Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2023 Official Roster Tracker/Lineup???

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 12, 2022.

1. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I've been tracking most of the players from last year on the first page including Armstrong. Here's a rundown where they stand. I never heard anything more about Calilao, McMullen (assumed he is done with baseball), or Hartman. If anyone knows more about them please let me know.

Gone
    1 Corey Robinson OF 5-11 175 R/R FR Port Orange, Fla. / Spruce Creek***UCF
    3 Garrett Milchin RHP 6-5 215 L/R GR* Windermere, Fla. / The First Academy
    4 Jud Fabian OF 6-1 195 R/L JR* Ocala, Fla. / Trinity Catholic Drafted #67 after 2nd Round Signed
    9 Mac Guscette C 6-0 195 R/R SO Nokomis, Fla. / Venice***Alabama
    12 Hunter Barco LHP 6-4 210 L/L SO* Jacksonville, Fla. / The Bolles School 2nd Round Draft Pick Signed
    20 Nick Pogue RHP 6-5 235 R/R RS SO* Melbourne, Fla. / Eau Gallie***Free Agent/Signed with Washington
    26 Sterlin Thompson OF/INF 6-4 200 L/R SO Ocala, Fla. / North Marion 1st Round Draft Pick Signed
    33 Jorge De Goti INF 6-1 190 R/R FR Miami, Fla. / Belen Jesuit***Indiana
    34 Kris Armstrong INF 6-4 230 S/R JR* Jupiter, Fla. / The Benjamin School*** Jacksonville
    44 Timmy Manning LHP 6-2 195 L/L SO Pompano Beach, Fla. / Cardinal Gibbons***Arizona State
    Xavier Isaac 1B 6-4 240 L-L East Forsyth Kernersville NC Florida 1st Round Draft Pick Signed
    Colby Thomas - Mercer outfielder Drafted 3rd Round #95 Signed
    Magnus Ellerts - JuCo pitcher Drafted 11th Round Signed

Unknown

6 Kendrick Calilao 1B/OF 6-1 210 R/R JR* Kissimmee, Fla. / The First Academy not on 2023 roster
    25 Hunter McMullen RHP 6-2 205 R/R RS JR* Ocala, Fla. / Forest not on 2023 roster
    28 Karl Hartman RHP 6-3 220 R/R FR Merritt Island, Fla. / Rockledge*** not on 2023 roster

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Karl Hartman is a real enigma. I think he has potential. Why has no one picked him up??? Something feels off here but even Google doesn’t seem to reveal a destination.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    I think you mean to say "enigma" and I fully agree- the kid has potential. He very solid in the scrimmages I witnessed last year and is extremely intense- seems to get wound up very tight and rushes his delivery - he would need someone like a Mike Rivera personality behind the plate to settle him down. Surprised he has not been picked up by a top college.

4. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    Had hoped to be at the opening scrimmage but family time takes precedence tonight, plus Mets-Padres elimination game is on at 7PM. Yeah- once a Mets' fan always a Mets' fan no matter how let down one feels almost every year.
    And while on the MLB--my new favorite team the Rays- stopped hitting and I was switching back and forth from College Football to their game, and was stunned that with runners on 1st and 3rd and one out- in top of the 15th inning- and Mejia up that a squeeze bunt was not called to try to manufacture a run! 0-0, 15th inning, team not hitting!.... The death of small ball personified. I hope someone asked Cash about that one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Yep, wrong word.

6. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Question : What's the difference between an enigma and an enema?
    Answer : The time you have to think about what's next.

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Just remember—the job’s not over until the paperwork’s done…;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    How do Freudians describe the human mind? As a huge enema, I mean a huge enigma.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. neutrino_boi

neutrino_boi All American

Feb 1, 2020
    Calilao describes himself as a "Former Student-Athlete", now doing an MS in Management at UF: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kendrickcalilao

