Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(SB) Game Thread: Florida vs. South Alabama - Sat. 5/18 @ 1 pm - ESPN+

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by ocalaman, May 17, 2024.

1. xenythx

xenythx GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    No offense to the competition, but this team is in a completely different league (well literally and figuratively) than anyone else in our regional, especially offensively.

We could play this regional 100 times and I doubt any of these three teams could score enough on us to beat us twice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Well, yes, but a huge mistake by the center fielder diving for that ball. I'll take it anyway we can get it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Agreed. At the time I was wondering how it would be scored.

After it got by CF, I was looking more at the base paths and figuring where the play would be, so I didn't really pay much attention to RF / LF. Did they make any effort to move to back up CF when the ball was in the air? If not, half an error to them as well.

4. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    I do not think they did.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. ufjaz

ufjaz All American

Jan 3, 2010
    Sahuarita AZ
    It looked to me that Sklar missed 3rd base on her insider. Just sayin'.

6. ufjaz

ufjaz All American

Jan 3, 2010
    Sahuarita AZ
    I think Walsh has 3 hits in the last 8 or 9 games - or something like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Blasphemy!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    I don't think so. For some reason I really noticed it because it was close but I thought she scraped the bag rather than pushing off of it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    I was noting how she had used everything in the tank about halfway down the third base line and was noticeably slowing. Caused me concern!

Granted there might be an asterisk by the "no error," but it was still just awesome to witness.

10. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    The dive was a bad decision and definitely what allowed Skylar to round the bases, but that’s never going to be called an error. Maybe warrants an “advanced on the dive” ruling like the “advanced on the throw” ruling you get sometimes, but I don’t believe that’s a thing. :)

11. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    I know almost nothing about scoring.

Let's say that the dive was a bad decision, but not an error.

Let's say that if either RF or LF had stopped picking dandelions and backed up the play, then Skyler would have been held for a double.

Can you get an error when the ball is not hit to your area, but you should have backed up a teammate "just in case?"

12. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Legend

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    No

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Not too sure about "getting a double". It was a hard hit sinking liner that even if backed up quickly the ball would have gotten to the fence and with wallace's speed most likely would have been a triple. JMO.

And yea no error just some chewing out by the coach for lack of hustle.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    No, and the ball was hit to dead center. Both the lf and rf were sprinting towards the ball. Lf was a little slow to react, but rf was moving off the bat. The rf is the one who got to it first and got it in. That’s why the dive is a poor decision, because you have no backup. Same goes for rf or lf diving at a fair ball on the line. If you miss it, it’s going to be an inside the park’r or a triple. You’re never going to be given an error for a play you’re not expected to make. I could see some other type of ruling like I noted above being applied to the extra bases, but that still wouldn’t qualify as an error.

15. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    If she doesn’t dive and waits to catch the ball on the bounce, it’s probably a single (maybe a double with Skylar’s aggressiveness and speed). Still never gonna be get hit with an error for trying, even though trying is an obvious mistake in that situation. Once that ball is past the cf’r, it’s definitely going to be more than a double for almost every girl on our team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Unfortunately, I don't have ESPN+ so didn't see the play. So I prefer imagining in my head that Skylar blasted the ball that the centerfielder dove for, missed and by the time any outfielder got to the ball and got it back to the infield, she had jetted around the bases and slid home with a clear-cut inside the park home run.

Last edited: May 19, 2024
  17. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    There’s a poor video from behind home plate on youtube, but yes, that is what happened. Pretty clear cut. No rule I’m aware of to take it away from her. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an error given for the outfielder diving and missing in that situation either.

Almost all inside the park hr’s happen because someone misplayed a ball and didn’t have backup close by. You’re just never gonna see an error awarded unless the ball is fielded and bungled. Giving an error in this situation would be somewhat kin to giving the 3b an error for a ball hit down the line, while he/she was positioned in the shift. Poor position and poor angles will never be awarded an error. Just part of the game.

Last edited: May 19, 2024