Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2023 Official Roster Tracker/Lineup???

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 12, 2022.

1. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That is my prediction for later in year if PC can stay healthy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    I thoroughly enjoy reading what you guys who are primarily Gator baseball fans have to say. So much insight and depth. Since I try to follow all the Gator programs it's hard for me to stay as informed about baseball as you guys and gals. Just appreciate you.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    Caught the first 4 innings of projected 6 inning scrimmage

P: Cags for Blue (Heyman C) ; Neely for Orange (Riopelle C)

Cags throwing heat 96-97 looked good in two innings of work giving up one run on two hits and 4 Ks 0 walks. Both hits Riopelle double and Fabian single (RBI) were on first pitch fastballs which they were sitting on.

Neely less successful in his two innings giving up 3 runs 3 hits 2 walks with 3 Ks. The big hits Cags double to LC (RBI) and Lastres off the RC wall double (2 RBI).

Ficarotta took over in 3rd for Blue (Lastres catching- flipping with Heyman) and looked good in two innings 0 runs 0 hits 1 walk 2 Ks. The defensive play of the 4 innings I watched was a beautiful throw from Lastres where he led Rivera to the bag as Riopelle was trying to steal. BT got a good jump off Ficc and Lastres was quick to get ball out of his glove and in one fast motion threw a strike at the bag that led Rivera perfectly into the sliding Riopelle- a gem of play.

Cade Fisher took over for Orange and got touched up some in the 3rd. with singles by Evans and Lastres plating two in the inning. Fisher escaped with no harm in the 4th thanks to nice 6-4-3 DP started by Fabian.

Purnell came in the 5th but had to leave at that time….

Top performers today in my 4 innings: Cags and Lastres. Lastres 2-2 and 3 RBI and the defensive gem of the day. Other good D plays by Scheikofer- diving catch of sinking liner in left; Neely diving catch of a Robertson bunt and Fabian hot shot to his right that he gloved to start a 6-4-3 DP.

Still pretty chilly at the ballpark and clouds rolled in the 3rd inning.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    That’s a great report @gator1977

Appreciate all of your efforts and input!

6. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    The fact that Cags started today leads me to think that Coppola may not be ready at the start or that Cags has the upper hand in the weekend LHP comp. for now. He looked strong and in command today hitting 97mph a few times in his two innings... and he's a strike thrower.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Very good intel there 77 about Cags. I heard over the summer that the staff was thinking Cags could be a weekend starter this year. If Coppola is a no show tomorrow (hopefully not) then you have to think Cags might be our Sunday starter the first weekend. Its still early of course but all we have are tea leaves this early in the year.

8. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    This might be the biggest surprise of the opening weekend. I never saw that one coming!

9. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    LOL. They were playing slightly behind the runner so BT got a walking lead before running so all the better that the throw led Rivera into the sliding BT- -- From 9-10 rows behind the plate it was a thing of beauty to see the throw right to the base - confident that the Rivera would get there in time to put the tag down. MLB level play.

• Like Like x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  10. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Who is BT?

11. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    BT Riopelle, that's why I was surprised he was trying to steal. He's not exactly giving Robertson a run for fastest on the team.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Like Like x 2
  13. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Matherly, you make it out to the practice today?

14. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Nope I was at church. I'm waiting to see the schedule for this week, hoping I can make it up for a day on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Saturday.

15. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Well from Gatorgal's report of no Coppola today it makes me think after the first weekend our weekend rotation will be Sproat, Waldrep, and Cags. That may change of course with only two innings of work in so far. I'll shuffle the OP to reflect the arms available, since Coppola is unknown at this time.

16. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Here's the lineup I have for now. Expect more updates before Feb 17th. Hopefully another starter or two will emerge as a midweek arm. We all have a few in mind but let's see how they pitch for a few weeks.

1B - Jac Caglianone/BT Riopelle
    2B - Cade Kurland/Dale Thomas
    SS - Josh Rivera/Deric Fabian
    3B - Colby Halter/Tyler Shelnut
    C - BT Riopelle/Luke Heyman/Rene Lastres/Salvador Alvarez
    LF - Wyatt Langford/Richie Schiekofer
    CF - Michael Robertson/Wyatt Langford
    RF - Ty Evans/Matt Prevask/Tucker Talbott

Pitchers
    Starters - Brandon Sproat(Friday), Hurston Waldrep(Saturday), Jac Caglianone(L)(Sunday)
    Other Possible Starters - Brandon Neely, Pierce Coppola(L)
    Relievers - Ryan Slater, Philip Abner(L), Fisher Jameson, Tyler Nesbitt, Jake Clemente, Anthony Ursitti, Blake Purnell, Nick Ficarrotta, Carsten Finnvold(L), Sam Sloan, Cade Fisher(L), Cullen Hartzog, Chris Arroyo (L)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, me too. I saw Gatorgals summary in the other thread. I posted about Coppola on the other thread. You probably noticed him out there on Friday. Looked like he was moving around really well so hopefully they bring him back a little slower and have him ready a few weeks into season

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    @gator1977 I'm with you on Lastres playing very well and you might be thinking he is pushing for some game action. You are probably right but I'm keeping him behind Heyman at catcher to see how things play out for a few weeks. Heyman did hit the big homerun on Friday but Lastres has been making some nice plays behind the plate. It should be interesting to watch. Somebody's got to be ready when Riopelle moves to DH.

• Like Like x 1
  19. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gosh, we have a wealth of talent at catcher! Three big guys in BT, Heyman at 6’4” 210 and Lastres at 6’2” 220. And don’t overlook Alvarez who looks like a defensive wiz and line drive slash type hitter. They all look like they are capable hitters. Will be interesting to see which one is best defensively and at throwing out runners.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    87, I agree with your projected weekend pitching rotation (for now). Not good to see Coppola still being nursed back but hoping he can throw some in scrimmage action this week. For now, Neely is our Tuesday guy and it's open comp. for the second mid-week game when we play two. On the position players- I agree with your first guys on your depth chart is the way it is developing at the moment. Most interesting may be at catcher where you have three guys one would like to see get their reps and play regularly. BT no doubt #1 but need to find spots for Lastres and Heyman.
    As you note, I have been impressed with Lastres behind the plate both this year and last Spring before his TJ. Rifle for arm and very accurate. I'd say Heyman is close but Lastres release faster plus I saw several pitches in the dirt on Saturday that skipped by Heyman for WP/PB that could have been blocked. Both have power to all fields and need to get their reps.
    I am not sure why Riopelle would be second on depth chart for first base. I'd consider Lastres or Heyman- both big guys who seem to have soft hands to spell Cags- when he pitches. That way all three would be in lineup- when BT is in DH role- in fact all 4 if Cags hits when he pitches. Tejeda played first when Cags pitched on Saturday, plus Fabian saw action there as well on Saturday- which to me is a bit puzzling. Just some early scrimmage thoughts. Lots of options.
    PS: Gal noted that Fabian looks very thin and I agree. I was a few rows back while he was talking at the screen with a young relative/fan before start of action and I was struck by how gaunt he looks.

• Like Like x 2