Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2023 Official Roster Tracker/Lineup???

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 12, 2022.

1. srqgtr

srqgtr Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    I think Sully will put Colby back at leadoff based upon what he has done this summer. Of course, if he has a poor fall, that could change.

This is going to be a fun year!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

THAT is the plan!:D

• Like Like x 3
  3. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    I stand corrected.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    Important Fall Dates
    Sunday, Oct. 9 First day of fall practice
    Friday, Oct. 28 Florida vs. Georgia (in Jacksonville)
    Saturday, Nov. 5 Florida vs. Stetson (Condron Family Ballpark)
    Nov. 10, 11 & 13 Orange vs. Blue Series

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    • Like Like x 2
  6. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Highest OBP is what you want for a lead off man especially if he is a good base runner. I can live with the occasional solo shot to lead off the game. Rickey Henderson hit nearly 300 dingers in his HOF MLB career.

He got hot late so I am not buying this argument.

Two hole guys need to be able to make contact and hit behind runners and rarely strike out. Often they are looking to not go yard.

With the power that WL showed maybe three hole would be a better spot as long as we have good lead-off and second hole hitters. I know that sometimes the two hole guys moves the runner up and that might take the bat out of WL's hands.

In any event this is a good problem for Sully to have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. fat_gator

fat_gator Junior

Sep 7, 2021

8. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Actually the Yankees have batted Judge in the 2 spot most of the year behind Lemahieu their best contact hitter, rather than in the more traditional 3 or 4 spot. I tend to agree with you that I would prefer Wyatt to hit 3rd if we have a couple guys that can hit for average ahead of him. Hate to waste those lead off homeruns with the bases empty.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. toprowgator

toprowgator GC Legend

Jun 24, 2019
    Agreed. Is it my poor memory or have we hit a ton of solo shots the last two seasons.

10. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Here is an interesting photograph. These three could end up three of our most productive bats this year. Its probably a reach to expect that from Heyman as a freshman but if he is as good as they say it makes this photograph all the more telling at season's end. Don't get me wrong I think that Caglianone and Riopelle will have plenty to say about productivity but some photos speak louder than words.
    [​IMG]
    Luke Heyman (left), Wyatt Langford (middle) and Colby Halter (right) pose outside of Terwilliger Elementary prior to their Sept. 8 visit.

Gators Begin September with Trio of Community Service Visits - Florida Gators

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I was reminded of some great news today on the heels of the football team losing this Saturday. Fall Ball starts in less than 4 weeks.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  12. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    FWIW, Judge is hitting leadoff tonight. 2 solo jacks. I don’t follow every game so I don’t know how recent this move is.

13. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Judge batting first and Stanton second. They’ve used that lineup the past 3 or 4 games. Unusual but let’s see if it produces.

14. fat_gator

fat_gator Junior

Sep 7, 2021
    I think it seems that way because
    for the last 10 years we have only avg. 67 homeruns per season, 2022 we HIT 121 homeruns, so there were way more homeruns than usual. In fact in the past 10 years the only year we hit close was 2018 with 100

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. fat_gator

fat_gator Junior

Sep 7, 2021
    Sully must have told them how to do it...lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Does it give help to anyone if I add the schedule to the original post? Ocalaman has the link and many usually look it up themselves. Let me know your opinion if it helps you follow Gator Baseball and I'll gladly add it to the thread.

I felt the SEC home schedule for us is a little blah this year. Much will be riding on how Vandy ends up the season. I'm glad we have Miami back at home this year to help our crowd support, even though I prefer many of the Miami fans to stay home. I am happy that none of our SEC home games are on a Thursday which will help our fan turnout. I would think getting the last game of the FSU series in Gainesville as planned will also boost attendance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    Seems that Wes usually posts a separate schedule thread but I may be misremembering.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

LMAO—if memory serves me correctly that is the quote from Roger Clemens during his steroids hearing when he was asked about the testimony given by Andy Pettite—RC said “he must be misremembering”……..;)

Actually I think you’re correct about WES and the schedule.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Just 3 weeks away from the start of fall ball. The way I see it we have 2 fielding positions open, one in the infield at second or third depending where Halter ends up and one outfield position. Pitching has plenty of arms to go around as we start out. Now its just a matter of dialing in rotations and key relievers. I could throw a hand full of names out there for DH but that all depends on who gets the starting spots in the field. I'm looking forward to see how the competition heats up from day one with lots of talented hitters coming in against plenty of talented arms to face. I hope to see a few standouts by the end of the first 7-10 days as guys start to step up and challenge for the last few spots. October 9th can't come soon enough.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Here's a link to three short comments on Gators and the 2023 draft.
    Top 20 college prospects for '23 Draft
    4. Wyatt Langford, OF, Florida
    After collecting just four at-bats as a freshman, Langford led the SEC with a school-record 26 homers last spring while batting .355/.447/.719. He's similar to Crews and some scouts prefer Langford because he has a better right-handed swing as well as more speed and athleticism, though he has spent most of his college career in left field.
    16. Brandon Sproat, RHP, Florida
    The highest unsigned player in the 2019 Draft (seventh round, Rangers), Sproat boosted his stock by allowing just seven earned runs in his final six starts last spring while pushing his fastball to 99 mph and his slider to 91. The Mets took him in the third round without discussing financial parameters, and he turned them down to try to go higher in 2023. He also can miss bats with a low-80s curveball and mid-80s changeup, and if he can maintain the improved control and command he showed down the stretch, he could fit in the first round.
    19. Hurston Waldrep, RHP, Florida
    A seldom-used reliever as a Southern Mississippi freshman, Waldrep logged a 3.20 ERA with a 140/33 K/BB ratio in 90 innings as a starter last spring, ranking third in NCAA Division I in whiff rate (14.0 per nine innings) before transferring to Florida. His fastball parks at 94-96 mph and peaks at 98 mph, though it gets hit harder than his mid-80s slider and changeup, and his delivery creates some reliever risk.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1