Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

FSU just threw an 82yd pick six…

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by UF76JMH, Sep 28, 2024.

1. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    yea i dont think Norvell is a bad coach at all, solid. They remind me of our 2017 squad. Got (some) talent to be a solid 7-9ish win team (easy schedule i might add) but NOTHING at QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    I thought he was a good coach at Memphis. They won last year with Travis' legs and catching a lot of breaks last year while having a pretty talented starting lineup. I brought up how Napier won the sun belt in a season with 5 one score wins. That could have gone the other way and where would he be? Norvell is more competent than Napier but I'm not sure Norvell isn't anything more than mid who got lucky with an experienced Travis coinciding with a down Clemson, Florida and Miami.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    There is no way to compare Norvell to Napier. Norvell had his decent seasons in the ACC-yeah the ACC. And a weak ACC at that.

Now his team sucks worse than ours, against lesser opponents.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Yeah I don't know how they compare at this level but he was solid at Memphis and had them at least as a tough out when you played them. His recruiting has sucked and he masked it with the portal and Travis.

Still though, fsu's defense has at least looked better than whatever it is we are putting on the field. Their offense is getting them blown out more than their defense at the moment.

5. stp_gator

stp_gator GC Legend

Nov 16, 2017
    St. Pete
    Captain James T. Kirk! Wonder if he’s looking to call some ball plays next season?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  6. gatorstrackman

gatorstrackman GC Legend

Nov 24, 2021
    Napier has wrecked the place while banking 30+ million dollars. He’s a disaster.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    He is 100% accurate about UF relationships being at an all time low post DM among fla HS connections.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm not sure that's the comparison you think. Panic firing of Taggert -> panic hiring of mid-league Mike, while still paying Jimbo.

Panic fires lead to panic hires. Get a winner lined up first. My $0.02. We've been on the turnstile for so, so long.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  9. workemsillyg8rs

workemsillyg8rs All American

Sep 14, 2024
    100% this. When you are desperate, you have no leverage. We will have to over pay for our next coach. Again!

10. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Its an over-rated topic now. Recruiting is ~ 90.1% salary now, the other 9.9% is the rest of the stuff that used to matter.

Even if it was still important, I've read this same statement after every coach that left UF since Zook (even Meyer o_O)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    Having read how nice how about operating in the environment where the coaches refuse to interact at clinics bc you are beneath their status?

Lack of access bc UF staffs choose to look down at you is a real situation. Urban would come around yearly and sit and talk his staff also made themselves available during clinics Mullen didnt have the same foresight they preferred to drink at a table by themselves

12. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    some coaches at the high school level get along with some coaches at the college and some don’t. Some also get along with some but not all and different coaches get along with different coaches.

I have several former Florida high school head coaches as close friends and met a few others. All coaches in palm beach county at the time Urban was our head coach. They could not stand him. They disliked him because during the clinics he continually dropped f bomb after f bomb non stop, amongst other words not meant for print. They found it completely over the top and not necessary for the audience (coaches and parents). I wouldn’t care about it but it goes to show that while some high school coaches were cool with urban, others disliked him. Same to every head coach we’ve had.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    A little off topic spike but my original post was to share that access to schools and kids is still very important to make contact, much greater than the 10% Crusher posited.

Sharing the fact that UM saw the importance of the conduit wasn’t meant and didnt include any comment on how he comported himself when visiting, just that he and his staff initiated contact. DM and staff felt it was a chore to develop relationships and werent engaged in the process.

Lastly, statewide clinics hosted by FACA are closed to members only and not open to parents without a membership. There is no doubt that UM is high strung and tone deaf at times wrt his audience. Lastly, the f-word is used as a multi-purpose word with impunity among our neighbors from the north.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I believe relationships and recruit expectations matter. We saw last cycle that players who wanted to be Gators had second thoughts and my recollection is they lost confidence that they would be playing for a good staff. I have no doubt there was bidding, and we had to come real close or beat other offers. Thankful we had relationships and brand loyalty(?). As long as their isn't a HS/College draft, coaches will be out trying to sell and convince. So relationships and effort still seem to matter.

• Like Like x 1
  15. gatorPUNX

gatorPUNX GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I’m not ready to believe this yet Crusher. Without strong relationships in FL high schools, the only viable alternative for a recruiting base is the portal - and we’re seeing how that’s working for the clowns.

We gotta be willing to spend money, but the kids gotta be willing to listen and seriously consider us, especially if we aren’t offering more $$ than anyone else, which would be stupid.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    They do matter. They just fall into the 9.9% category of what matters other than the compensation package offered.

18. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    HS recruits are getting generously compensated too. I didn’t say relationships didn’t matter. I said the compensation package matters the most..,.by a factor of 10 in my estimation. I’m sure the relationship can be a minor factor given similarities in all other factors

19. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I think the relationship is what gets you in the door. Their coaches can be influential too, especially if they don’t like you. And as you say, “given similarities in all other factors”. Agree that if we’re not competitive with the NIL the relationship alone won’t be enough

20. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Is 9.9% your estimation?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1