Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gaetz vs. McCarthy … Gaetz says he’ll try to oust McCarthy this week

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WarDamnGator, Oct 1, 2023.

1. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Well, folks in the Sunshine State could do their part by voting his sorry ass out of office. But why do I think that the folks in his district (wherever it is, I don't want to know) just love Matt Gaetz?

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    mrhansduck could explain better, but he is from a very established local political family there. As crazy as he is personally, hard to see him being voted out

3. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Because of the slim margin and because there is no Republican leader in the House who has shown the ability to keep them in line.

This isn't on Democrats. Whine about all of those things all you want. They're fine. Now, Democrats don't have to like it. McCarthy shouldn't expect Democrats to suddenly bail him out after all of that. But this is entirely on Matt Gaetz and the other 7 Republicans, not the impeachment inquiry or any committee assignment.

If Matt Gaetz would rather risk Democrats running the House than get ANYTHING done (he doesn't have the numbers for the things he's asking for), I think the voters should show him how much they agree and get his ass out of public office.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    don't forget the rest of it: blank off all the way past blank off ville, past blank off mountain, and then keep blanking off beyond that lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    If they still do after all this, I'd say they're misguided. They've been hoodwinked by a used car salesman who says all the right things, but is only good for whining about problems, not doing anything about them, and that's putting it favorably for Gaetz. If all he did was whine, he wouldn't be a liability to the Republican Party, yet here we are. It's the classic moron trying to do too much. The lazy moron won't kill you, the lazy smart guy won't kill you, and the ambitious smart guy won't kill you, but beware of the ambitious moron. That guy will do loads of damage and that's Matt Gaetz.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    Gaetz is in one of the reddest districts in the state and his family name is well respected. He isn't going anywhere

8. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    Oh, I thought you were going to say Donald Trump.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  9. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I probably would if I didn't feel like his Administration was pulling the strings during his Presidency (and will if he wins again), not unlike what we're seeing with Joe Biden.

When voting for President, you're not really voting for a person, you're voting for a team to run the Executive Branch. The guy on the ballot is just the front man for that team.

• Like Like x 1
  10. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    I can see Trump administration people like the Steves (Bannon and Miller) and even Sean Hannity pulling Trump's strings. I'm not sure who would be pulling Biden's other than the CIA. Biden continues to defy the JFK Assassination Records Act, just as Trump did before him, by letting the CIA keep secret whatever documents it doesn't want us to see. Of course I can understand any president having fear of the CIA. It even scared peace-loving Jimmy Carter into supporting the Mujahadeen (sp) in Afghanistan, after a fake assassination attempt staged in Los Angeles, the two suspects' alleged names being a combined play on "Lee Harvey Oswald." (They were eventually released and disappeared.) Carter straightened up and flew right, going along with what national security adviser Brezzzzinski (sp) then gleefully called "Russia's Vietnam."

11. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    if he didn't need the magats votes to get elected and maintain the office perhaps he doesn't make those promises. it takes grownups to make offers and negotiate compromises and both sides are entrenched in their other side bad mentality. it sux for the country.

I recently tried to broker a deal between two opposing development interests where they both would have won and, even though both parties agreed that the terms of the deal I proposed were appealing, both sides insisted that the other side make the first offer so they are now in court (arbitration first) over the issue rather than the two sides agree to sit down and talk without their attorneys who just told them what they wanted to hear knowing it would lead to a lawsuit and many billable hours.

the intransigent, adversarial nature present in our politics and even our society to some degree needs to change.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2023
  12. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Kevin McCarthy Says Matt Gaetz “Belongs in Jail,” Has Allegedly Committed “Worse” Crimes Than George Santos

Speaking to Politico about the divisiveness among Florida Republicans in Congress and the little power they hold, the former House Speaker said, “You have a cross section [of lawmakers]. You have [Rep. Matt] Gaetz, who belongs in jail, and you have serious members.” McCarthy did not specify what, exactly, Gaetz should be in jail for, but the odds are extremely high he was referencing the sexual misconduct business. In 2021, the Justice Department opened an investigation into Gaetz for allegedly having sex with an underage girl and traveling across state lines. Shortly thereafter, CNN reported that the congressman had shared images of naked women with colleagues on the House floor and allegedly claimed to have slept with the women in the photos. (Gaetz has denied allegations against him.) While the DOJ ended its investigation of Gaetz and did not charge him with any crimes, the House Ethics Committee revived its own investigation in July 2023.

In response to McCarthy’s jail remarks, Gaetz told Politico, “Tough words from a guy who sucker punches people in the back. The only assault I committed was against Kevin’s fragile ego.” (After McCarthy allegedly elbowed Representative Tim Burchett in the kidneys earlier this month, a claim McCarthy denies, Gaetz called for an Ethics Committee investigation into the ex-House Speaker.)

And the comment about belonging in jail wasn’t the only Gaetz-related shot McCarthy fired this week! Speaking to the Daily Mail about the reopened investigation into the Florida congressman, McCarthy said, “From what people have said and written about it, it seems even worse than [George] Santos.” Santos, of course, has been charged by federal prosecutors of stealing donors’ identities and spending campaign cash on himself. He has pleaded not guilty, but that may nevertheless lose him his seat in Congress.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    We tried to tell them about Gaetz but they didn't want to listen

14. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    He represents my home town - Pensacola. And yeah they love him. Sad state of affairs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    I recall a fairly recent poll suggesting folks here are tiring of his antics. Not sure if that was legit or not. Matt isn’t a moron. He's articulate and a good debater. Easy to overlook that a guy his age has actually been in politics for almost 15 years. He also jumped on the Trump train very early on which showed he was reading the political winds correctly. I’ve always heard he wants to be Governor.

His dad, Don, was President of the Florida Senate and now running for Senate seat left open by Doug Broxson. Don is more broadly respected than Matt IMO. They have money and are owed favors, and I don’t think anyone should underestimate them.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 2
  16. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Could be payback -

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Most likely it’s payback. Challenging a same party incumbent in the primary usually isn’t done without a lot of powerful backing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Oh I agree it is now. The conditional nature of my statement was referring to the electoral success of the challenge.