Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Gaetz vs. McCarthy … Gaetz says he’ll try to oust McCarthy this week

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WarDamnGator, Oct 1, 2023.

1. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    they know how dysfunctional maga is and expecting the Dems to save them. Maybe like McCartney should have done months ago they need to stand up to irrational maga

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    The 8 Republicans responsible need to be ousted. Nothing personal, and maybe they have the best intentions, though I have my doubts, but you can't have 8 Republicans running the show despite going against the rest of the Party. A message needs to be sent to folks like Gaetz that this will not be tolerated.

I agree with a lot of problems that Gaetz's group is identifying. Their proposed solution, however, does not make any sense. Oust Speaker McCarthy with no alternative so we can get some stuff that we won't get anyways because Democrats control the Senate and we don't have the numbers for the things we want in the House, either. It's virtue signaling with no substance at the expense of the Party that got them elected in the first place. Get them out. Electing a Democrat over Gaetz at this point would almost be a long-term win for Republicans because the message was sent.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Just read the thread. Where are the MAGA cult members with their excuses? Probably too embarrassed.

4. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    somewhere, Putin is smiling as his plan has yielded benefits beyond his wildest dreams

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Another illustration of the difference between the two parties.
    A quote from Pelosi
    Pelosi accuses interim House speaker of ordering her to give up office in Capitol

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    not clever, petty bs

McCarthy could have kept his leadership by shutting down the gubmnt. would the poster have preferred that so that M could say he kept his leadership intact?

At least give him credit for putting the country ahead of his leadership position, although I imagine he didn't think he would lose but at least he was willing to take the risk

but it is much more fun to create more meme's and jokes to ridicule the other team

and we wonder why we have the cluster we do

7. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    It's 8 Republicans, dude.

That's a "revolution?"

8. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    and the dems will have themselves to thank for his leadership should he win. gooooo team

9. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    if the dems would have cut a deal with M back when he would have been able to shut the magats down early by telling them to f off, he doesn't need them. instead, they did what they did hoping that the pubs would implode so they could score political points.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    It was McCarthy who said he wouldn’t negotiate with dems, don’t recall any dems saying they wouldn’t deal with McCarthy. Though they did say they couldn’t trust him. He needed to put something in writing, or in the rules package for them to vote for. He chose not to.

In either case, how many R’s voted to make Jeffries the D leader? The idea the dems have a role or blame in choosing the R’s leader seems bonkers to me.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. slocala

slocala VIP Member

Jan 11, 2009
    You speak for the vast majority of rational people wanting Congress to work together. However, it’s a game of “disarm”. No one even knows who fired the first shot anymore. It’s just bitterness and obstruction in the minority party. Kevin went on TV and blamed Dems. Instead, he could have talked to Hakeem and worked together. But Kevin is an extremist that got kicked by the even more extreme. Hakeem may also be extreme. Kevin is not the middle and likely Hakeem isn’t as well.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    It was also McCarthy who blamed the Dems for nearly instigating a government shutdown when the real culprits were his own caucus and he did do as recently as this past Sunday. If really he expected the Dems to help save his Speakership he shouldn't have a continue to promulgate a false narrative demonizing them.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. slocala

slocala VIP Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Agree sort of but disagree that he did anything. He kicked the can down the road for a few weeks. The next Speaker is going to take the Country to the brink and likely over the cliff.

14. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    BS - just a joke. Already gave him credit - Shut down averted (for now)

I just thought it was clever; pretty much share stuff if I do, without a larger point.

I do think the situation is serious and really not about the individuals, although I have no real sympathy for McCarthy. Done plenty to harm the country even before the rise of MAGA. But the issue is not personal; it's about the larger issue, as noted in my link. I don't know how this ends. There is no way to placate the mindset Gaetz speaks for. I do reject any attempt to argue that memes on Twitter or anything the Dems did or didn't do deserves the minutest of blame. I agree with Josh Marshall on that point

But that meme was clever. If that bothers you, so be it

Last edited: Oct 4, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  15. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Oddly, the Dems acting personal against McCarthy by siding with CooCoo Caucus and will ultimately get someone crazier than McCarthy. They should have all abstained.

Crazy crazy world

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    I’ll bet Epstein Islanders are hopping mad about this.

18. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    every member of the house votes on the leader. the my team vs your team is what has led us to no crossover votes but the majority party should be the one that has the leadership role.

19. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    the petty insulting shots from both sides bothers me and if the voters quit finding them humorous and giving them attention/clicks, perhaps they would stop. it is playground level stuff and it is sad that we have devolved into this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Eight Republicans who have a disproportionate share of the power within their party and even more so within the House as a whole.

If McCarthy really hoped for support from Democrats he wouldn't have given in to the extreme MAGA wing of his own party by establishing the phony committee to investigate "weaponization" of the government; nominating a clown like Jim Jordan to chair the Judiciary Committee or going forward with the impeachment inquiry absent a vote on the proposal from the House as a whole.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1