Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2023 Official Roster Tracker/Lineup???

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 12, 2022.

1. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Orange team takes field. Sproat on mound BT behind plate. Halter at third for Orange now. Fabian at SS Thomas at second and Shelnut at first. Langford leads off for blue.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Langford walks on full count. Kurland hits into DP. Rivera with nice single to left. Cags goes down swinging on three pitches. Facing Sproat little different than battling practice!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Waldrep on mound for Blue

4. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Robertson leads off for Orange, hard shot to Cags, he bobbles ball but throws to Waldrep covering for out. Thomas next up, he battles to 2&2 count before getting hit in back by pitch. Halter hits a hard shot under Cags glove, first and third. BT walks on 4 pitches. Bases loaded for Shelnut. Shelnut strikes out looking. Fabian strikes out as Waldrep survives bases loaded and one out.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Just a warning for those of you coming for weekend scrimmages. It’s pretty damn cold watching game in shade today. Almost entire seating was in shade by 2pm.

6. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Evans strikes out, Talbot flies out to center and Heyman hits hard ground out. Nice quick inning for Sproat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lastres grounds out short to first. Prevesk walks, Talbot flies out to right. Waldrep bounces one and Preveck steals second. Throw by Heyman nearly got him. Robertson walks on a full count. Waldrep struggling with his control similar to what I saw from him in Jax against UGA. Walks Thomas on four pitches. Wild pitch scores Prevesk. Halter strikes out to end inning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Unfortunately my phone is about to die so will take notes rest of scrimmage and post later.

9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    GL—

A flask of Four Roses Single Barrel/100proof works very well right here!:alligator::emoji_tumbler_glass::alligator:

10. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think we will see Sproat, Coppola then our transfer for weekend starts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    74, that is exactly what I needed!

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Here's my notes from the scrimmage. Legend did a good job breaking it down so I'm not going to try and make this look pretty.

Blue Starters
    1b Caglianone
    2b Kurland
    SS Rivera
    3b Alvarez
    C Heyman
    LF Schiekofer
    CF Langford
    RF Evans
    P Waldrep

Orange Starters
    1b Shelnut
    2b Thomas
    SS Fabian
    3b Halter
    C Riopelle
    LF Talbott
    CF Robertson
    RF Prevesk
    P Sproat

Blue top 6th Sproat p
    36 walk
    4 DP ss
    24 single to lf
    14 SO

Orange bottom 6th Waldrep p
    11 go 1b
    1 hbp
    5 single to rf
    15 walk
    6 SO
    23 SO

Top 7th Sproat p
    2 SO
    25 fo CF
    28 go SS

Bottom 7th Waldrep p
    16 go SS
    43 walk
    32 fo RF
    11 walk
    1 walk
    5 passed ball 1 run in SO
    1-0 Orange

Top 8th Tejeda p
    9 double down rf line
    66 SO
    36 fo CF
    4 fo CF

Bottom 8th Hartzog p
    15 pop up SS
    6 go SS
    23 single up the middle
    16 go SS

Top 9th Tejeda p
    24 single to LF
    14 ground ball to 1st error on SS covering second runner to 3rd
    2 WP 1 run in runner to 3rd SO
    25 ground ball to SS throw home 1 run scored
    28 HR 2 runs scored
    9 fo RF
    66 go 2b
    4-1 Blue

Bottom 9th Hartzog p
    43 single CF
    32 walk
    11 walk
    1 double to right center 2 runs scored
    5 wild pitch 1 run in triple to right center 1 run in 5-4 orange
    15 fo RF runner holds
    6 fo RF sac fly to track 1 run scored
    23 walk
    6-4 Orange
    Game called

13. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    First day of spring practice and I can sum our pitching up in one word, messy. Waldrep was lucky to only surrender one run. Tejeda and Hartzog got pushed around in the 9th. Sproat was the only pitcher to show good command. The Blue squad looked to have the most starters other than Halter (3B) and Robertson (CF) for the Orange squad. Sproat was the starting pitcher for Orange but I don't put much consideration into him not starting for Blue because he had to face tougher hitters and still pitched better than Waldrep. Once again Waldrep looked to have control issues as evident in 2 innings walking 4 and hit 1 batter. Both innings he had bases loaded and was fortunate to only give up 1 run. As in the fall Sproat may have fewer pitches but they stay close to the plate and a high majority are quality pitches. Waldrep has plenty of pitches to throw but 2 out of 5 don't look hittable to most hitters.

