Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2022 Roster/Lineup/Batting Order

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 17, 2021.

1. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    Forgot to note Orange top of the order:
    Thompson
    Jud
    Rivera
    Langford
    Armstrong
    Interesting remix.

2. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Yes I'm wondering the same about Rivera. If he's not throwing by this Monday/Tuesday then you have to think Deric or Halter start at SS. When I've been there the Blue always has Halter at SS and Deric at 3rd for most of the scrimmage. I'm sure either of them are ready for SS if needed. And maybe that's why we continue to see Sterlin at 2nd. Who knows but we will find out what Sully has in mind and who he can count on a week from Friday. I guess I'll wait until after Saturday's scrimmage to take my final guess at the possible lineup to at least marinate for 6 days until it gets updated again. HA

• Like Like x 1
  3. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I find it odd with so many good left hand hitters we might start L-R-R-R. If this stays I'm sure Rivera will see much better pitches to hit being sandwiched between Jud and Wyatt.

4. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    The year starts slow. @Miami in week 3 is the only challenge for a bit so I wouldn’t worry about Rivera not throwing yet.

5. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Check again Liberty was 41-16 last year and went 19-2 in their conference. They took out #19 Duke by defeating them twice in the Knoxville Regional and was competitive with Tennessee in their final game. I look for some well played baseball here for opening weekend.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Yeah fine. If Liberty is a major concern in G-ville, not a good sign. Sure, they are fine. They aren’t top 25 in any poll I have seen. Not saying they suck but missing a SS while at home shouldn’t be the deciding factor in the series. If it is, UF isn’t close to #6.

7. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Don't take Liberty for granted, my friend. They are a quality program.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Gators Baseball Unveils 2022 SEC Television Schedule - Florida Gators
    Day - Date --Time (ET)Away Home Network
    Friday March 25 7:00 PM LSU Florida SECN
    Tuesday March 29 7:00 PM Florida State Florida SECN
    Thursday March 31 8:00 PM Florida Georgia ESPNU
    Thursday April 7 7:00 PM Arkansas Florida SECN
    Friday April 15 7:00 PM Florida Vanderbilt ESPN2
    Saturday April 16 7:00 PM Florida Vanderbilt SECN
    Sunday April 17 1:00 PM Florida Vanderbilt ESPNU
    Sunday May 11 2:00 PM Kentucky Florida SECN
    Friday May 6 8:00 PM Florida Mississippi State SECN
    Saturday May 7 7:30 PM Florida Mississippi State ESPNU

9. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    To the degree my elderly memory works, Sully normally keeps the guys on the same two scrimmage squads. I can't say with certainty that always has been true, but it has been the routine for several years. It's not1st team/2nd team, but some years one squad is more powerful. The pitchers generally stay on one squad, too. On the other hand, there is some shuffling, often for injuries. This spring, he switched Mac and Riopelle, I suppose to give Riopelle more work, rather than sharing time with Lestres. Also, they don't always stick with one color, maybe to allow more time for laundry? Orange usually is the visiting team. But that varies, too. Geez, I notice some insignificant details.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    Other than FS and Miami, the pre-conf games don't mean a lot, and even those games are less important than games against bottom of the SEC opponents, but I want to compete against those teams and they badly want to beat the Gators. That's why Stetson, FAU, UNF or whoever will throw their Friday starter on a Tuesday in Gvl. Liberty wants to leave town with as many wins as possible. They've been talking about it in their clubhouse since the fall.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    OK, ignore most of that post. Lots of shuffling on Thursday. I think I saw the starting infield: Calilao, Halter, DFabian and Armstrong. Nice to see DiGoti batting, plus Caglianone threw overhand warming up before the scrimmage and threw underhand to warm up the infield each inning. Poor Jameson got knocked around again. Too bad after his promising fall. I hope he finds a groove as the season moves on. Coppola pitched like a starter until he loaded the bases with no outs in the 4th. Finvold came in with one out, gave up a sac fly, and retired the side. Still a good outing for Pierce.

• Informative Informative x 3
  12. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Was Rivera even playing infield or batting? If not then that should be the infield you saw. If so I expect we will see it again on Saturday.

13. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Glad to see Coppola came back out in the 4th. Ethan's report last time Coppola pitched said he went 3 innings striking out 9. This shows Sully's continued development in him as a weekend starter. I believe the only pitcher to go 4 so far has been Barco. I hope to see Barco in good form on Saturday. The other starter should be interesting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    Unusually busy day here with various issues to address- so these observations to be taken with a grain of salt as I was on the phone half the time while watching 3-4 innings of scrimmage.
    Coppola looks ready to be a weekend starter... he was pitching against for most part the A-team and was throwing stikes and getting outs until the 4th when he opened with a 3-2 walk to Rivera and then got hit on the leg by a wicked line drive from Armstrong- frankly he should have come out at that point but didn't.... that was followed by a couple of singles before he was pulled. His stride changed some after gettinh whacked and probably waited too long as they should have looked at him straight off.
    Observations:
    Jameson was hammered for two long HRs in 1st inning by Evans and Riopelle- and did not come out for the 2nd. His star appears to be fading.
    D. Fabian started with the A team at 3rd and made two nice plays but looked completely overmatched in two at-bats vs. Copolla- striking out swinging on 3 and 4 pitches. Ditto vs Coppola on Saturday. Not sure he can make enough contact to stay in the order but we'll see. Rivera not playing the field with DeGoti back and at SS. Thompson in RF and still making contact at plate- stroked a a tough breaking ball to left for hit vs Coppola- a great piece of hitting. Kid can hit. Hoping Coppola can shake off the blast with no ill effect.

• Like Like x 1
  15. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    One correction: Ficarrotta #46 (not Finnvold #49) put out the fire in the 4th after Coppola got hit on leg by Armstrong line drive. Not easy to see the outline practice numbers- but Ficarrotta is RHP; Finnvold LHP

• Like Like x 1
  16. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    Rivera came in in a late inning. Still no throwing.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. salt72

salt72 Sophomore

Sep 29, 2019
    We are not close to number 6th. Not saying we can’t get there but that ranking is based off of Recruiting classes and Sullys reputation.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    One week to go.

19. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    • Like Like x 1
  20. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Agree, I guarantee you Sully ain’t taking Liberty for granted. We hopefully won’t take anyone for granted. I was there for the tourney when we got run by a team that Isn’t nearly as solid as Liberty.