Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2023 Official Roster Tracker/Lineup???

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 12, 2022.

1. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    I agree that defense should be the priority. We should see the ball better and score more runs at our home park- especially vs non-SEC pitching.
    Langford in LF is best and I'd stay with Robertson in CF but hope the coaches can work with him and address his poor approach at the plate. I have no problem staying with Thomas at 3rd as his fielding is solid and Halter has made a few flubs in the seond half of season and was not seeing the ball well at the plate (though I'd not be surprised if Sully goes back to Halter). RF is the tough choice and Evans solid on D but seems particularly lost at the plate. I'd give Prevesk a shot but there must be something going on for Sully not playing him so Sully may stick with Shelly. We shall see but think we will hit once back at home. I assume rotation will be: Waldrep (vs #4 seed), Sproat, Cags.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Please, please, let Jac win it.

4. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    Has to be Jac or Grice and it’s a tough call. Grice has better pitching numbers (8-1 3.25) but Jac is 6-3 with better offensive numbers. I might be a little biased but have to go with Cags 6 wins on mound 350 hitter 28 HR 76 RBI playing his first full season of college baseball.

5. orlgator

orlgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    No issue with your lineup but your Friday starter being erased by FAMU is where I struggle. There is no chance I’m starting him Friday but thankfully no one pays me to make these types of decisions. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I just put Sproat since he's been the Friday starter and Sully doesn't like to make many starting pitcher changes unless something like the weather changes it for him. I prefer holding your best for the better competition and chancing it when you can. Trouble is as soon as you do fate happens and everyone wonders why you left best sitting on the bench.

7. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Win or go home so I think you see Halter. Sully knows what he gets with him and he’s capable of doing good things

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I think we all know FA&M hits really well against Tejeda, Jameson, and Purnell. Now we will find out how they hit against one of our weekend starters and guys like Slater and Abner, if needed. For what its worth Hartzog made an appearance in the last game we played and went 1 inning with no hits and only facing 3 batters in 17 pitches. We get a good lead ole Clete might get another chance. The Rattlers only trouble is we hit better against them with 4 doubles and 3 homeruns. I doubt they will start Jared Townsend again who went 2 innings and gave up 11 runs against us.

9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

I look for Shouppe to start the guy that threw 4,000 pitches last week—always looking for the spectacular performance from him.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Probably on a pitch count...no more than 130 so he can come back Sunday

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    From Sully's presser today this sounds like the lineup we go with. As Sully said the only decision left is 3B.
    P Caglianone
    C Riopelle
    1B Heyman
    2B Kurland
    SS Rivera
    3B TBD Halter or Thomas
    LF Langford
    CF Robertson
    RF Shelnut

Which makes the batting order easy to pick...
    Kurland
    Langford
    Cags/DH
    Rivera
    Riopelle
    Shelnut
    Heyman
    Halter or Thomas
    Robertson

FAMU has announced a RHP to start. Waiting to see which way that effects the 3B decision if at all.

12. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Yeah, that’s Hunter Viets, by far their best pitcher.

13. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    I hope he goes back to the experienced Halter.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Some of you have been asking about the recruits coming in with the portal now open and the draft upcoming. So here is the link that Ocala sent some time ago that I keep posted at the bottom of post #1.
    2023 Signees
    A look at Florida baseball's 2023 recruiting class
    My take, the strength of the class is with the pitchers, 11 of them in all and several are LHP as well. The unknown as usual will be the ones we don't get. Sully has an excellent reputation keeping pitchers so let's hope most all of them make it in. What's best is many of these pitchers are from pipeline schools like Stoneman Douglas, Calvary Christian, North Marion that are perennial powerhouses. Fielder wise we got a few infielders, a few outfielders, so Sully will be looking to fill a catcher spot this summer. I know little about the fielders but I am intrigued that we got another from IMG. Could he be a replacement for Rivera, tough to say, but we will have to see if he wants to stay with the program or be a portal hopper in time. Several pitchers are listed as outfielders as well but we don't have many spots to fill so look for them focus on pitching first.

15. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Just saw Clemente throwing to catcher with Kopp watching. Essentially a bullpen. Looked good.

16. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Hey @ocalaman, I believe you posted over the weekend about CFC winning the JuCo championship. Do you know if they used Karl Hartman, Gator transfer, much this past year?
    28 Karl Hartman RHP 6-3 220 R/R FR Merritt Island, Fla. / Rockledge*** Transferred to Central Florida College

17. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    He's not on their roster. Injury? 2022-23 College of Central Florida Baseball Roster

18. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Tried to fight a coach on the mound? Lol. J/K, no idea what happened to him. Kid looked like he had some potential, and definitely had some fire in his belly.

Most recent thing I can find on him is a short youtube clip from September of ‘22. Doesn’t look like he played anywhere in ‘23. I can’t find anything anyway.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
  19. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    My first look back at South Carolina shows me they are mainly a RHP team. They have 3 LHP and only Matthew Becker is a key starter for Game 3. The other 2 LHP have not thrown much. So most of our approach needs to be ready for RHP. Their main starters are Becker, Mahoney, and Sanders but Sanders was coming out of the bullpen his last 2 appearances. Hicks, normally a reliever, has started instead and done very well. Becker and Sanders usually do not last long like 3-5 innings and Mahoney goes more like 5-6. Their team ERA is just under 4.2 and the Gators are just above 4.6. Forecast calls for 50% chance of rain most everyday so that might factor into how these games play out.

SC hits at .275 and the Gators are at .294. Most here know SC has been struggling down the stretch but won 3 straight in their Regional and they swept us in Columbia earlier this season. I wish we had current side to side hitting numbers that might affect which players start. For instance Colby Halter went 1 for 11 in the series at Columbia but most of our guys struggled. Even Wyatt Langford, who was our leadoff all three games in the series, went 2 for 11. Riopelle was hitless in 10 at bats. Our two best hitters that series were Heyman and Kurland, each getting 4 hits, batting 5th and 6th in the lineup.

South Carolina is 10-10 on the road and 7-8 in SEC road games. 5 of those road wins came at Georgia and Miss State. Can the Gators capitalize on their home record of 33-6 and their 12-3 home SEC record? All three of our Gators starting pitchers took a loss in Columbia. Can each of them turn it around and improve their performance to bring home the win? Does Sully continue to help the offense with aggressive baserunning and dropping a few down instead of playing homerun ball against another homerun team? But most importantly, do the Gator fans show up in a bigger way than ever before to support the efforts of this team that won't quit?
    Go Gators!!!

• Winner Winner x 1