to rely on his curve and slider to get thru it. Without Garrison that could have turned into a big inning for Blue.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    Thanks 87, sounds like a great night of baseball. Peterson is the Man. By your line he had 7 Ks in 5 innings and other than Albert HR (AA hit a blast yesterday as well) he was flawless. Neely looks ready too. Interesting to hear about the jawing between Thomas and Slater and hope it's all part of highly competitive guys ready for action. You mention Donay's "ugly" AB and he had another K in the game.... that's what I've seen as well. He seems to be hit or miss but can be fooled with breaking pitches. One note: Yesterday, Fisher pitched very well against the "A team" (minus Heyman) today Peterson and Neely pitched against what is mostly the "B team." Small point but there it is. Peterson has the potential to be one of the greats.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I felt, after watching the outburst in the park, this was a result of players getting tired of facing each other. Classic case of the same batters have been seeing the same pitchers either way. Yes the two of them went over the top on both sides and we have to hope they hit the locker room and hugged it out. As long as they put it to rest its unlikely Slater will pitch any more live action before Friday, at least not to Thomas. I was a little surprised the coaches let them sort it out themselves and no pause in the action before the next pitch.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Thomas needs to tone it down. Slater had every right to call him out. Sully better get that settled or it could divide a clubhouse. Thomas needs to put up legit stats before he even thinks about showing up his own teammate. Just because you're inflated like a helium balloon doesn't give you additional clout.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    After a good showing at scrimmages this weekend, the team is settling in to their positions quite well. OF might still be a work in progress but we have prime players ready to step up if needed. The rotations on the mound seem to be falling into place. Although I noticed Cags did not pitch this weekend. Unknown at this point what the practice schedule is for this week but I wonder if he being held out because of his last outing which was a mess.

Friday can't get here soon enough. I think the one thing I'm looking forward to is seeing how well the starters hit against somebody else's pitching for a change. Guys like Cags, Heyman, and Kurland need a good challenge to get there juices going and I expect to see them get off to a hot start. Then you throw in a surprise freshman or two in Yost or Brookins and see how they handle it. Lastly you wonder if Brody Donay gets a hold of one and sends it over the batter's eye how the crowd reacts to that one.

Then of course we get to see all the freshmen pitchers come thru with Peterson leading the way on Saturday. On Friday we should see a lockdown effort by Fisher, then Slater, and Neely to close. But the last two days could see several freshmen after Peterson in Jones, Satin, maybe McNeillie for a short stay, Philpott, Smith. Whitmer, and Menendez, in no particular order. Sully has plenty to look at.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL

• Like Like x 1
  7. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    I just watched a Sully interview on WCJB (local TV) and Sully was discussing the key "strength up the middle" -- lauding the multiple catcher options, Shelton and Kurland combo and.... Mikey in CF "who's had a great Fall and Spring" With Evans out it may still mean that Guy starts in CF for now but by Sully's tone he leans toward Mikey. The interview had the Robertson catch in Omaha over the audio. We shall see who can hit in pre-season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    87, thanks so much for all the detailed updates. But what's the story with Ty Evans. Is he still hurt or his recovery just taking more time? And if he can't start in RF, who will it be? I think Robertson will be the centerfielder, so do they put Guy in RF or is a freshman the better candidate? And when will Evans be at full strength, or does anybody know yet?

9. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    No one knows for sure. My best guess will be Robertson on CF and the freshman Yost in RF. Yost has been hitting well and can cover pretty good ground in the OF. Many of us like Guy in CF which might put Robertson in RF but I don't think Guy's bat has been steady enough for the opening day start. I'm sure Guy will play some the first weekend but remains to be seen. If Guy plays it will not be in RF because every day at practice he is always in CF.

As for Evans, he is still wearing the wrist wrap/compression glove on his right hand. He has been allowed to take BP and play in the OF but no live action. My guess they don't want him taking another shot to the same wrist on any inside pitches for now. It's unknown when he will be cleared for full duty.

One other OF to look for is the freshman Brookins. He has primarily played in LF as Shelnut's backup but he is also pushing for playing time from good results at the plate as of late.

Side note...
    Donay came here as a C/OF and might get limited opportunity at an OF position down the road but so far he mainly plays C or 1B and could easily be the DH on days Cags is at 1B and Heyman is at C.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    IN the 3rd photo you can see Evans second from the left wearing the wrist protector. He looks better than last year body wise so there's not much else holding him up by the looks of things.

11. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Ty is recovered from the fall injury (hernia). The hand injury looks relatively minor. It is still something though, and he’s missed a lot of work in the fall and spring. He’s not a shoo-in at this point, imo. There’s four veteran options for the OF including him, and at least two freshman pushing for pt too, imo. Missing all of fall, and being severely limited in spring is not helping him.

After getting hit in the hand, he sat out a few days, no drills or bp. Since then he’s been participating in all the outfield drills, and has been in the field for at least some scrimmages, but not in the batting lineup. I know matherly is saying he’s participating in bp, but I haven’t seen it. I see him standing behind the cage next to sully, but haven’t seen him in it to do anything other than bunt. I have missed the last few days, but I’ve seen other posts saying he was taking bp just a day or two after the injury. I never saw that, and he is one of the guys I try to pay attention to.

*I could be wrong, it happens.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    Even before the hand injury, I noted that Evans was not running well. In a Spring scrimmage, he was taking short choppy steps (not striding) trying and failing to reach two balls that were slicing away from him- toward the line. It was obvious he was not anywhere near 100%.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    Among the freshmen OF vying for PT, (in scrimmages I attended) Brookins has been more productive than Yost. Some other commentators give Yost the nod. In my view, Brookins has more pop and runs very well for a big guy. I would give him a slight advantange at this time.

• Like Like x 1
  14. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    I think he just has an awkward gait, lol. He looked ok to me last week. I don’t think a hernia affected how he runs. Other than limiting strain, a hernia had minimal affect on my day to day after a week, and I was 20 years older than him when I had the surgery.

15. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    I like Brookins too. I still probably agree with others that Yost is a little further ahead, but I like them both. I definitely think both should be a part of the conversation.

*With 4 vets likely in front of them, I don’t know how many opportunities I can reasonably expect either of them to be given, no matter how much I’d like to see it. All bets are off if the vets have any struggles though. With the transfer portal you never know what rosters will look like a year out, but I definitely love the idea that these two guys will be ready to go out of the gate next year.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    He was definitely not running well. Saw several balls in scrimmages that he would normally get to and he wasn’t anywhere close.

• Like Like x 1
  17. gatorsfan17_

gatorsfan17_ Freshman

Jul 19, 2023
    (Oh, my...)

18. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Wow that's news. I don't think anyone has seen that from him at a scrimmage. Wonder how much it was wind aided.

19. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    Good points in the post, but given the solid defensive skills of the frosh, if one or both are hitting, they'll play. Brookins has been hitting VERY well lately, including a nice number of extrabase hits. His bat was dead in the fall, but maybe he recently got new contact lenses. Sully respects experience and maturity, but a toddler who hits will show up in the lineup.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    From what I've heard, a freshman outfielder will become a regular starter at some point this season.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2