Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2024 OFFICIAL ROSTER/Transfer Tracker/Lineup???

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 6, 2023.

1. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Thought I saw Coppola shagging flys again during bp, but did not see him warm up or participate in any other drills.

Donay hit some BOMBS in bp. Luke and Jac had some back and fourth action in bp too. Both hit some big shots.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    All done here at the Condron. Cags went 2 for 2 with a double and one glove knocked off. Both Fisher and Peterson were sharp.
    My one concern was watching Evan's in RF. He had two flyballs at the wall towards the corner and he struggled to get there. I don't mean like usual. He really looks slow and was lumbering to get there. He looks like he lost his stride. He was unable to make a catch on either fly ball. So for me, RF is still open. But who plays there is an unknown at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 3
  4. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    A few other odds and ends....
    1.Early on the team practiced infield in the shift. This went on for awhile and made me wonder is Sully planning on using it more often this year. Perhaps as a deterrent for teams like LSU, FSU that use plenty of LHH.
    2. I must say I was impressed by the freshmen backups in the infield. During double play practice they fielded cleanly, threw crisp passes to second, and used good footwork turning two. I saw no drop off if it was a starter or a backup during this drill. That said Mammau made an error on an easy grounder during the scrimmage right after he made a great diving play before that.
    3. Shelton impressed me with his inside outside swing going oppo to start his BP. He should hit plenty of doubles this year if he keeps doing that.
    4. Cags had his best BP since I've seen him. It felt like a MLB homerun derby out there. His two hard hit line drives in the scrimmage were no surprise. The crowd there was in awe.
    5. With very few hits today it will be important to see how the hitting goes as we work our way thru the arms this week. The radar numbers were not posted until the second inning but Peterson hit 95 and Fisher was anywhere from the upper 70's to 90/91.
    6. Speaking of Peterson, man does he have a breaking ball. When he throws it for a strike a RHH has no chance. He must be targeting around the hitters head and then it takes a hard left about 15 feet in front of the plate and dives across the plate. It breaks from the hitter's head to the catcher's right knee, and I'm not talking roundhouse break, but a hard sudden turn. If he gets ahead, it should become his put out pitch as we watch hitter after hitter drag their bat behind them on the way to the dugout.
    7. Between Fisher and Peterson they had no trouble except Peterson messed up and threw Cags a 2-2 fastball that Jac left a dint on the RCF wall for a stand up double. As @gator1977 can attest, I was yelling "Whatever you do, don't throw Jac a fastball."
    8. Someone on here should start a pool thread for everyone's guess how many HRs Jac will have this year. After today, 33 seems very low.

• Like Like x 1
  5. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    A sharp crisp 4 innings with Fisher and Peterson looking the part as Friday/Saturday SPs in their 2 innings each and Purnell and Satin both doing their bit for the 1-1 outcome. As Matt/87 points out, it was very surprising to see Evans chasing two flyballs that were slicing away with very short choppy steps- not striding or reaching top speed at all-- Not sure what's up with that but worth keeping an eye on as scrimmages progress. Cags seems unable to hit anything but blistering line drives or booming shots in BP-- sky's the limit on his HR production this year-- if he can remain disciplined on pitches, as he was today. Great to be back at the Park and seeing our new crop of players coming together as a team

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    Question for the panel: With LHPs Fisher and Cags weekend starters, three freshmen LHPs are on roster to contribute: Menendez, Gomberg and Satin. Satin has gotten a good look and is a strike thrower but does not bring heat- appears like a situational or one inning middle reliever. I've not seen Menendez and Gomberg (both well rated) so for those who are able to attend and report on scrimmages it would be good to have your views on their performance. Last year we could count on Fisher and Abner out of the pen, this year it's on the three freshmen-- who will emerge?

7. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    IN COPPLOLA WE TRUST!!!!
    :eek::eek::eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    What’s up guys? Hope everyone is doing well. Super excited about a super season getting ready to occur!!!

let’s go Gators!!!
    can’t wait to watch Peterson pitch and I’m actually pretty excited to watch Garrison catch… Love defense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    I feel like (Coppola) I heard he is throwing bullpens and should be ready in March. If this is known information, I apologize.

• Like Like x 2
  10. bigDgator

bigDgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think they will pitch around him just like the did Langford last year especially at the beginning of the year. Can't get frustrated, and just have to take you base until they throw you something.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Agree. And the guys hitting in front of and behind him are going to see better pitches and need to take full advantage.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. bigDgator

bigDgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It is such a tough thing when you are jacked up for a new season and want to hit the ball into outer space and they won't throw you anything to hit.

13. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    During fall workouts, I attended 3/4 of the scrimmages and saw a lot, but not everything. Menendez seemed to get more work early, but Satin got regular innings, too. I didn't see much of Gomberg until the second half of the fall. All three performed well enough for me to hope all three will contribute. As frosh, all have devlopment to do, but the whole group of frosh pitchers looked promising.

14. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    Thanks Boss, Gators need a reliable LHP or two in relief and hope that two or all three of these young guys can deliver.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I'm looking forward to getting out there for Wednesday's scrimmage. With the 3:45 scrimmage start I hope we get 5 innings or more. Also glad I'll see Cags, Peterson, Neely and a few others I haven't seen this spring. Big plus to see Peterson for a second outing as well.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    As always folks, welcome to today's edition of Gator baseball here at the Condron. We are finishing up the last few rounds of BP with a cool breeze blowing across the field from left to right and no cloud in the sky. Cags and Peterson are already warming up in the OF and the scouts are back.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    BREAKING NEWS
    Cags starts out giving up 4 runs with a 3 run HR to Garrison.
    Peterson had an outstanding beginning going 3 up 3 down with 2 SO.

18. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Do you think Garrisom will be the opening night catcher with Heyman at DH or vice versa? What about Donay? Thought?

19. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    No idea what sully thinks, but imo, luke and tanner have been more consistent both hitting and catching.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    My gut was that Heyman will be in the lineup almost every game, either at C, 1B or DH. Didn't know if Garrison or Donay were that versatile, but Luke had a really good freshman year and I expect him to be a mainstay in the middle of our lineup this year.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1