Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2023 Official Roster Tracker/Lineup???

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 12, 2022.

1. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Yes I'm wondering the same thing but I wish he was a better base stealer. I'd offer maybe he bats second but with Halter, Riopelle and Caglianone all hitting from the left I would think Sully would want to break that up some. The unknown, does Halter take another mid season nose dive again, has to keep Sully curious until he sees them again this fall. I hope Heyman is as good with the bat as they say he is.

2. volungator

volungator All American

Tennessee has done a great job developing players.
    I hope Sully gets our Gators back on top. Barco should have developed into a top ten pick. Jud went backwards. Rivera was supposed to be a day one draft talent. I'm starting to think Sully has adopted Corbin's plan to win on talent alone. Gators players aren't getting better from one year to the next.

3. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Can't say I disagree, but at least Sully and Corbin have won NCs.

4. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sterling Thompson and Wyatt Langford both improved quite a bit this year, especially Langford. Despite stepping up in competition by moving to the SEC, Riopelle made a huge jump from .270-8-27 at Coastal Carolina to .304-15-55 this year at UF. To say Gator players don’t improve is ridiculous.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Josh Rivera also made huge defensive strides this year.

Sproat improved massively from FR year to the end of the this year. Even this year alone he made big improvements.

Nander de Sedas was a top HS player and he never amounted to anything close to his projection in college. He started and was fine but he wasn’t what he was supposed to be. He is one of MANY.

Look at the success rate of MLB teams with their HS draft picks. It is abysmal. During the MLB draft show, they showed the first HS pitcher taken in every draft back to 2012ish. None later than #14. In 2012, Max Fried was the first HS pitcher taken. He worked out. Since him, Ian Anderson and Hunter Greene are the only other pitchers to have any impact whatsoever at the MLB level in a decade!!!

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Greg—
    I don’t think that those numbers with regards to HS pitchers taken in the draft will ever change much. The numbers we had for this back in 2001 when Alan was taken in the first round by Cleveland matched up with what you are saying. 5% of HS pitchers stuck to make a career while 67% of college pitchers had success. Neither is an absolute but the results are pretty obvious.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    And that is because HS numbers/projection are a complete crap shoot. Baseball has a much harder projection than other sports and as a result, having a couple highly rated guys not “develop” is expected.

Saying, “Sully didn’t develop Person X” is asinine. Every single MLB organization is equally “guilty” of failing to develop kids since so many HS kids fail?!??? Every organization must be complete rubbish then… Ridiculous.

I have beaten this to death but give me some names of players that significantly improved after Sully suggesting there was a lot more talent in the tank than he was able to bring out…

• Like Like x 1
  8. hogtowngator

hogtowngator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Barco was on his way to that level when he tore his UCL.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

That’s an easy one—look at the Gators pitching staff of the 2017 National Championship team—now back up to their freshman years and see how much improvement took place.:ninja3:

• Like Like x 1
  10. fat_gator

fat_gator Junior

Sep 7, 2021
    Think he was Implying the staff/coaches dont help them. As far as Langford, the kid never got a chance to see what he could do last year so you have no way of knowing. He left Gators and went straight to summer ball and LIT sh@t up. Apparently he was good last year.

• Like Like x 1
  11. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Now this is a fair critique of Sully in my view. He has been stubborn and stuck with certain guys and positions way too long. I don’t know what he sees at practice or fall ball or perhaps more concerning what promises are made in recruiting which lead to such stubbornness. Langford is a great example of a guy who never even got a shot as a FR. Are there others like him? Almost assuredly and that does need to be addressed.

But this isn’t a development issue. It is a favoritism or something else issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. fat_gator

fat_gator Junior

Sep 7, 2021
    he seemed to be more open to freshman this past season, several guys got a shot here and there. Although one kid seemed to get way too much of a chance before being sat. More than likely behind scenes deal/promises.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I think some of those late changes are what drove the late season success. No doubt he did move some guys around and he deserves credit for those changes.

I haven’t looked at the stats lately so I am going completely from memory (read: This is likely errant), the arms were cycled through a lot. He had a pretty quick hook when the strike zone was impenetrable so total innings pitched for a couple guys might be low. However, I still felt like nearly every arm got a reasonable shot. If you didn’t rise to the occasion, it was on you imo.

The hitters were more uneven. I felt there wasn’t enough rotation at the start of the year. Limited bats. It is what it is to some degree. But would like to see more guys get some chances this year early.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    O'Sullivan has historically been more than happy to play freshmen and in important starting roles, too. I don't know what the deal was with Langford in 2021 -- maybe he was genuinely terrible in fall camp and in practices. I can't say. Regardless, that certainly looks like a wild misevaluation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Barco had a .89 WHIP and .187 BAA then went in the 2nd round with Tommy John. What a weird thing to say.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Also suggests it's an outlier rather than evidence that we have All SEC players just languishing on the bench.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. volungator

volungator All American

Sully's always been willing to play freshmen. I fear Deric Fabian is not an SEC starter.

18. volungator

volungator All American

We're going to have players drafted. I fear we're not developing our talent to the extent we have in the past. Just compare UT's classes and draft results. It's trending in the wrong direction.

19. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I'm not knocking your comments, only trying to support. The reason Langford didn't play the year before was because we had Jacob Young, Jud Fabian, and Sterlin Thompson slotted in the outfield. Langford at that time was an unproven true freshmen coming in from Trenton that was a backup catcher coming in behind guys like Hickey and Guscette whom had much better potential and dare I say higher prospect ratings than the kid from Trenton. It wasn't until this past off season that Wyatt went about changing his body and working on his speed to make himself a better player. Sure he might have been a better hitter his first year than Sully expected but he was still a 3rd or even 4th string catcher at that point, not the outfielder he is today. Hickey, Young, and Thompson were three of our best hitters in 2021 so who do you take out? Sure people can complain about Jud's numbers but Sully would be an idiot to sit one of his best center fielders he has seen, other than his batting average and strikeouts.
    My take, anyone can hype on one or two players and offer statistics to prove their narrative or opinions. I'm sure we can all agree that Langford is an outliner in the expectations of any coach. I've questioned Sully plenty of times about his mid season choices and been frustrated more than most about his slow approach to make changes. But to keep going back and forth about one or two key players as an example of Sully's ability to coach is a bit narrow on the grand scheme of things. I realize Sully is not a perfect human being like the rest of us and I hope he gets his personal life fixed enough to get his focus back on this team and the potential these players have to be good again so we can go kick Tennessee and Vitello's butt like we used to.

20. fat_gator

fat_gator Junior

Sep 7, 2021
    I attended many Fall scrimmages and that was not the case, Langford mashed., and in 2021 he played 4 freshman ,Carrion, Gusette, Thompson and Halter. I also watched the Fall 2020 Orange blue game on tv and Langford and Acton was only 2 that got hits off Leftwhich, so your regards to him being terrible is misconstrued. If you go back to the end of season last year, out of hand games( lets take the final for example) He made no attempt to get other freshman playing time for 2022. Even when Gusette broke his hand ealier in season, he did not give the freshman bullpen catcher a chance, instead played Greenfield (who couldn't hit the water if he jumped from a boat) If you notice this year he did at least let Lastres catch some (before his injury)

article from Fall report 2020
    18 – Hits by sophomore outfielder Jacob Young, which leads the team. Young's .375 batting average (18 of 48) is also tops on the team, while his 11 runs scored are tied with Armstrong for the team lead, and his .423 on-base percentage trails only Fabian's .424 and freshman Wyatt Langford's team-leading .471.
    entire article:
    Numbers of Note: Fall Ball Reaches Halfway Point - Florida Gators

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022