Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2023 Official Roster Tracker/Lineup???

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 12, 2022.

1. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    I know this isn’t the place, but wasn’t sure where to ask the question. How did JAC not win player of the year?
    Crews a star but Jac impacted his team two different ways.

2. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    IMO Crews had all the attention before the season. Jac as a pitcher was not outstanding but shows plenty of potential. Jac had a very good average so homeruns and RBIs was his big ticket. Crews already had the publicity train, CF defense, and all the hitting stats in his favor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If Jac would have pitched the entire year like he has the last 2 weeks then he would have won it IMO.
    He also needs to take a little off his swing also. I think he has a bunch of the other guys over swinging as well, especially Kurland. Way too much uppercut in his swing now as well. BT’s swing is pretty sweet these days!
    Need to get Rivera going again!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

87—

Is that a really polite way of saying that the media likes LSU more than they like UF?

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Have you compared Jac’s numbers to Crews? Why would Jac have to do that much more? He won on the mound and at a high level. 6-2 w 3.96 era not good enough???
    More home runs than Crews
    More RBI’s than Crews

why do you hold him to a much higher standard?

6. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Don’t disagree. None of that means he had a better year than Jac.

7. gatorstevelp

Apr 3, 2007
    Matherly spelled it out. Also Crews OB%……567 which is crazy. 50 points higher than Langford for comparison.
    Crews went into the season as a favorite and he did not disappoint. To knock off the favorite many times you have to take it to another level. Jac will be a favorite next year going into the season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    I’d say 28 homers- 76 RBI’s and 6 wins as a pitcher are another level.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    No but the media does prefer free corndogs anytime they can get them.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  10. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The guy batted close to .450 the entire season and will be the top choice in the draft. He deserved it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. gatorstevelp

Apr 3, 2007
    Shane no one disagrees that Jac had a phenomenal year but obviously it wasn’t enough to overcome the hype of Crews (deservedly so) and the kid not disappoint……

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Focusing on post season now.....we have a major problem with the bottom half of our order. Our last three batters have become almost automatic outs. Thomas had a little success, however his swing has more holes in it than a golf course. Robertson is absolutely lost. This is putting too much pressure on 1-5 or 6.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    We have to find someone there that can hit even a little.
    I wish Prevesk got consistent shots. Maybe he will get a shot in regionals??
    Couldn’t hurt to try.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Shelnut 2-25, Evans 1-28, Robertson 2-42, Halter 0-16......it's almost unbelievable we closed relatively well

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  15. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    The bottom of the order is a concern but I can point to a few others that have been less than productive lately. But the bottom 7-9 certainly more worrisome.
    Robertson's downward spiral at the plate has been painful to watch and his inability to bunt or go oppo is frustrating. With his speed one would think he would change his approach but he continues to try to try to pull and the outcome is often Ks, roll overs or pop ups. Shelly may have hit his ceiling of effectivenss and his defense is a liability. Not sure why Prevesk is not given a shot. It appears Evans and possibly Halter have lost all confidence so yes-- the bottom of the order is a major concern.
    BT's remarkable heroics masked these weaknesses. While we're on the subject: does Cags have to try to hit a 500' HR on every swing? He's had a bit of slide and seems to swing at everything he thinks he can reach with his bat. We have five days to address these issues.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I agree with most everything said. For me the frustrating part is who do you turn to. Prevesk might be an improvement at the plate but not by much. Fabian seems to be hit or miss. The Schiek seems to be out of money. Evans feels like a huge risk now to send to the plate. If I knew the current side to side numbers it might help but most of those are useless from the more current lack of success. If it were me, this Friday I'd go....
    2b Kurland
    CF Langford
    1b Cags
    SS Rivera
    C Riopelle
    DH Heyman
    RF Shelnut
    3b Halter/Thomas
    LF Fabian
    SP Sproat

If we get a big enough lead late bring in Robertson and Evans for defense in the OF. Halter only if we face a LHP to start.

17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

I don’t know the magic combination either. That said in playoff baseball I’ve got to put my best defense out in the field from the get go. If your defense is going to cost you runs then it’s really going to be tough to score enough runs.

Right now I just don’t see running Shelnut back out there—he’s a defensive liability and a less than average bat at best. I think Langford is at his best defensively in LF because of his familiarity with the position. He reads the ball off of the bat better than any other option we have to consider.

That said I’ve got to continue with the best defensive options and go with Robertson in CF and a toss up between Evans and Prevesk in RF.

Staying with the better defense I would say move Halter back in at third base.

I just hate to have less than our best defense on the field hoping we’ll hit enough to get by with late game defensive substitutions.

Regardless of who’s at bat for us we’re going to have to have better approaches for entire at bats not just “your pitch”, every AB. Work hard to keep yourselves in hitters counts and cut the plate in half—middle/in, fine pull it—that’s where it’s pitched and middle/away, hit it where it’s pitched and go with it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    LOL.

19. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Spoken like a true pitcher....LOL
    Naw I can't disagree either. The risk/reward earned for now is leaning to better defensive players. Same reason I put Halter back at third. No matter who else is in the bottom third of the order from the outfield, I wish the order from the dugout would be move the runner over with the more bunting, hit and runs, or simply hitting behind the runner. Don't care if its Fabian, Evans, Robertson, Schiek, anyone's pick, just advance the runner when the opportunity is there. I have to believe Fabian or Halter still can get a bunt down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Multi tasking, quite a skill set lol

• Funny Funny x 2