Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2023 Official Roster Tracker/Lineup???

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 12, 2022.

1. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Probably agree on DH....I might lean Lastres or Shelnut. But I think Ficc is a slam dunk for mid/long relief

• Like Like x 1
  2. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    I'm going with Prevesk DH assuming that Charleston So. SP is RH if not then I'd choose a RH DH-- Lastres, Heyman, Shelnut, Fabian.
    I'll stick with Ficc as middle relief at the start gate. Experienced and has been solid.

3. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Here's my entry into the foray. Thanks 1977 for doing the heavy lifting....
    L - Robertson CF - Sully indicated he hopes 11 will lead off and he has in most every scrimmage
    R - Langford LF - following the scrimmage plans
    L - Caglianone 1B - perfect spot for the produce director, no can of corn from this bat
    R - Rivera SS - starting to remind me of Nelson Maldonado
    L - Riopelle C - He's going to hit a lot of HRs this year
    R - Evans RF - my choice for most improved hitter
    R - Lastres DH - Sully loves talking about players who battle back from injury so he gets opening day DH
    L - Halter 3B - probably lowest average hitter in scrimmages but doubtful Sully puts him last from experience
    R - Kurland 2B - rookie spot for Sully and better production with his bat as a 9/1 combo and back to LRLR

SP - Sproat - I've been preaching he is number one since first day of fall in the head to head with Waldrep
    Mid Reliever - Ficarrotta - On second thought CSU has too many RHH so Ficc is more likely to keep CSU from any momentum, Jameson if we get a big lead
    Closer - Purnell - best closer in the spring but I'm still wondering if Sully is over Slater, I hope so, plus Abner a lefty before him makes it harder to adjust

Notes: its a very balanced batting order with plenty of power from both sides, speed up front, and many other options for Sully to push these guys in practice. I'll be watching to see how many times Robertson gets on because the game changes any time he is on the bases. With this lineup its very important for Rivera and Kurland to be productive. They don't have to have high averages but they have to put the ball in play and move runners up. Rivera should see lots of good pitches. Sproat is obvious and hopes he breezes thru 5, then go from there. I know Abner has been up and down but CSU has too many RHH so Ficc gets the nod. Situational is the unknown so it could be anybody. Monday's scrimmage said it all when Sully used Purnell for 1 inning to close and then stopped the scrimmage abruptly. That said no need to see more, Shut him down until Friday.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Yea baby

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Here's 10 questions to ponder for opening day and the weekend...
    1. If Robertson leads off, how many times does he get on base? I don't care if its by walk, error, bad throws or whatever. He just needs to be on base with Wyatt or Cags following.
    2. Does Sproat breeze thru 5 innings showing good command and control? Just know he might give up a few hard hit balls but expect him to hammer over 80% of his pitches around the plate.
    3. Who is our closer on a close game situation? Purnell should be the one but the weekend should give us a few ideas.
    4. Who is in at DH assuming Cags at 1st and Riopelle behind the plate? We might see a different DH everyday this weekend. Sully has options.
    5. Who is first out of the bullpen? Sure its situational but I feel Sully has a plan he wants to stick to for the first weekend.
    6. What is Mike Rivera's duties on game day? Is he a base coach or in the dugout? What players does he spend time with?
    7. Does Kurland start at second and where does Sully have him in the lineup? If so expect him to put the ball in play often.
    8. Will Sully actually have Rivera bat 4th? I get it but then I don't get it. If he hits above 300 I could easily see him batting second at times.
    9. Do our hitters step in the box ready to swing or do they show patience? This could be a player to player thing (ex Langford attacks, Rivera waits)
    10. Has Riopelle improved his timing on throw downs to second? All other catchers seem to be faster but he is the most experienced with our pitchers.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. fat_gator

fat_gator Junior

Sep 7, 2021
    you guys sure are high on a kid that never played a season in college ball to be our lead off man and center fielder, just like I would leave Sproat as the Friday guy I would leave Langford as lead off. If its not broke why fix it?

7. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    We are hoping this team gets better, not stays the same.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    After reviewing the CSU roster I'm changing my Mid Reliever to Nick Ficc as well. Turns out CSU has mostly right hand hitters so Sully should stick to RHP. If we get a big lead then I hope Jameson gets an inning as well.