• Like Like x 1
  10. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    My comments as to the roster and lineups after day one.
    1. As expected Langford has moved to CF. Made one nice diving play coming in to get the out. Reminded me of our last CF. I'd say CF is set for the season.
    2. I'm very surprised Kurland was batting second for the orange. That's not like Sully this early. Could it mean Kurland might start at second? If he keeps hitting HRs to right it will be tough to not let him play somewhere.
    3. That said Thomas looked really good fielding at second and with a strong accurate arm and turns two quickly. Watch the competition at second closely.
    4. Sproat looks ready to go. If he keeps his control of his breaking ball we will win lots of games with him starting. Its only day one though.
    5. Waldrep needs more work until I can give a good assessment. It was only two innings but he was really struggling in the first and could only get his fastball over the plate. He's been around long enough to make the right adjustment so let's see how the next one goes.
    6. Who is not on first. That would be Jac Caglianone. The kid has a knack for fielding ground balls smoothly. I haven't seen him diving yet but he can gobble up most anything hit his way.
    7. Who is actually out in LF. Prevask seems to be getting the first shot but I have to believe we will see several names out in LF this fall like Schiekofer, Talbott, maybe Robertson, and we already know Langford can handle it if needed.
    8. Riopelle has the catcher spot but Heyman has a good arm behind the plate and was good on every throw to second I saw him make.
    9. I'm wondering about Lastres. He made an appearance at 1st to begin the scrimmage but never batted after hitting 2 HRs in BP. Right now I would have to say the DH will come from either Kurland, Heyman, or Lastres would be my guess.
    10. I was most impressed by Sproat but I have to give props to the true freshman Jake Clemente for his great first time out there. He didn't seem nervous, was calm, and pitched whatever was asked of him. Lots of pitches were either well located strikes or balls just off the plate. The freshman has a variety of pitches and speeds but can still bring the heat in the mid 90s when needed. He is definitely a midweek starter and should be considered a possible weekend starter if needed. I hope to see what he's got if he faces FSU sometime this year.

11. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I was told coming in that Clemente has potential to be very special. Only issue is fastball command.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Here's a very telling photo. The two homerun hitters from last night from the veteran Langford just rounding the bases and the salute by the young newcomer Cade Kurland (high school senior).
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  14. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    Hartman went the JUCO route - he is at College of Central Florida in Ocala.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  15. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Thanks, he should be able to dominate there.

16. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Here's the lineup as I have it on page one. I'm leaving Tejeda backing up first until we see if he gets any time there this week. Glad to see Prevask getting a look in LF but I think that position is still wide open.

Possible lineup for now
    1B - Jac Caglianone/Yoel Tejeda
    2B - Dale Thomas/Cade Kurland
    SS - Josh Rivera/Deric Fabian
    3B - Colby Halter/Tyler Shelnut
    C - BT Riopelle/Luke Heyman/Salvador Alvarez/Rene Lastres???
    LF - Matt Prevask/Tucker Talbott
    CF - Wyatt Langford/Michael Robertson
    RF - Ty Evans/Richie Schiekofer

• Like Like x 1
  17. neutrino_boi

neutrino_boi All American

Feb 1, 2020
    I'm hoping for a genuine position battle at short, but recognize that might ask a lot from D.Fabian's bat. I watched the infield practice on Sunday afternoon/evening and the difference in Rivera and Fabian's approach to soft ground balls was striking. Fabian positions himself to get a comfortable hop, usually standing pat or taking a step or two up, but Rivera just. will. not. charge the ball. Even when he goes to his left or right, it's usually left/back and right/back! The last couple grounders, the coaches apparently told them to charge it. Fabian: routine and smooth. Rivera: donk! off the glove and then dink! off his shoulder. (He did get it on try #2.) Rivera gave up maybe half a dozen hits to quick runners last year – it sometimes seemed like there was a once per weekend "Rivera lollygag" – which looks better than charge/donk/dink in the box score, but a baserunner's a baserunner.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I was pretty happy with Rivera’s play last year but admittedly I am basing some of that on fielding percentage which doesn’t account for range. They don’t have advanced defensive statistics at the college level as far as I have ever seen so I might be overvaluing his play.

Rivera’s bat is what it is. I feel like he has the body to have more power than he does but it hasn’t shown up yet. He is fine but not special with the bat.

D Fabian is going to have to hit, exactly as you state. No two ways around that imo.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  19. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I feel that Rivera's potential has leveled out. I hope not for the sake of this year. Fabian still has more potential to show. That might not happen this year but next year he better be ready cause Cade Kurland will be starting somewhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Unfortunately I won't be back out there this week. Looking forward to what GatorGal has to add from today. Here's the schedule if anyone else can report back in from any practices.

Week One of Fall Practice Concludes with Three Scrimmages - Florida Gators
    Below is the practice schedule for the upcoming week, including scrimmage start times and pitchers expected to throw on each given day. All practice and approximate scrimmage times are subject to change.

Date Practice Scrimmage Scheduled Pitchers
    Thursday, Oct. 13 3:30 PM 5:00 PM Sproat, Waldrep, Tejeda, Clemente, Purnell, Fisher
    Friday, Oct. 14 1:30 PM 3:00 PM Coppola, Neely, Ficarrotta, Arroyo, Nesbitt, Jameson
    Saturday, Oct. 15 11:30 PM 1:00 PM Caglianone, Slater, Abner, Ursitti, Blair, Finnvold
    Sunday, Oct. 16 OFF OFF OFF