Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2022 Roster/Lineup/Batting Order

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 17, 2021.

1. gator005

gator005 Recruit

Oct 8, 2021
    FYI, The reason that more sophomores are draft eligible is that MLB has pushed back the draft to July 11th last year when it was historically in early June.
    If a player turns 21 within 45 days of the final day of the draft, then they are eligible. With a July 11th draft date, that means players who turn 21 on or before Aug. 27 would be eligible. Thompson and Halter were never held back just have August birthdays.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes, that captures one additional month of birthdays....but the bulk still comes from kids that are held back

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You have to be in your 3rd year or 21 years old to be drafted when you play at a 4 year school. Juco you can get draft each year.

5. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Ok, so it’s age.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Great point, this is what changed. Makes a big difference.

7. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Pretty sure we see Guscette at catcher to start season which then would have Calilao or Riopelle at DH.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    I mentioned his speed and his small ball abilities. Another Venice kid so you know he’s been coached very well. His speed is different than what we’ve seen in a long Time. Trying to think of someone to compare him to.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

shane—

Is that almost like being coached in Ocala?;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Yes sir!!!!

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    Austin Langworthy is the student assistant this year.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Breathing the air in Ocala makes you a batter baseball player. Everybody knows that!!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Apparently its true with Little League and Race Horses.

14. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    At the scrimmage for 5 of the 6 innings-- scouts out en masse with Barco and Sproat on the mound-- Sully had a split squad and 87 may have more details. Barco (3 innings) not quite the dominant Friday stuff yet but getting the outs when needed- minor control issues and some hard hit balls but not bad. Coppola started on the other side (against the top guys) and looked to be throwing hard and well against the A squad but after a Thompson line drive hit, a walk to Rivera-(the out he needed) we gave up a golfed shot by Armstrong to left that was helped by SE wind and out for 3-run banger. Coppola settled down after that and I sense that he may be in the running for weekend rotation. Sproat in relief, started shakily but settled downed and looked good in three innings- at least 4-5 Ks. Neely and others pitched and were all fine. Pitching beginning to improve. 87 may have more detail.

15. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Well done 77 and might I add. Here's the rundown.
    Officially Orange won it 7-2.

The batting order for the Orange
    CF Jud Fabian - SO, FO, PO, HR (1-4 with a HR, 2 RBIs)
    2B Sterlin Thompson - Single, Double, GO, Walk and then picked off first (2-3 with a walk)
    SS Josh Rivera - Walk, Walk, SO, FO (0-2 with 2 walks)
    1B Kris Armstrong - HR, SO, PO, GO (1-4 with a HR. 3 RBIs)
    LF Wyatt Langford - SO, Single, GO, HR (2-4 with a HR, 2 RBIs)
    C/3B BT Riopelle - FO, SO, HBP, GO (0-3)
    3B/C Rene Lastres - GO, GO, SO (0-3)
    RF Ty Evans FO, SO, GO (0-3)

Orange pitchers were Barco for 3 innings gave up 1 run, but was erased unsure why, on 3 hits with 1 walk and had 2 SO. Brandon Neely pitched 2 innings in relief giving up 2 runs on 2 hits with 1 walk and no SO. Also in relief Karl Hartman pitched 2 innings giving up no runs with 3 hits, 2 walks and 1 SO.

The batting order for the Blue
    SS Colby Halter - Walk, Single, FO, GO, GO (1-4 with a walk)
    3B Deric Fabian - Single, Sac Bunt, GO, Walk, SO (1-3 with a walk and a sac bunt)
    1B Kenny Calilao - LO/DP, HBP, FO, LO, GO (0-4)
    C Mac Guscette - SO, Single, GO, Single (2-4)
    CF Mikey Robertson - GO, FO, Double, Walk (1-3 with a walk)
    RF Tucker Talbott - PO, FO, Walk, GO/DP (0-3 with a walk)
    LF Matthew Prevesk - SO, LO, Double, Double (2-4 with 2 doubles, 2 RBIs)
    2B Grad Asst and did not bat

Blue pitchers were Coppola for 2 innings gave up 3 runs off of KA 3 run HR in the first, on 2 hits and a walk with 2 SO. Brandon Sproat came in and pitched 3 innings giving up 1 run on 2 hits with 1 walk and had 4 SO. Karl Hartman pitched 2 innings in relief, gave up 3 runs from 2 HRs, with 1 walk and 1 SO. The 2 HRs were the only 2 hits he allowed.

Pitcher notes....
    Barco looked much sharper thru the first 2. The 3rd inning he gave up a leadoff single to Halter who was sacrificed by Deric with a bunt, and later scored on a sac fly but the run was called off. Otherwise stayed in control like you want to see mixing up his pitches as called. Coppola made the one mistake in the first to Armstrong and left one in the wheelhouse which he deposited over the LF wall as a RH batter. It was a short quick swing with not much effort. Came back in the 2nd and went 3 up 3 down. Neely and Hartman were a bit scattered and gave up some doubles but did their best to control the innings with Neely giving up 2 and Hartman with no runs scored. Sproat started out by giving up a double to Thompson who later scored in the 3rd. After that he settled down and faced the minimum in his next two innings, striking out 4 over 3 innings. Finnvold finished the last 2 giving up a HR in each of his 2 innings. Special note, after Finnvold had a rough outing over the weekend, Sully was very vocal trying to encourage Finnvold with loud assurances of good pitch and there you go's from the dugout but got quiet after the HRs.

