Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2023 Official Roster Tracker/Lineup???

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 12, 2022.

1. fat_gator

fat_gator Junior

Sep 7, 2021

I would say that was largely due to several "star" players not being able to get a timely hit. And a big part was on the bullpen giving up 4 runs....4! Neeley had pitched a great game as starter. We had a real chance to win that game.

Again i will say Langford should be 2 hole but this team has no one proven to take lead off.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
  2. fat_gator

fat_gator Junior

Sep 7, 2021
    more logical for him to be lead off than a kid that has hype. I just hope Sully dont pull another train wreck like he did at 3rd base last year.

3. fat_gator

fat_gator Junior

Sep 7, 2021
    Pitching Matchups
    Friday | 7 p.m. (SECN+)
    Saturday | 4 p.m. (SECN+) Sunday | 1 p.m. (SECN+)
    Charleston Southern
    RHP Zac Robinson (3-1, 9.48 ERA) LHP Ryan Gleason (1-2, 12.76 ERA) RHP Evan Truitt (4-4, 4.28 ERA)
    Florida RHP Brandon Sproat (9-4, 3.41 ERA) RHP Hurston Waldrep (6-2, 3.20 ERA) LHP Jac Caglianone (0-0, 0.00 ERA)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I hear that! That was bizarre. I think the Rutgers kid has a chance as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. orlgator

orlgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Except if they view he has a much higher ceiling and just needs abs. If it doesn’t work it doesn’t work and there are other options that can be explored. His run tool is special and need to see if he can make the adjustment IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    A reminder to anyone going, make sure you have downloaded your ticket before you get to the stadium. Last year I had some problems when I forgot. Hopefully this year its not as much of a problem. I've downloaded mine already.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Is OB% overblown? I'm sure most of you are aware of this interesting stat, but in the last 7 years our lowest OB% came in 2017 at .355. All other years our OB% fell between .368 and .370. A big part of that 2017 year is getting hot at the right time late in the year but also timely hitting played a big part of that winning streak. I don't have numbers what our OB% was in the post season vs the regular season but I would think it improved. Our best year .386 was 2020 in the Covid shortened season so that is misleading. But more interesting about 2017 is that our OB% was only 29 points better than our competition. Perhaps we need a stat that measures timely hitting not just runners in scoring position. Like down by one run in the bottom of the ninth with a runner on first or tied up in the 10th and a batter hits a game winning HR. Oh wait those are games at home against FSU stats.

• Like Like x 1
  9. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    There are only 2 ways to score a run in baseball. The batter hits a ball in which he is able to run completely around the bases. Or a runner on any base is able to get from that base to home plate safely.

I would say that OBP has a place in the metrics, not THE most important, but an important factor. Kind of like golf on the tour, percent of hit fairways is a great stat, but it's not the end all. It is all about the # on the scorecard

• Like Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  10. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    OBP is an important metric but there are a number of intangibles that are tough to measure but you make mental notes: a batter moves the runner over, bunts successfully, takes the extra base, gets the big hit in the clutch or makes the star pitcher work a ten-pitch at-bat- all little things that add up and helps a team win. You know a quality at bat when you see one although they often are not measurable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    A quick shout out to an unknown Gator fan who saw me walking by and offered one of his extra passes to the Diamond Deck. I came early without stopping to eat and now I get the birds eye view with food included. A sincere thank you to whoever he was. Certainly it's an opening day to remember

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Notes after Game 1 13-3 run rule win over CSU in the 7th.
    Fabian, Robertson and Shelnut all earned their way into the lineup tonight. Combined they were up 12 times and got on base 9 times. 5 of those were walks.
    Rivera is undoubtedly the leader and captain of this team. Up 5 times and on base 5 times.
    Sproat pitched a very good 5 innings, like he needed. The 1 run hurt from a walk, then a stolen base that Riopelle double clutched before throwing, and then a wild pitch to give up a run. The 6th inning was another story. If Abner comes in and gets just one out then Sproat would have only given up 1 run.
    1. Robertson got on 3 times in 5 at bats. That works for me.
    2. Sproat pitched a very good 5 innings, like he needed. The 1 run hurt from a walk, then a stolen base that Riopelle double clutched before throwing, and then a wild pitch to give up a run. The 6th inning was another story. If Abner comes in and gets just one out then Sproat would have only given up 1 run.
    3. Unknown because of the run rule
    4. Shelnut earns another game at DH going 2 for 2 with a walk.
    5. First out was Abner but I wish Sully had gone to a RHP.
    6. I forgot to look for Coach Rivera.
    7. Kurland was a no show, my one miss in the fielders lineup I forecasted. Great job by Fabian tonight from the plate.
    8. Yes Rivera batted 4th and had the best night from the plate. Sure BT hit the HR and got 5 RBIs but Josh never got an out. Rivera is undoubtedly the leader and captain of this team. Up 5 times and on base 5 times.
    9. I felt the hitters were patient because of the many walks and attacked with runners in scoring position. That's a good recipe for success.
    10. I'd say no on Riopelle improving his timing. Only one stolen base tried so the sample size is too small to be fair.
    Extra credit....Fabian, Robertson and Shelnut all earned their way into the lineup tonight. Combined they were up 12 times and got on base 9 times. 5 of those were walks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    Good solid Opening Day W-- with Sproat strong- 5+innings and not allowing a hit. He seemed amped up some but settled down. His 3 earned runs does not reflect the quality of his outing. I was disappointed at Abner's outing that made Sproat's final line less impressive.
    Eveyone hit (but we should keep in mind the comp., it's clear that CSU pitching is not stellar). I was a bit surprised that Fabian was at second as I don't recall him taking ground balls there during the spring preps. We'll see how that plays out and if Kurland gets any playing time this weekend.
    Everyone hit except Halter- who did not hit at all in the Spring scrimmages. Concerning.
    Question to the panel: I understand he's a veteran and Sully favors him but if his hitting woes continue as last year, do you give Thomas or Kurland a shot? Both hit pretty well in the scrimmages and Thomas is a very good fielder.
    In any event, a good strong start to what I expect will be a great season

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    This is a very compelling conundrum at the Condrum. By that I mean Sully puts in Fabian who has a hot bat this season but not so good in the field last year at third. But, then Sully leaves in Halter who is our best defender at third and is in another hitting slump. Shelnut must be chomping at the bit to get a start at third the way he is hitting. But again Shelnut doesn't always make an accurate throw to first as we have seen several times in practice. It will be an interesting dynamic to see how Sully navigates them going forward. For now something tells me Sully is not going to be to concerned about it as long as we keep run ruling our competition.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    I think we need to realize that we’re looking at the results of one game-small sample size at best.

Right now I’m not in favor of a lot of lineup changes—we had multiple players hit, we played with a good defensive, we scored 13 runs.

Players like consistency as much as anyone. They understand it. If any shuffling takes place I would expect it on Sunday, but that’s just me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    Fully agree- not suggesting lineup changes at this point, especially involving vets like Halter, just a hypothetical should his hitting woes continue as they did last year. We have options this year that we did not have in the past few years. I do think Sully needs to give a few top guys who are not starting the reps needed to stay sharp and happy. That is the challenge of having depth at nearly every field position.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Robertson and that speed gonna surprise you.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  19. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Agree with you on Abner need righties to get chance.

20. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Hopefully Robertson has a solid year as his speed at the top of the lineup can be a real asset. But you can’t steal first and he will have to prove he can hit on a consistent basis. This is one of the deepest teams as far as every day players go that Sully has had at UF and unlike some years, there will be solid options at almost every position should someone struggle.

• Agree Agree x 2