Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2022 Roster/Lineup/Batting Order

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Notes after Game 1 with JU 3/8...
    1. Not to take anything away from the great pitching tonight but I walked away thinking tonight's game was won with our defense. If Colby, Jud, or Kenny drop any of those balls, it could have put another runner on base and ramped up the pressure on our pitching. Those were three less outs the other team had in a 1 run ball game. Sure its every detail that makes a difference in a 1 run game but this team is impressive with only 6 errors on the year.
    2. Great call by Sully on all three of those bunts, the one with BT in particular. We had 2 outs before Langford walked. The bunt by BT was perfect and allowed a runner to move into scoring position. Then it was left to Calilao to come thru with the game winning hit. If not for that bunt call neither team may have scored after 9.
    3. Props to Kris Armstrong for getting his BA off the Interstate and raising his average over 70 points going 3 for 3. Most importantly that's two games in a row that he went oppo thru a shifted infield. Hit 'em where they ain't big boy! Its the little things that can make a difference.
    4. Alright, Alright.... props to all 3 pitchers for shutting them down tonight, masterful job. Crazy to think but our pitching is starting to sound like a broken record. Then think about last year again and the times we gave up more runs any time a reliever came in. Who would have thunk it!
    5. Another poster caught this as well but needs to be said again. In the radio interview after the game Sully said Pogue will be out there this weekend. I don't know if he will be starting, with a bad Seton Hall coming to town my guess is yes, but if he shines for 2-3 innings as well, Katie bar the door. In less than one month we could have gone from one sure starting pitcher to possibly seven with a full bullpen.
    6. Very glad to see Sully taking our advice again and moving Kenny up in the order above Rivera as I had suggested would be coming. Again if Rivera had batted in the 6 spot then Josh would have come up with 2 men on and 2 outs in the 6th instead of KC. Oh yeah, JR didn't have a hit tonight.
    7. Getting the shut out dropped our team ERA down to 2.16. Sure that won't last long but it keeps getting better. And our opponents Team BA on the season is now down to .193. Another great job by our pitching staff and the coaches that are working with them.
    8. Milchin and the rest of the staff should be all set for tomorrow night. Sully said Neely was slated to go second tonight but his back spasmed while in warmups. Watch to see he is good to go tomorrow. Let's hope we get a big lead early to give the less experienced guys some more mound time.
    9. With JU lacking their better arms hopefully our bats will get back to more timely hitting. We left 7 runners on base tonight and while that's not as bad as Miami last weekend, it could be an area of concern going into SEC play. JU is throwing out Earl somebody with a 6.75 ERA. Wind blowing out so look for plenty of deep fly balls out of here.
    10. Rain looks to be an issue for Wednesday, Friday and into Saturday morning. Let's hope we get the most of what we can to get everyone one last go around before SEC play starts.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Interesting batting stat of the day
    Ask yourself who are our leaders in On Base Percentage with a minimum of 20 ABs? Most on here without looking would start Halter then Thompson then maybe Riopelle then hhmmm

Well here's the current OB% order on 3/8 after tonight's game

1. Colby Halter - .470 (see I told ya)
    2. Jud Fabian - .446 (wait what?)
    3. BT Riopelle - .436 (hey you forgot ST)
    4. Wyatt Langford - .431 (nah nah nah this is mixed up man)
    5. Sterlin Thompson - .422 (are you sure)
    6. Deric Fabian - .418 (props to Ocala represent)

• Like Like x 1
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

87—

Great points throughout your post. I particularly liked #6 where you pointed out “Very glad to see Sully taking our advice again”—I spit coffee out on that one!;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I'm wondering if Sully goes Barco/Sproat/Manning or Barco/Sproat/Pogue. Giving Pogue the start is intriguing because of the weaker competition but I would think Sully wants his rotation set on the last weekend before SEC starts. It should be an interesting spice blend for Sully to see what he is cooking up this weekend. On the year Seton Hall is 0-10. Their team BA is .215 and their team pitching ERA is 9.00.

5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

87—

I would expect Sully to establish his rotation the weekend before the start of the conference schedule. I would also expect to see Pogue at the start of a new inning rather than brought into the game with a situation already in play. But that’s just me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Another interesting point about our improved defense this year and only 6 errors verses 17 at this point last year. As I recall last year with all the determined errors we also had a bunch of bobbles and bad plays that were deemed to be hits that could have kept our error numbers down more than they actually were. This year there hasn't really been many bad plays that were questionable for an error or not. Again most of our errors this year have been from bad throws. That's how good our gloves have been so far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Brain teaser of the day.....
    Without looking which Gator hitter has the lowest strikeouts to at bats ratio so far this year, minimum 20 ABs?
    And yes its lookupable.
    Jeopardy music playing in the background......

• Like Like x 1
  8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Without looking it up I will say Halter.

• Like Like x 1
  9. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Sterlin?

• Like Like x 1
  10. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Gators
    Mac Guscette 2 K's in 20 AB's. (I did look it up, though)

Gators host Seton Hall for 3 games this weekend before playing #8 FSU next Tuesday and then opening their SEC schedule next weekend at Alabama. Seton Hall comes in 0-10, having been shut out 4 times with 108 K's and scoring only 16 runs total. Their team batting average is .215 and their team ERA is 9.00.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    I would have guessed BT

12. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    cheater! :p:D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    Not surprised it's Mac-- he makes contact but doesn't seem to have too much pop in his bat. BT has clearly impressed and won the job and Lastres solid and a star in the near future, in my view.
    BTW- weather forecast for Friday night is not good. I anticipate they get the Saturday evening game in and than play two 7 inning games on Sunday. I am sure Sully will want to get the three games in play a few new guys and get Pogue a couple of innings - especially after postponement Wednesday.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Here's a trivia challenge for everybody. Which Gator pitcher holds the school, SEC and NCAA record for most appearances in a season? He, also, holds the school, SEC and NCAA record for most appearances in a college career.

• Like Like x 1
  15. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I thought Connor Falkenbach had a huge number of appearances one year. But NCAA record? No clue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    You got it, gtj. 51 appearances in 2005; 124 appearances during his career from 2002-05. Amazing when you think about it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Fabian has a pretty good eye and solid plate discipline -- he just swings and misses a lot. Old-timers might remember Adam Dunn, who drew a ton of walks while air conditioning every stadium he played in.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Yep and my point with this is, like 77 says, Mac is making contact with the ball. The thing that backs it up is he only has 1 walk. So 18 out of 20 ABs have resulted in contact, Unfortunately he only has 3 hits and a .150 average. Mac certainly has not been making good contact like he started last year but the potential is still there for him to get hot.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Once we get into SEC play, do you think we see Riopelle & Guscette platooning or does O'Sullivan stay with the hot bat regardless of who's pitching?

20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

I remember when we were in Athens in 2005 for our weekend vs the Dawgs @Foley Field—As game time approached it’s start for the Friday night game all of our bullpen guys came out of our dugout (3rd base line) and were heading to the bullpen. Our uniform tops had each player’s last name on the back across the shoulders—

As Connor came out of the dugout heading to the bullpen and came in sight of the fans a rather well lubricated UGA fan saw his name on the back of his jersey and he hollers “Holy chit, FALK-EN-BACH—Please tell me y’all will bring him in every game!”………..:ninja3:

• Funny Funny x 2