Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gator Baseball 2022 Roster/Lineup/Batting Order

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Matherly87, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    By definition it's when a batter takes a full cut and swings thru the pitch barely making contact on the top of the ball sending the ball rolling slowly down the third or first base line thus causing the fielder to take 3 steps back until realizing the mistake the batter must have made and causing said fielder to stand watching the ball hoping it rolls foul. For the Gators on defense this usually means surely 1 if not 2 or more runs will then score later in the inning. Easier said than done. I used to do this quite often when coach used to ask me to hit fly balls to the outfielders before the game during practice and got quite good at it I don't mind saying.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  2. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Alright here are my notes from DAY NUMERO UNO. Good to see Gabe and Ethan out there today. Man was it ever good to hear the catcher's mitt echoing thru the park again. This will not be with many details because Gabe showed up and my pen stopped working (HA). Actually with a short staff both teams only had 7 hitters and the dugout made a few judgement calls on plays that changed some inning outcomes. Deric Fabian and Jorge De Goti were both no shows, thus out with illness. The Orange had many of the starters and the Blue had a few starters and some Grad Assts. Orange had Rivera at SS and Caglianone at 1B and neither were allowed to throw overhand. Therefore I'm just listing a few details on each player. Also Ethan or Gabe feel free to correct me since my eyesight isn't what it used to be and thanks for all the answers to my questions about who's on first.

Orange won 7-6 scoring 3 runs in the bottom of the 9th to come from behind. (5 innings)

Orange Lineup and Batting Order
    CF - Jud Fabian - 1 for 2 - w, w, pop out, single
    2B - Sterlin Thompson - 3 for 4 - DP, HR(415 to dead CF off the batter's eye), oppo HR, single
    SS - Josh Rivera - 1 for 4 - single, SO, SO, GO
    3B - Armstrong - 2 for 4 - GO, single, pop out, double to fence
    LF - Wyatt Langford - 1 for 2 - w, double to right ruled by dugout, SO, w
    C - Mac Guscette - 1 for 3 - GO, sac fly, single, GO
    RF - Matthew Prevesk - 0 for 3 - line out, FO, GO
    Caglianone at 1B did not bat and no DH

Blue Lineup and Batting Order
    SS - Colby Halter - 3 for 3 - HBP, single, single, triple to RF corner
    1B - Kenny Calilao - 2 for 4 - HR to left center, GO, line out, single
    C/3B - BT Riopelle - 2 for 4 - double, GO, HR to right, pop out
    3B/C - Rene Lastres - 0 for 4 - SO, SO, GO, SO with the hat trick
    OF - Mikey Robertson - 2 for 3 - single, single, GO
    OF - Ty Evans - 0 for 3 - GO, SO, GO
    LF - Tucker Talbott - 3 for 3 - single, single, single
    Grad Assts played at 2B and RF

Notes on batters......
    Clearly Thompson shined with 2 HR and a single. If you watch Ethan's twitter post on his first HR you can hear the reactions from Gabe and me. Let's just say Sproat and Hartman need to get some more movement on their fastballs. I was very impressed by Jud's approach at the plate on all 4 for his ABs. He was very patient and only swung at quality pitches. Yes that's right I said Jud was patient and only swung at quality pitches. Halter and Talbott both had 3 solid singles. Calilao's HR was off of Barco. Riopelle was both good at hitting and behind the plate. His HR to right looked like a fly ball but just kept carrying over the fence.

Notes on pitchers....
    Barco started for the Orange and gave up 3 runs in the fifth, ouch. That was on a HBP, HR, double, SO, single, GO, and a single when the inning was called. Sixth inning he only faced 4 batters giving up 1 single and then exited after 2. Purnell pitched the 7th giving up 3 hits but no runs scored. Neely pitched the last 2 innings giving up 3 runs including a HR in the 8th and a triple in the 9th.
    Coppola started for the Blue going walk, DP, single, GO, and an extra batter walk when the inning was called with no runs scored. Sproat pitched the 6th and 7th innings for the Blue giving up 3 runs from a HR in the 6th and a double and sac fly in the 7th. Hartman pitched the 8th, faced 4 batters and gave up a solo HR. In the 9th he had to leave the game after 2 pitches when something happened to his wrist. Ficarrotta came on but couldn't close it out giving up 3 runs facing 8 batters.
    With as many players out you would have thought today could have been an advantage for the pitchers but clearly they all struggled to some extent. There were plenty of extra base hits to go around and there really wasn't many errors to go around by the regulars other than the Grad Assts trying to stab a few for fun. So after one day it looks like this team has to score 6 or more runs each time out to have a chance at the win. Hopefully we can improve on that before the season gets here.

