Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(SB) For What It Is Worth

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by scrappygator, Jun 5, 2022.

1. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Colorado
    That's like saying I wish Walton would talk to me about how difficult it is to get a tree to fall upslope when you've got a powerline on one side and a dense patch of lodgepoles on the other. We all have our jobs. Keeping the softball team at a high level is his.

2. notexgator

notexgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Check our BA against SEC teams. Also check our SO's, LOB, and runners left in scoring position with less than 2 outs in the SEC. That is what counts. Big deal hitting against low level D1 teams. If you noticed all of those teams with giant stats got killed in the regionals. I missed 2 home games and the 3 of us missed only 3 away game series so we saw it up close and personal. We have also seen a continued decline in HR's to where we are dead last, by a lot. Particulary in runs scored from HR's. BA is nice but it usually takes at least 3 hits in an inning to score with zero power in the line up. Our leader had 7. The catcher for Ms State hit almost as many as our entire team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Your analogy has absolutely nothing to do with running an elite softball program at the highest level but good try.

4. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Why does Pal keep you from bringing in one or more of those other players?
    Seems like a perfect Cheyenne replacement to me....just does more things (admittedly at a lower comp level)

5. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    "Keeping the softball team at a high level"......as they are returning from the CWS I am again reminded of the spoiled nature of our fans

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. tggator07

tggator07 Junior

Apr 26, 2022
    I don’t believe our fan base is unappreciative at all. In fact real fans support our players having every advantage available to them. I don’t expect a National Title every year, but I do expect to look like we are competitive with this level. What Gasso has built in OU is beyond explanation. 6 HR’s with solid batting through the entire lineup and 16-1 shellacking of the next best competitor is just mind boggling. I’m not saying we have to be able to beat what may be the best team in NCAA softball ever, but we were shut out twice by the next level. As for statistics, a previous poster covered this nicely. I’ll just ask why aren’t we playing in Clearwater against the top teams? If you want to be the best you’ve got to play the best. We were fortunate to have the path of least resistance through Regionals and WCWS, and it was fun watching CTW manage this team as far as possible. We have some solid players coming and I can only hope we have a quality staff ready to develop them through their careers at UF.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Colorado
    I'll explain it to you.

Coaching softball is his job. Jobs have challenges.

We're not obligated to care or worry about the challenges of someone else's job. Those challenges are, to quote Don Draper, what the money is for.

I didn't say he's doing a bad job at keeping UF ay a high standard. What I said was keeping UF at a high standard is his job. It's not a miraculous accomplishment or some sort of fabulous gift to the fan base. It's doing what he's paid to do.

8. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Colorado
    I didn't say he wasn't doing that. What I said was keeping UF softball among the highest levels is what he's paid to do.

• Like Like x 1
  9. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't have easy access to all of those stats, but I see your point regarding SEC production. Here are a couple of stats that have gone the wrong direction:

in 2018, BB = 118, K = 118. In 2022, BB = 67, K = 133.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

10. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    "Fortunate to have the path of least resistance"? We went to the #3 seed, a team with great pitching all season long. The only break I saw was in game 1 at CWS.
    UF strength of schedule is fine even without Clearwater. Heck, UF played 18 games vs the teams in that tourney anyway. I tend to prefer the West Coast preseason trip, better for recruiting exposure as well. I would think Covid travel concerns may have impacted that usual trip, will be interesting to see what they do preseason next year. The Clearwater field is already announced and UF not in it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. sandman70

sandman70 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    CTW
    Coach Walton has stated that the Gators will not play in the Clearwater tournament. He doesn’t like the weather and conditions there that time of year and the potential risk of injury to his team. I have heard though that the Gators will be making the trek to California next February to play in a tournament there.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

I don't know, but it is possible that some of these tourneys are scheduled in advance. I have attended the one at USF many times and our games with Michigan have been classic. Perhaps, we are committed.

13. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    There you go.....great info

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    seems to me todays game is all about pitching and power. if you dont have either, and in reality pitching wise this year we did not, well, you are in trouble.small ball only gets you so far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. tggator07

tggator07 Junior

Apr 26, 2022
    I actually love small ball when it’s a competitive decision, as opposed to your only choice due to lack of power. The defense will simply clamp down and force you to play to your weakness.