Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2023 Official Roster Tracker/Lineup???

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 12, 2022.

1. Stlouie

Stlouie Junior

Jan 11, 2010
    On acc broadcast they made it seem like Wyatt could be back next weekend. Meanwhile video of him shaving flys showed him gingerly walking around. Getting him back and Luke will be pretty wild I assume shelnut would be odd man out as well as their platoon of guys in LF obviously.

I always heard target for pierce to be back was now. So wonder if that is happening or not. I don’t see Clemente pitching this year. I think he’s out. crazy stat in limited innings. Every out hertzogg has been a strikeout.

2. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Someone posted within the last week or so that Pierce had another setback. At this point, I’ll be surprised if we see him this year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    and IIRC it was shoulder and not his back this time.

4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Mat—

That’s not uncommon at all when going through a major injury recovery. Human tendency is to protect against re-injuring what you are recovering from.

So you protect the previous injury and unwittingly alter what was normally sound mechanics. The list of possibilities of combinations of body parts that could be affected is surprising.

Most common in baseball with pitchers is a shoulder strain/injury when a pitcher is rehabbing from TJ surgery—attempts to guard/protect the elbow can easily lead to extra stress on the shoulder.

I surely can see the same type of issue/stress to the shoulder when coming back from a back injury.

I have seen torn hamstrings cause shoulder issues during rehab.

One of the oldest high profile players I know where one injury caused another injury was Dizzy Dean—he injured his toe badly enough that it caused him to alter his mechanics of his throwing motion and effectively ended his career.

Just my opinion but when you have this type of injury you have to accept and acknowledge that you tore it up as strong as it was so your rehab goal should be to build it back stronger than it was—in this vein you have to bring the rest of your body along with your strength and conditioning so that it will keep up with the rehabbed injury.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Good numbers to review. Previously talked about Evan’s RBI numbers when some were questioning why he was playing so much over a few others.

6. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Props to you staying with him. I have been questioning Evans over Prevesk at least with the pitching matchup. But I also like to be fair and when I find evidence to the contrary I'll post it as well. I remember checking those RBIs and how many doubles Evans had in the first week. I also see in the last 9 games he only has 6 RBIs. So his rate is dropping even without playing SEC teams. If Prevesk is hurt, I wish Sully would say something. If not I wish he could play more so we had more of a comparison between the two.

7. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    And with the void in left field due to Langford being out, Prevesk could get a start or tow there and keep Evans in the lineup. Doesn't have to be Evans or Prevesk of late.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Yep I recall in some other discussion perhaps putting Evans in LF and Prevesk in RF. Again, don't know if its an arm strength situation where each would be best but it seems so obvious.

9. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I’m not necessarily a huge Evan’s fan but it seemed he many times came through and hit better with runners on. He K’s way too much!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Evans is 2nd on the team with 23 strikeouts. Riopelle lead with 26. Shelnut is 3rd with 17. Of the normal starters, Evans also has the next to lowest slugging percentage at .440. Robertson is at .369. Riopelle is at .512, Caglionone is .902, Rivera .812, Langford .931, Kurland .711.

11. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    Last year we were striking out more than 25% of the time and BT was striking out every third at bat - seems there has been some improvement in that area.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 4
  12. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    BT and Ty strike out a lot, but the RISP numbers show that they’re hitting when it counts the most.

I’d be fine giving Prevesk some time in rf or, with wyatt out, in lf, but think at this point in the season, Sully has shown you his thoughts on the matter.

We all know he isn’t taking BT out unless he gets hurt.

13. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Good catch on that stat. Last season we struck out 24.5% of our ABs as a team. This year so far we are at 20.3% of our ABs. Take into consideration SO rates usually climb thru SEC play. Last year our three worst SO% to AB victims were Riopelle and Evans at 34%, with Armstrong at 32%, Deric Fabian at 30%, and Jud at 29%. This year our top 5 are Riopelle at 30%, Shelnut at 28%, Heyman at 27%, Evans at 25%, and the Scheik at 22%, based on batters with at least 20 ABs.

14. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Speaking of Riopelle, here's another interesting stat on BT. This year his HRs seem low with 3 so far. So I checked last year when he hit 15 on the year and at this point in the season he had only hit 4 as compared to 3 this year. If that trend continues good times maybe ahead for BT.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    This week the Gators will see a bunch of RHP. Ole Miss only has 3 LHP, one starts, one is hurt, and one is not that good as a reliever. Look for Caglianone and Riopelle have a big weekend if the wind is blowing out to right. Hitters like Kurland and Rivera, that are good at going with the pitch, should also do well because of the small ballpark. I'm not sure if their out fielders have much speed so unknown if balls will get thru the gaps but we ought to be able to hit plenty off the walls. Facing plenty of RHP might persuade Sully in who starts in LF for us. If there ever was a weekend for Prevesk to play, its this one. So if he only hits then we know he must have an issue not to play more. Otherwise, we might see more of Schiekofer and his .219 batting average.

16. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Maybe BT just likes the warmer weather. :cool:

As for Ole Miss, from the little I have watched this year their outfield looks better than last year when they had a converted IF in center, no Fabian out there but plenty of speed in center and right. . I believe the CFer leads the team in SB.

Far and away their best player is Gonzalez their SS, a future high draft pick.

17. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    ----------------Friday | 7:30 p.m. ET (SECN+) Saturday | 2:30 p.m. ET (SECN+) Sunday | 2:30 p.m. ET (SECN+)
    Florida -
    RHP Brandon Sproat (4-0, 2.73 ERA) RHP Hurston Waldrep (3-1, 4.00 ERA) LHP Jac Caglianone (3-0, 3.20 ERA)
    Ole Miss RHP Jack Dougherty (2-2, 6.14 ERA) RHP Grayson Saunier (1-1, 6.30 ERA) LHP Xavier Rivas (4-1, 5.40 ERA)

Ole Miss starting pitching is having trouble giving up runs especially after last week in Nashville. Let's hope they are still trying to figure things out. Friday start time still hasn't changed so I guess we won't hear anything until the morning.

18. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Good comparisons. Weather Underground now showing rain starting in Oxford around 7 pm and going until about 2 am Saturday, then another batch coming through Sunday around 5pm. Will probably be a Saturday doubleheader. Same thing will happen to our softball series in Fayetteville, as it's supposed to start raining there tonight and rain all day tomorrow, not stopping until about 8 pm Friday.

19. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Went and watched Vandy and Lioscomb at Horizon in Nashville. Although only got to bottom 4 due to rain saw enough of Vandy to say hitting wise not overly impressed. I know they have a couple of players that can hit but to this point they aren’t. Beyond Shrek and Polk not much hitting. Again, tiny sample size I saw but wondering where the offense will come from.

I did not hear or see the whistler!!!

20. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Well, I'd say all 3 ole miss guys look pretty consistent:), none got past the 5th last weekend. Of course that was last weekend. They really miss Hunter Elliott their soph lefty.

Dougherty is the only holdover from last year's staff. Saunier is a freshman lefty and Rivas is a D2 transfer who actually looked good last weekend for 4 inn.