Other notes....
    I got there shortly after 3 pm and everyone was out working on bunts. Batters were rotating taking turns laying 1 down and each pitcher rotating in to field and either throw to third or to first (base runner was at second for the drill). Special note for John these hitters were actually holding their bats over the plate trying to make contact, not the full swing bunt variety. If still confused you might try attending practice every once in awhile. HA
    Seeing the Orange batting order made it fairly clear the lineup I posted on the previous page might be more accurate than even I imagined. Yes sports fans Jud Fabian appears to be our lead off hitter to start the year. Clearly Sully is looking at the top half of the order something like Jud, ST, Rivera, KA, and Langford. Fielders will clear up after Deric returns because without him 3 other players were potentially out of position (KA at 3rd, ST at 2nd, and KC at 1st). Guscette caught all 5 innings for the Orange so that says he has the lead for the starting catcher spot. I still believe Riopelle is a very close second in line and each will start depending on pitcher. Special shout out to Sully who looks like he put on another 10 pounds of muscle and leads this team in the weight room.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Halter, Thompson, Armstrong, Fabian, etc, the lineup will be just fine.

But boy do I agree. The pitching scares the pee out of me.

4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Greg—

For sure, a lot of question marks-Sproat being at the top of the list. Great velo but kite string straight apparently. We all know lack of movement for any pitcher’s pitches is not headed to the higher levels of success.

Strong wrist snap or pop is usually center stage with regards to movement, especially late movement. The long arm action generally produces more of the loose wrist action as opposed to the short arm action.

5. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Nice to see that with the bunts. Very concerned about Sproat and Barco. I feel like Sproat is going to have to be a middle guy or a closer until he gets more movement or develop some quality offspeed pitches.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Here today!!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    Saw the start of Saturday's practice before heading to basketball. The reports of Friday's practice being bad must have been accurate because Sully spent the first 15-20 minutes chewing arse. The pitchers may be rusty but Sully's arse chewing skills appear to be in mid season form.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Creative x 1
  8. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    I think I did the same as you. Stayed for 45 minutes and left.
    From what I saw in just a little bit of end of practice and scrimmage:

Josh Rivera looks ready to go. Only at bat I saw was An excellent AB against Manning in which resulted in a double down the right field line. Sully wasn’t extremely happy as felt like the ball should’ve been caught but pitcher playing right field. Nonetheless a deep drive and went with a tough 3-2 pitch. Tough catch for regular right fielder.

Jud- have to agree w Matherly as looks very calm. Granted Only one at that I saw but it was beautiful to see as he took a Manning pitch right back up the middle for a nice hit. Didn’t try to do too much. Stole 2nd and was disruptive to the pitcher. Wondering if we don’t see 15-20 steals this year. As we all know athleticism is off the charts.

Abner- First couple batters got hits and then he settled down. Has excellent stuff and will be counted on very early. Looks very calm and cool.

Manning- Off speed stuff like we know will set everything else up. I actually was very encouraged by what I saw. It took him a little while to get out of his first inning but as I mentioned earlier Sully thought one if not two of the balls hit too deep right field should’ve been caught an even said something about it. To me I’d like to see Timmy as our Saturday or Sunday guy until Pogue is healthy. Just not sure about Sproat. I say he is a pen guy but what do I know.

Sterlin Thompson- ball just comes off bat different. He’s my breakout player this year which is not a big surprise.

catchers- after getting to see the our two new guys throw I’d say this, Guscette is still our number 1 but BT Riopelle will catch, DH, and be in the line up. Kid will really help us.

Armstrong and Calilao- should have big years. Armstrong has matured/developed a ton but HAS to get At bats consistently. Could see a solid average and 15-20 homers.