9. fat_gator

fat_gator Junior

Sep 7, 2021
    not sure how you can get better putting an unproven player at top of order. Hit him 9 makes more sense to me, he comes up ahead of Wyatt the entire rest of the game. Leave Opposing pitchers the daunting task of facing one of the best hitters to start the game. Pitchers are drilled to get the first strike get the lead off guy out, well as a pitcher I sure as hell would rather pitch to Robertson than Langford....now if Robertson starts to shine and his obp is North of .400...then look at change

• Like Like x 1
  10. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    As to pitching to Langford or Robertson, I think the point is not comparing the two batters but only comparing Langford. What I mean by that, as a pitcher would you rather pitch to Langford with no one on base or with a runner on base that's one of the faster players in college baseball. Are you going to ignor the runner so you can be effective with your pitches to the plate or are you going to let the runner pull your attention away as you try on put one across the plate. Sure all this is dependent to Roberson getting on base but we have been waiting for this since the start of practices. I get Robertson is "unproven" but Robertson has been hitting leadoff since the first week of fall. Any time Sully had MR and WL on the same team then MR was leadoff and WL batting second. All preseason we have been wondering about the leadoff spot if Robertson can do it. My whole picks and questions about the season start with Robertson if he can get on base. All of this is unknown until we get to real game action. I will say this. Don't try to compare Robertson's numbers to Langford's numbers. They are two different players and affect the game differently. If Robertson has a 280 average and gets on base somewhere in the 350 range, I'm fine with that.
    I believe the 9 spot would go to someone else like Kurland who is good with the bat and could be that rally guy low in the order.
    Ultimately we all want this team to score more runs and win more games.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Here's a bit of tid....
    I did a little peeking into Charleston Southern's roster and it looks like they lost most of their fielders. I count at least 8 that have moved on and all but one of their best hitters. They do have 17 seniors and graduates and are a team half built with jucos. Even though last year's win loss was a 50/50 season, I don't expect much from this year's team to start the season. Whatever their ranking index was last year is probably not going to be as good this year.

12. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Some valid arguments....but I want Langford to have RBI potential. I'm not totally sold on Robertson as that guy at this point but whoever can set the table for Langford is my guy. The problem last year was no one claimed that role, and it could be an issue again. But I do like that there are multiple possibilities.

Of course I always thought Judd would be that guy. 4 years, career BA of 246 and 24 SB in 4 seasons. Will never be able to wrap my head around that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Why are HOF MLB hitters w/ high batting averages, real good HR power, and high RBI history not leading off? Because in first at bat, there is no body on base. As in 0. RBI potential is limited to one, a HR.

In addition, the RBI's will have to come from the 9, 8 and 7 hitters, not typically the best hitters.

Lastly, in say 4 at bats, 25% are basically RBI eliminated.

Therefore, leading off with Langford is imho dumb. That is unless Mays, Mantle, Aaron, Musial, and Williams in their prime are on this team.

14. fat_gator

fat_gator Junior

Sep 7, 2021
    I was curious myself, care to guess how many more RBI's Wyatt would have had if he stayed in 4 hole as he was the first half of season? he was 1 rbi per 4.9 AB's as lead off and 1 rbi per 3.6 AB's as 4 hole. So last year had he stayed in 4 hole he would have had only 9 more rbi on the season. in 50 less at bats he had the same number of homeruns in the one hole as he did down the lineup. He hit .388 v/s .333 and a better walk to K ratio 20bb to 16ks. Was all this due to him being in lead off or just getting better as season went?? ++++++ I like him as the 2 hole, just hope we can get a good lead off guy

• Like Like x 1
  15. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The problem there is we are making assumptions regarding how many baserunners will be on when he came up.....IF we have issues at leadoff then he lacks RBI potential. This is obviously geared toward having effective guys in front of him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  18. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    We didn't get out of the Regionals last season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. leftygator

leftygator Recruit

Feb 16, 2023
    Agree - just saw the transfer scheikoffer play cf in last scrimmage and he got 2 hits - looked up his stats and hes a proven P5 college hitter who doesnt k and gets on base alot -could be lead off hitter

20. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1