Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2023 Official Roster Tracker/Lineup???

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 12, 2022.

1. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Not to be pedantic but you know me…

Triple 20 is better than a bull’s eye. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  2. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I was reminded today that Ulloa the Juco MIF is also missing from the roster

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It would be something if hitting improved.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Taking another look at the batting order possibilities.

3B - Colby Halter (L)
    CF - Wyatt Langford (R)
    1B - Jac Caglianone (L)
    C - BT Riopelle (L)
    DH - Luke Heyman (R)/Tyler Shelnut (R)
    RF - Ty Evans (R)
    LF - Richie Schiekofer (L)/Michael Robertson(L)
    SS - Josh Rivera (R)
    2B - Dale Thomas (R)

Once again Halter should get the leadoff spot based on his summer results but I'm wondering how long that will last when we get to SEC play. I really like Langford in the 2 spot since he can make things happen with his bat and on the base paths. Wyatt, Jac and BT are going to give pitching staffs lots to think about, especially if anyone gets on base. DH is the biggest unknown since we haven't seen any of the new guys step into the box yet. Evans could slide up or down in this lineup depending how he starts the season. I'm not giving up on Prevask though in RF. I believe Schiekofer will get the start in LF but I'm pulling for Robertson to really step it up this year. Lastly if this lineup is so good that Rivera and Thomas are the 8 and 9 hitters then we are definitely loaded.

• Like Like x 1
  5. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Big WL fan but I have to wonder if 25 HRs is ideal in the leadoff spot. Or even 2nd. The bottom of the order was poor to awful on a number of occasions last year and if that continues, Wyatt’s ABs are limited upside. I really want him at 3 with Jac behind him.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I don't disagree but who would you suggest in the 2 spot? Langford also gives you speed early in the order, even more so than Halter. I recall checking Schiekofer has a good average but does not do well stealing bases, something like 2 for 5 last season, don't hold me to that. Rivera and Thomas are lower averages that are usually lower in the order. (Oh wait, I've got Jud Fabian on line two.) For me if Robertson is able to claim a starting spot and can hit then he moves up to the 1 or 2 spot. Thereby moving WL, JC, BT all down a spot.

7. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I wouldn’t focus on SB. The best year I could find (and I only checked “good” years) was 94ish SB in 2010. Most years were 75-80 with a couple in the 50-60 range.

Just using 2022 as “average” for the NCAA since I don’t want to check every year, 94 would have finished 31st nationally and 80 would be tied for 59th. Running isn’t a huge component of Sully’s approach, good or bad.

OBP would be my key. And here we have a problem. For all of the frustrating aspects of Jud’s approach at the plate, he had an OBP of .414 last year. 3rd on the team unless I missed someone. BT who had a much better average was only .371.

Jac, Evans, Halter etc aren’t better…

I lean toward BT in the 2 hole and WL and Jac in 3-4. L-R-L. If Halter gets another shot at leadoff, that means L-L-R-L. Need a R in 5th to break that up (Evans?).

But my bet is someone will surprise and make that group shift a bit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Great approach to the problem and again I can't disagree. All thoughts are valid at this point until Sully starts to narrow in. Personally I don't see Sully putting BT in the two spot based on last year keeping him in the 4th spot almost all year long. Sully really favors BT even though some might not like it otherwise. I like tracking the OBP as you probably followed many of my stat trackers last year and supported Jud Fabian staying higher in the order. You are correct that stolen bases don't matter to Sully because of how he calls the game for many years now. I prefer to keep pressure on the defense and wish we played more small ball especially when we get a lead.
    Overall my purpose for posting a what if batting average is to inspire exactly this. Gator baseball fans wanting to engage in healthy conversation about what's best for this team. So thanks for offering your thoughts. Now let's see who has another better idea.

9. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outstanding info. Only thing I might disagree with is WL in center. I think he's fine in left. Robertson can fly and cf is his natural spot.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Definitely is a possibility. I'm all for Robertson winning a spot. I'm unsure after sitting out a year if he will be ready for some stiff competition with the three outfield spots. I don't believe Schiekofer would be coming in without a real chance of getting playing time and makes we wonder if Sully knows more about Robertson's chances. I haven't seen much between these two making plays or long throws to home but I have to think Schiekofer has the advantage with the bat until proven otherwise. If Robertson is the best fielder and hitter then yes I'd put him in CF and possibly leading off.

• Like Like x 1
  11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

87—

I’m all for putting the best fielder, arm, and hitter in CF myself too!:cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. fat_gator

fat_gator Junior

Sep 7, 2021
    WL is as fast as anyone on that team. How do you not put your best players up the middle?

13. fat_gator

fat_gator Junior

Sep 7, 2021
    We are qui
    So we take a guy that hit just shy of .400 in lead off spot and put in a guy that never played in SeC?

14. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    It isn’t like anyone is suggesting WL isn’t a massive component to the team. The question is where he is most valuable. He is a top 10ish player in all of America.

My argument is Mike Trout doesn’t lead off. Nor does Judge nor Pujols nor any “best” dude.

Am I misunderstanding your point???

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I said possibly. I was replying to jdgator and his comment about Robertson and it being a possibility. The way I see it anything is possible until fall ball starts. I'm assuming Robertson would have a very good average as well to even be considered. He is the fastest player we have and would be a base stealing threat every time he gets on. Langford hit .355 last season and even better this summer. I'm hoping he can drive in more runs with more runners on base if he is in the 2nd or 3rd spot. As you can see in my batting order in post 584 I have Halter leading off assuming he can continue his success at the plate from the summer leagues. Robertson is only listed as a backup possibility dependent how he looks when he gets another chance after sitting out. If Halter and Robertson struggle then I would expect Sully to go with Langford again even though we might score less runs. I said might.

16. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I meant to include the Rutgers transfer as well. In fact, he probably has the better shot based on his body of work. Robertson didn't have a good summer apparently, however it was in the Cape.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Matherly, I waited all last year for Robertson's batting to make a statement. Here's hoping.

Another Soph to be be Outfielder with promise is Matthew Prevesk.

Your lineup sounds promising. I love it when a Sully team hits well.

PS. Catcher Luke Heyman will be interesting to follow.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    What I really like most about all the freshmen we had last year is how many sophomores and second year players we have now.;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Last year's class was the biggest I've seen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    5220—

Agreed, I think that because of the Covid year/cancellation of the season/retention of a year’s eligibility we now have the biggest group of underclass men ever.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1