Surprise player of year- Mikey Robertson- has grown quite a bit the last two years and is one of the fastest guys we’ve had in years. Kid will Absolutely bother pitchers and stress infielders as if they don’t get rid of the ball quickly he will beat out a ton of infield grounders. He also gives us something we’ve really not had in a while and someone that can bunt at a high-level.

Physically very impressed as you can see some big gains for guys. Looks like workout program is working. Also cool to see Sully’s intensity early. Very vocal with pitchers in a positive manner But when he thought a ball should’ve been caught in right field he made it known to his coaches to have the right fielder in the right place.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Read a write-up on the SWAC today. Did you all know that Alex Toral transferred to the SWAC? Obviously we all knew about Carrion. I still like his tool set and style but Rivera is more talented. Just hope he puts it all together this year.

10. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Great info Shane and glad to have another eye on the practice. I'll be watching Jud on Tuesday and hoping that patience continues. Exactly right on ST and the breakout player. I still haven't seen Guscette hitting like he did the first half of last season. I think its important for his playing time he gets off to a fast start again this year or Riopelle might overtake his number one position. I agree with everyone else that Calilao needs to be on the field but Sully has so many other players someone is going to be sitting. Even the DH will be competitive which is a great problem to have. Same issue with Robertson, if you put him in the outfield then who do you take out? I would like to see him leading off as well but I just don't see Sully putting a freshman in the leadoff to start the season. I'm thinking the week before the season starts I'll update the lineup to who I think Sully will start and a lineup I hope we see.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Maybe that's why Sully bulked up some to help get his point across. HA

12. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I must say I'm a bit surprised by some of these MLB preseason draft rankings. These are SEC players only so the rankings are inflated. They expect Barco to be the 4th highest drafted in the SEC and even Sproat 17th highest.

Select Gators Honored in D1Baseball's SEC Season Preview - Florida Gators
    GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Seven Gators have been ranked among the Southeastern Conference's top-100 prospects for the 2022 MLB Draft, as announced by D1Baseball in the publication's SEC Season Preview on Friday. D1Baseball also tabbed six Florida players as top prospects for the 2023 Draft and another eight Gators as top-50 impact freshmen.

2022 MLB Draft
    LHP Hunter Barco – No. 4
    OF Jud Fabian – No. 15
    RHP Brandon Sproat – No. 17
    OF Sterlin Thompson – No. 18
    INF Colby Halter – No. 22
    INF Josh Rivera – No. 27
    RHP Nick Pogue – No. 50

2023 MLB Draft
    LHP Philip Abner – No. 11
    OF Michael Robertson – No. 24
    INF Deric Fabian – No. 25
    LHP Timmy Manning – No. 34
    C Mac Guscette – No. 36
    C/1B/OF Wyatt Langford – No. 38

13. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    I’m surprised also by Sproat and Halter. I thought Thompson was just a sophomore?
    Langford surprising too.

14. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Agree with everything you said. Competition for spots will be intense.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Draft eligible soph...the new norm

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Wyatt Langford being Wyatt Langford hitting the ball hard...

• Like Like x 1
  17. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    Stopped in on today's scrimmage on my ride-- watched first two innings with Jameson pitching for Blue and Slater for Orange.... Not encouraging. By my count- Jameson walked 6 in two innings and must have thrown over 50 pitches- gave up 4 runs before second inning was called. He was constantly behind in the count. Big hit was a bases loaded rope by Langford to right center gap. Jameson pretty highly rated by Perfect Game. Hey- it's early yet. Slater was ok. Deric Fabian back at 3rd for Orange and Lastres behind the plate for Orange. Orange top of lineup remains-- Jud, Thompson, Rivera, Armstrong, Langford.
    Guscette had the unenviable task of catching for Blue and had to sprawl/crawl to catch a few of Jameson's errant pitches in the dirt. Plus he is slow to the plate and gave up a few stolen bases . Sully was patient.

• Informative Informative x 3
  18. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Thanks. So now all true sophomores are eligible for the draft? I guess I missed that, but thank you again

19. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Thanks Matherly!! That was beautiful!! Never got more than about 10 to 12 feet in the air and just a flat out seed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    No, but so many kids get held back in grade school that a lot of them are old enough to be drafted as sophomore

• Agree Agree x 1