Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2022 Roster/Lineup/Batting Order

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 17, 2021.

1. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    For this weekend, Liberty was the better team. That was a very tough team to open the season against, but other than Barco their pitching was better, they made several great defensive plays and they hit it better than our guys. Lots for the coaching staff to figure out going forward.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Quick thoughts before I go get dinner.....
    My number one comment for our hitting, I hope Sully tries the first five he started with in spring practice. The top of the order for many scrimmages was
    Jud Fabian
    Sterlin Thompson
    Josh Rivera
    Kris Armstrong
    Wyatt Langford
    These 5 seemed to work well together in the scrimmages. Sure it was against our problem pitching but at least they were scoring lots of runs. When Sully shuffled things up in the scrimmages the scoring went down to where we are now. I know Rivera and Armstrong struggled to get on base this weekend but Rivera ended with two good hits today. Armstrong will see better pitches with Langford behind him. Jud was robbed of another double but he also got 3 walks and a HBP and he's is tied for third in OB%. Jud actually has a better OB% (.385) than Halter (.286). Calilao has to drop down for now. Zero for eleven with 5 strikeouts is not a good start. Personally I prefer Langford batting 4th where he deserves to be but this first 5 was working the best in scrimmages. So let's give it a try when the lights come on.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
  3. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    As for the pitchers, here's the leaders out of the gate....
    # ---Player ---------ERA WHIP
    12 Barco, Hunter --0.00 .33
    13 Slater, Ryan ----0.00 .75
    28 Hartman, Karl --0.00 .50
    41 Purnell, Blake --0.00 .00
    18 Coppola, Pierce 4.15 1.62
    8 Sproat, Brandon 4.50 1.50
    Everyone else is over 7 ERA so let's give their numbers time to settle. Certainly Coppola feels like he pitched better than his 4.15 ERA looks. The positive is seeing Slater, Hartman, and Purnell off to a great start coming out of the bullpen. Shout out to @gator1977 for the good info from practices on these three. Maybe they will become what we need to win 2 out of 3 each weekend to go with Barco and Coppola. I know its just the first weekend and so much will change but the numbers will tell the story.
    I guess my point here, it will be very interesting to see who Sully runs out there on Tuesday at Stetson. A road game probably means Milchin to start and then let the flood gates open with Neely, Jameson, Finnvold, and Ursitti. Then we turn them all around and get ready for Wednesday at home. I wouldn't mind seeing Hartman get a start at a midweek but we need him more for the weekends. Maybe start Sproat on Wednesday with the home crowd. Losing those six pitchers to the portal from last year might leave us wondering what do we have for this year.

4. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Melching Field at Stetson is 335 to the corners, 375 in the gaps and 403 to center. Fairly similar to ours without the wall angles. Langford should find it easier to run down any high fly balls without trying to run through any walls. Not much wind in the forecast so hopefully bombs away for our hitters.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Here are some stats of interest after the Stetson game.
    1. Two Gators are leading the team with 4 walks each, Deric Fabian and Jud Fabian. No one else has more than one.
    2. Of the Gator hitters with more than 5 at bats the leader in On Base % is Deric Fabian at .500.
    3. As a team the Gators are now batting .234, up from .183.
    4. Two Gators lead in runs scored, Josh Rivera and Jud Fabian. These two also lead the with 2 doubles.
    5. Sterlin Thompson leads the Gators in 7 stats of hitters with more than 5 ABs.
    6. Sterlin Thompson leads the Gators with 8 RBIs. The second Gator has 3 RBIs.....and he is Deric Fabian.
    7. The leading Gator in Walks to Strikeout ratio is (more than 5 AB).........believe it or not is Jud Fabian at 4 and 4.
    8. Nick Fic dropped his ERA down to 2.57 after a great appearance against the Hatters.
    9. As a team the Gators now have an ERA of 3.50 with 45 strikeouts to 19 walks and 8 batters hit.
    10. And my favorite stat the Gators have yet to commit a defined error.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Based on the first 4 games let's play around with the batting order.

DH - Tucker Talbott (R)
    2B - Colby Halter (L)
    CF - Jud Fabian (R)
    RF - Sterlin Thompson (L)
    SS - Josh Rivera (R)
    LF - Wyatt Langford (R)
    1B - Kris Armstrong (S)
    C - Mac Guscette (R)/BT Riopelle (L)
    3B - Deric Fabian (R)

I sure hope T Squared gets in again on Wednesday night against UNF. Deric could move up some with his productivity but I doubt Sully moves him much if any. Jud has a low average but leads in several production stats. His patience at the plate will start to pay off here soon. I hope UNF throws a RHP so Big Time Riopelle can get back in for some swings. If Rivera keeps his hitting streak going I could see him back batting 3rd and Jud batting 5th.

7. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    You want Calilao to get going BUT you have to reward Tucker. You have to…

Maybe sit Armstrong to get Calilao another shot??

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Greg—

Since Armstrong is a SH how about alternate them at first base with Calilao facing LHP and Armstrong facing RHP?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Armstrong did not look comfortable at the plate last night, definitely scuffling. I don'tknow if the answer is to let him play his way out of it or to sit, but we saw last night how KC was handled.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    That seems most logical until Talbot cools off. Could do the same with Talbot and Riopele in the DH slot when Riopele isn't catching.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I am onboard with that as long as Tucker is in the lineup tonight. You have to reward that type of night.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    I just read where O'Sullivan named Manning this Saturday's starter during his press conference after the game. Did not name tonight's starter vs. UNF.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Sproat has the start for tonight.

14. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Hope he takes his 2-seamer to the mound with him every inning!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Word is Pogue is coming along nicely and plans are still for him to be back by SEC play. If all goes well he could still end up as a weekend starter. That would give us the L-R-L that everyone wants to see.:cool:

16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

I pull for Pogue as much as anyone—understanding the recovery, re-hab protocols, mental and physical hurdles can be staggering to say the least.

Every pitcher is different as to how their body reacts and mends. I would encourage everyone to pull for Pogue but don’t expect “game speed” without bumps in the road.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I'm starting to wonder if we have anyone else that could play 1st with a decent bat.....
    Maybe move Thompson to first??? Only joking kind of.
    I know its just 5 games but Calilao and/or Armstrong have to do better than .100. Sully will have to make a move if these two don't improve over the weekend. At least Jud has been robbed of a few base hits and he gets usually with a walk or two. KA has no walks, no HBP, only 1 hit and a OB% of .050.

Edit: Just wrote a great idea in the game thread that answers my own question. Sully could move Langford back to first like he was before which opens up LF for Talbott to move back to as well.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
  18. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Is it too early to panic with Calilao and Armstrong, knowing the past success they've had? I know they are off to horrible starts, but you have to think that with their proven record, we need their experience in the lineup for the SEC grind. I honestly don't think we can have a top 20 type season without their bats.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    So here is a really weird stat. Most everyone knows how bad these guys are struggling as follows....
    Jud has only 2 hits
    KC has only 1 hit
    KA has only 1 hit
    Guscette has only 1 hit
    Strange thing is everyone of these hits are doubles. Could it be another curse of the "I only hit doubles" kind of thing?

20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Oh, Lawd—now you’ve gone and done it with a curse! What if the dreaded “I have to hit a triple” curse lands on their backs…..

• Funny Funny x 2