Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Former Sen. Ben Sasse Takes Office as UF President and now announces he is retiring

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by OklahomaGator, Feb 6, 2023.

1. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    It’s a good start. We need more conservatives at the top. Pronoun police, be scared….be very scared.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    I did say to those on the outside…

3. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    Different place in 21st century

4. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    OK, if it is even POSSIBLE for you, try to ignore politics for a minute. I'm not even sure if half of these people are democrats or republicans.

The bigger issue is that from a leadership perspective, the university has NO LEADERSHIP. Sasse has not provided any plan or direction, and the people providing plans and direction are all leaving. WTH are people supposed to do at work? I know you don't get it, but this is a HUGE institution that has institutional, state, federal policies to keep up with, reporting to conduct, big decisions to make - who the hell is doing that right now? Lol. I can tell you from personal experience - the answer right now, no one knows what the hell to do. Just one foot in front of the other. That is NOT how you run a multi billion dollar institution.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    That'll make the people who think UF is "too smart" happy.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Sure would have been nice if we hired somebody who had experience doing this sort of job instead of a Republican politician. But then again, with the awfulness of our state government, there would likely be a lot of people leaving no matter what.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    I do appreciate your info coming from the inside. Thank you very much for sharing your opinions and experiences.
    I do not know what will happen without some of the old guard leadership. But my gut tells me it will all work out with or without Sasse.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    Believe me when I say, I really really really hope you are right.
    But the way he is handling things so far, not saying a damn word barely at all, does not fill one with confidence

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    IDK - the BOT and BOG are almost all conservatives and we have been fine for a while - and Sasse will hardly be the first republican president. It's his lack of experience that concerns me more than anything - and clearly his weird ideas about "leadership" that we are seeing first hand.

• Like Like x 1
  10. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Okay, but we haven't seen the sort of sustained attacks on higher-education professionals that we've seen over the past few years. And there's no reason to think that DeSantis and his merry band of turds will relent in the future.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Anecdotally, my son says if you're a STEM major at UF, you don't see much of that woke/pronoun craziness, so there is some hope. :emoji_grinning:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Msgreentea

Msgreentea GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I do wonder if Sasse is having buyers remorse. Becoming the President of a huge institution with a conservative leaning board and a less conservative faculty might have seemed like a powerful position to a Republican tired of Trumpism. But he traded Trumpettes for a board full of DisSantinites. In the Senate no one could truly tell him what to do. In Florida , he is just one more Toadie - who can/will be fired at will if he annoys the gov

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I would not be surprised if you are correct

14. snatchmagnet

snatchmagnet Bring On The Bacon Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Parts Unknown
    You sure about that? I know for a fact that Auburn doesn’t do that. Was just there a few months ago.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2023
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2020
    So much time and energy is wasted on this “pronoun thang”. If you are normal , there’s no need to announce “he/him” for a male or “she/her” for a female. The preferred pronouns should only be announced for someone who is not following “traditional pronouncing”. Plus, the individual announcing their non-standard preferred pronoun should offer an explanation as to why they need others to use non-standard pronouns. It’s the least they could do when requesting a special consideration from others.

16. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    The firings begin.

17. obone1

obone1 Junior

Apr 3, 2007

Not scared, just disgusted by the idiocy, racism, misogyny, and bigotry! Meatball Ron is trying to outdo Trump and quickly turning the state into a red cesspool.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    LOL!

Your daughter could have entered her safe place. But your hatred for the best Governor in the country probably talked her out of it…

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  19. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Seems like you are willing to burn the whole place down to get rid of pronouns.

I find the whole notion of announcing pronouns ridiculous, because 1% of the population is having gender confusion issues, but I’m it going to set the world on fire about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    Why do you say that? I want to burn it all down?