Batter notes...
    Jud remains calm at the plate but struck out his first time up. His last AB was a HR to left off of Finnvold and was a no doubter. There was no bat flip but he started his jog out of the batters box. Best batters of the day were Sterlin Thompson, Wyatt Langford, and Matthew Prevesk, all hitting sharp line drives most of their ABs. It continues to be clear that Sully wants to keep his first 5 in the lineup as Jud, Sterlin, Rivera, Armstrong, and Langford. These 5 produced 7 runs today and were hard to keep off the bases. I'm sure this will be the norm throughout the preseason to challenge these 5 to work together and continue the run production. Guscette was solid behind the plate today for the Blue and looks to be the starter with his bat. Each catcher had an occasional ball get away from bad pitches with Lastres getting called out on at least one of them. Halter and Deric saw time at both SS and 3B for the Blue. I saw no errors by the infielders. In the outfield Langford did misplay a deep fly that he might have lost in the sun or got turned around. Either way @gator1977 ruled it a double since Prevesk hit it and Gabe thinks Robertson should play LF, putting Langford in the DH (maybe, so many options still).

Special Note...
    Their were 4 really good defensive plays made today, 2 by Jud Fabian running in making diving snags on 2 line drives, and 2 by Deric Fabian at third, one a slow roller in with runners on and 2 outs that retired the side with a strong throw to first, and the second a wicked snag on a line drive short hopper than skidded into his glove. He had it positioned well else any other third basemen would have watched it skid into LF. Even @gator1977 applauded that one. Strange that all four plays were by players named Fabian and both from Ocala. Who would have imagined that?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    As of now the starting lineup might look like this.
    1B - Kris Armstrong
    2B - Colby Halter
    SS - Josh Rivera (still not throwing)
    3B - Deric Fabian
    C - Mac Guscette
    LF - Wyatt Langford
    CF - Jud Fabian
    RF - Sterlin Thompson
    Weekend Starters - Barco, Coppola, Sproat or maybe Abner but I haven't seen him this spring

The batting order might look like this.
    4 - Jud Fabian - R
    26 - Sterlin Thompson - L
    24 - Josh Rivera - R
    34 - Kris Armstrong - S
    36 - Wyatt Langford - R
    43 - Matthew Prevesk (DH) - L
    9 - Mac Guscette - R
    5 - Colby Halter - L
    23 - Deric Fabian - R

Notes- Unsure how long until Rivera is throwing in practice. Halter could also bat 6th or 8th in the lineup but I have him in 8th since Sully seems to have Halter and Deric working together. To me the DH is wide open and will probably be a situation by situation decision for Sully. Prevesk continues to be one of the best freshman hitters along with Deric. Calilao continues to backup 1B but I think he needs to start in LF and let Langford DH. Twice now Sully has let Coppola start for the Blue against Barco with Sproat only in for relief. Is that a clear message that Coppola looks to be a starter, unknown for now. I'm really hoping to see Abner next time I get the chance to go. One player I'm wondering about is Corey Robinson. He showed good ability in the fall but has yet to see the field this spring when I was there. Might be out for illness. No sign of De Goti either but was reported out until next week. Pogue was seen today in the stadium charting pitches.

17. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Agree with all but wonder if Calilao with his experience, doesn’t get the start at DH. Two bats we have to have going early are Armstrong and Calilao. Last year their opportunities did not become consistent until later wit Calilao’s coming more later than Jack. Basically my feeling is we need solid years out of Jack and Calilao to meet our goals.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I realize you don’t get real points from just being tough but I like Mac Guscette. Him taking that 95+ fastball straight on his arm and stupidly wanting to continue through the pain was brilliant!!! Rooting for him to do really well this year.

Just seems like a good kid and love that toughness.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    The young pitchers now will face an SEC batting order in practice and will have a chance to either show or learn toughness and consistency. Coppola took a little beating and still played well. Neely has battled after sitting out the fall an needs to do better as we move into the season. Finnvold has shown good pitching and just needs more of it. I like Hartman a lot and hope 3-5 young guys come through.

Normally, I lean toward taking advantage of experience, but Gators have so much young hitting potential that Sully needs to reward kids with hot bats. Not that I expect it, but the squad is good enough that they could finish the season with different starters at every position.

20. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    Has Sully said Armstrong is starting at first? Seems like Callilao could play first and Armstrong DH especially if he is going to play Wyatt in LF. I am not sure why they don’t seem to like Callilao in the OF. I thought he played extremely well when they put him in right last season.

• Agree Agree x 2