A note on Tejeda in the 9th, Rivera led off with a solid single to left, followed by Cags who hit a sharp ground ball that looked to be heading to right field. Riopelle had been moved to first and make a great play by stabbing the bouncing ball high to his right. With Rivera on his way to second, Riopelle made a fast throw to second base. Everyone at the park thought we were seeing the defensive play of the day but Fabian coming across the bag from his SS position couldn't make the catch for the transition. The play started as if it could be a double play but instead Tejeda now faced runners at 1st and 3rd with no outs. Things quickly escaladed from there and the Blue ended up scoring 4 runs. If they turn that double play Tejeda goes 3 up and 3 down. Sure it wasn't an easy turn for Fabian to make but both 1977 and I thought he should have handled the throw and at least got the first out at second.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Some follow up to my 10 questions from day 1.
    2. What's on second? That would be Kurland who had a nice day starting for the Blue again at second. Thomas is clearly the backup and Fabian is the back up at SS like I thought.
    4. Does Robertson earn the start in CF? Maybe...he started at CF for the Orange today and was the lead off but Sully still had Langford start in CF for the Blue and was their lead off. I look for Robertson to take the CF spot mainly because he and Langford are our 2 best outfielders period. That way Wyatt can stay at LF like last year.
    7. Can Heyman or Lastres become dependable starters at catcher and bump Riopelle out of his spot? Heyman hit the only homer of the day and Lastres was throwing hard across the diamond so either is still a possibilty.
    9. Will Rivera actually be the team leader thru the season? That's a big 10-4 good buddy. Rivera was smooth fielding balls early in practice and he looks to be a much more effective batter in warmups and going 2 for 2 in the scrimmage. I like what I'm seeing.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    As Legend said, Riopelle and Cags put on a show during BP. With my poor eyes, it looked to me like BT hit 4 or 5 out to right and Cags hit 3 or 4 out to right. There wasn't much wind early but the ball wasn't carrying to left so the LHH had the advantage going out to right. The one homerun that Heyman hit to left during the scrimmage was after sun down in dead air.

16. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I would like that but I think we have to see Sproat and Coppola starting against each other at scrimmages before Sully will put Waldrep on Sundays. Plus Coppola has to show his back is okay for the next few weeks.

17. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Just got home from Gainesville. Matherly, thanks for supplying notes from the rest of the scrimmage. Even though he got hit pretty hard I was impressed with Yoel Tejada. Very tall 6’8” kid who was throwing in mid 90’s and froze a couple batters with a nice curveball. He got lit up like a Christmas tree but may have thrown too many pitches over the plate.

• Like Like x 2
  18. volungator

volungator All American

Thanks for all the info and updates.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    Many thanks to Gator Legend and 87 for their detailed reports. I can agree with their observations. I was a bit surprised at Waldrep's lack of command at times- I thought he was getting the benefit of a wide K zone but still seemed to lose his mechanics at times and missed quite a few spots. Sproat was not throwing his top heat but seemed in command and seems our top guy for now. Tejeda looked better than the box score will indicate... as 87 notes he should have been out of his inning before he was touched up some. A costly error by Fabian that could have been a DP extended the inning. That said- Tejeda was throwing strikes and has great movement. Circled his name. I was very impressed with Heyman who made a great play digging out a ball in the dirt that bounced away and he pounced on it and threw a bullet to second and nearly nailed Prevask who had gotten a good jump from first. Heyman topped off his debut afternoon hitting a bomb into a light NW breeze to LF in the 9th. Circle his name. Lastres looked to be throwing normally so seems fully recovered from TJ. Tough decisions to come for Sully. Damn it's good to see the Orange and Blue on the Diamond again after nearly 8 months.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    74 you are correct. A coach stood about halfway between mound and home plate and threw soft toss to the team during BP.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1