Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2023 Official Roster Tracker/Lineup???

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 12, 2022.

1. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Not bad for a kid who could have still been in high school.....
    [​IMG]

2. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Where has Carsten Finnvold gone?

3. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    A reflection on where we are at......

Before the season I made several innuendos about this team possibly making it to the College World Series and the Finale, if a few key hitters came thru and the bullpen found some consistency. I was focusing on Langford and Cags hitting 15-20 or more homeruns, Robertson leading off and maintaining an average around 290 or higher, Rivera stepping up his leadership and productivity at the plate, and Heyman getting his starting opportunity to contribute. 3 of those came thru and Robertson is a big help in the OF. I thought Evans was going to be our Most Improved Player, missed that one by a mile, but I also said Kurland had a knack for putting the bat on the ball to all parts of the field. No one, including Sully, knew Kurland was going to be the contributor he is now.

Pitching wise we all thought the weekend rotation was going to be great on a consistent basis but needed to find plenty of relief help. Both those have been hit or miss but at least we are hopeful there are better things ahead after this weekend. Sully seems to be.

My point is, we as fans keep going thru highs and lows depending on which week it is, whether its at home facing Vanderbilt or at South Carolina less than a month ago, sorry for that memory. In that same span we are 7-5 in conference play. Right now we are on cloud 9 seeing our ranking soar in hopes that St Nick will soon be here. This is not intended to be a downer but maybe a small reality check to not get over hyped yet. Don't get me wrong, I'm still hopeful as ever that this team is destined for the CWS, more than any team since 2018, 2020 aside.

So we may not play as well this weekend, but realize we are 30-6 at home. If we get a top 8 seed then our opportunity to advance is huge. We just have to play at Kentucky and then Hoover to get there and we are 10-6 away from Condron Ballpark. This season can be special but it still might be a rollercoaster ride to get there.

Last edited: May 15, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    In case you missed it......
    Sully said in the Sunday postgame press conference that the decision to not start Waldrep on Sunday was the upcoming short week for the Thurs/Fri/Sat weekend. Sully's plan is to start Waldrep Thursday with the long rest, Sproat on Friday a normal 7 day turn around, and Cags on Saturday. With that in mind, I agree with Sully it probably gives us our best chance to go win the series in Lexington. I believe winning 2 in Lexington locks us into a top 8 seed, no matter if we go 1 and done in Hoover.

5. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Matherly, love your material but please use more paragraph breaks. It can look daunting without them.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Fixed it kind of.
    And thanks

• Like Like x 1
  7. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    I thought Sully might do exactly that: start Waldrep Thursday on long rest, Sproat in normal Friday night slot and Cags- perhaps on short leash given he threw 100+ pitches on Sunday in tossing his gem. I give us a very good shot of winning the series in Lex.
    I'm feeling pretty good about the the four lead guys out of the Pen: Neely, Slater, Abner, Fisher and an inning here and there from Ficc.
    Still need to ID a fourth starter, just in case and that would fall on Slater or Neely.
    Some lineup thoughts: I would keep Shelly in RF but have Heyman ahead of him in the order. Halter and Fabian at 3rd? Tough call at this point- Deric looked less than stellar at the plate Sunday vs RHP but made a couple of outstanding plays at third that I am not sure Halter would have made. Deric taller and rangier than Halter but Halter the veteran. Tough call but perhaps go with lefty- righty plattoon.
    Langford is seeing the ball very well and seems to have hit his stride with power- so keep that going and we'll be fine. Clearly the injury and time off set him back mid season but he's coming on big time and just in time.
    On Kurland- man the kid is a marvel and to think we have him for two more seasons! Ditto with Luke.
    Let's get after 'em in Lex and come home with a National Seed all sewn up!

PS: SEC channel's Dellucci has Gators as top team in SEC and Fitt of D1 wrote the Gators look "scary." All good signs of where we stand in the eyes of opinion makers... Go Gators!

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Couple of things, I'm still cautious on Fisher. Yes he would be my 4th pick as well but I'd keep him on a short leash. Agree on Shelnut in RF and I'm not sure why Sully would drop Heyman in the lineup. I'm not assuming Deric is the answer at third after only two good games at the plate. Kentucky is going to test our 3rd baseman no matter who it is and Halter might have more experience fielding all those bunts. At this point in the season its trust in Sully and go with what you know.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    I agree on Fisher- still cautious. I listed the Pen guys in order of realibility. On Fabian vs Halter- tough call as I noted but Halter is not seeing the ball well lately. From what I saw from Fabian on Sunday he looked pretty good in the field. Of course it's Sully's call and he's seen them far more than we have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    A quick look at Kentucky shows their weekend pitchers go R-L-R. I didn't look back but a week or two so they might change them around. That said a R-L-R rotation could see Sully try both players at third. I recall Halter hits LHP better but Deric hasn't had enough ABs to matter. That's why I think defending the bunt may matter more. Like you said we haven't seen enough of them at practice since the season started so leave it to Sully.

11. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Where has Carston Finnvold gone, Long time passing?
    Where has Carston Finnvold gone, Long time ago?
    Where has Carston Finnvoled gone?
    A young girl has picked him, everyone.
    Oh, when will they ever learn?
    When will they ever learn?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    No question. This site needs another smart ass. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    One of the best weekend recap vids I've seen the Gators put out there...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    For us smart asses in the crowd that like this sort of thing, these are the final regular season stats to finish off the thread for comparisons....
    Batting-------------------- AVG - OPS
    Langford, Wyatt------- .399 1.354
    Rivera, Josh------------ .361 1.089
    Caglianone, Jac-------- .350 1.224
    Heyman, Luke---------- .336 .990
    Kurland, Cade---------- .317 1.030
    Shelnut, Tyler---------- .300 .923
    Fabian, Deric----------- .286 .847
    Prevesk, Matt---------- .268 .685
    Riopelle, BT------------- .263 .903
    Thomas, Dale---------- .250 .898
    Robertson, Michael---- .241 .663
    Halter, Colby------------ .235 .752
    Schiekofer, Richie----- .229 .632
    Evans, Ty--------------- .216 .657
    Lastres, Rene---------- .188 .591

Notes
    Really unfortunate Langford did not get a hit on Saturday or he would have finished the regular season with a 400 average.
    Dylan Crews ended up at 423 in first but Wyatt still got 2nd best average in the SEC, remarkable after starting out slow coming back from the injury.
    Cags still leads the NCAA in HRs by 1 over Shane Lewis of Troy. Look for Troy in the Gainesville Regional.
    Langford ended up leading the Gators in almost every major batting stat other than HRs and total hits. He even led in slug % despite Jac's big HR number.
    On 4/1 Robertson was batting 306 and has fallen 65 points since. He has only 1 hit in the last 3 series and only 3 sacrifices all season. He needs to sacrifice.
    Shelnut was batting 307 when he got the start 4/28. He's still batting 300, showing he can hold his own in the league. He's right where he needs tobe.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Going into the post season, it seems the bullpen has been fairly well worked out, although it could be a problem if we have to go into it too much over a weekend stretch. I have 2 primary concerns - 3rd base and Robertson. Halter, Fabian, Thomas? Somebody take the job!! Personally, I'd start out giving Halter first shot. Mikey's obviously in a slump at the plate and not even getting on base much, which had been a plus even when he wasn't getting hits. But do we sacrifice defense to shore up the offense? Langford can play CF, but if he goes there, do we bring in Evans or Schienkofer or even try Fabian out there as someone mentioned? Maybe the SEC tournament is a time to experiment a little. Still, I like where this team is overall heading into the NCAA tournament.

Last edited: May 22, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  16. fat_gator

fat_gator Junior

Sep 7, 2021
    push Langford over and put Tyler in Left then Matt or Richie in right. Robertson killing team with stick. got have something out of bottom. In the last 9 games he been on base i think 5x.-- 4- walks and a hit. ( 1 for 27 yikes )

17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Preseason expectations are just that and more times than not players fall a little short rather than exceed expectations. I see from 87’s end of the season numbers where everyone ended up. My expectations for key players looked like this—

BT hit .263–because of his maturity in the league I was expecting to see him finish in the .285-.310 range.
    Robertson hit .241-I was hoping to see .275-.295 range because of his speed ( thinking he would put the ball on the ground over fly balls.)
    Halter hit .235-because of his maturity and obviously a baller I thought we would see a .285-.300 range.
    Evans hit .216-surely my disappointment of the expected season-I was expecting him to hit in the .275-.300 range.
    Tip of my cap to Heyman with his .336 average.
    Tip of my cap to Shelnut with his .300 average.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. fat_gator

fat_gator Junior

Sep 7, 2021
    last 3 SEC series (9 games)
    Cade ..387 (12-31, 6bb)
    Wyatt..382 (13-34, 4bb)

Cags...275 (8-29, 2-bb)
    B.T.....269 (7-26, 8bb)
    Josh...259 (7-27, 4bb)
    Tyler..250 (8-32, 2-bb)
    Luke...228 (8-35, 1bb)
    Mikey...037 (1-27, 4bb)

Fabian...250 (5-20, 1bb)
    Dale.....500 (3-6, 0bb)

Last edited: May 22, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 3
  19. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Rivera seems to have recently reverted to some of his batting habits of earlier years - pulling his butt and going for pitches out of the zone. Considering how hot his bat has been all year, 7 - 27 isn't bad, but we need him to hit over .300 in the post season. On the other hand, Riopelle has been more disciplined - cutting down on K's and drawing more walks, plus getting some key hits. Heyman was slumping, too, but seemed to break out of it Saturday. Kade & Wyatt just keep rolling along. Robertson really struggling.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    • Winner Winner x 1