Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Food for thought while the sky is falling

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by maxgator, Nov 26, 2023.

1. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    1.5 years

2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

They also need to pay more for better position coaches. I read that comparative pay list of position coaches in TOS and we're near the bottom.

Some people think we need to reduce the number of the "army" but that pay and Napier's salary is nowhere near the top coaches and their cumulative staff pay. Not saying he needs a raise, but our coaching staff is near the bottom rung compared to other SEC coaching staffs...

IOW, we need to pay more the get the best position coaches out there, including a quality OC.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. bike1014

bike1014 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2010

The snap count reveals we are not that young. A lot on the "depth chart" don't play. And like I've said elsewhere, there are covid classification quirks....Banks for example is listed as a RS freshman, but he's 3 years removed from HS. During any other era in football history he's either a JR or RS Sophomore - in other words, not young.

The only 2 positions where we relied on freshmen are TE (because the top 3 TE's got hurt, not because we're "young" and have no choice) and Safety (Castell and Thornton are really good).

To be clear, we are FAR from old, but we're far from inexperienced too.

Florida’s snap count report vs FSU | GatorCountry.com

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. bperkins10

bperkins10 GC Legend

May 25, 2007
    Illinois
    Napier has been coaching Brown for two years now. He should know his strengths and weeknesses by now and should have had a better scheme than what we saw.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  5. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I’m more concerned with players than coaches. Great players make coaches look good. I’m not knocking coaches as they are an equal part but without the talent, there’s not much to go on.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    So you know that Brown has some attributes that weren’t being used?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That is backwards... Players don't teach themselves schemes, plays and fundamentals. Street ball is fun to watch, but give me a team with great coaching and street ball dies on the vine.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. bike1014

bike1014 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2010
    We dropped back to pass about 20 times last night.....6 sacks and 6+ QB hurries. Sao 60% of the snaps, the play was dead and buried.

Please explain what scheme YOU would have used that would have worked against this?

• Like Like x 2
  9. bperkins10

bperkins10 GC Legend

May 25, 2007
    Illinois
    Next years schedule.

Miami
    Samford
    UCF
    Georgia
    FSU
    Kentucky
    LSU
    Ole Miss
    Texas A&M
    Mississippi State
    Tennessee
    Texas

Where does anybody see 6 to 8 wins?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. HisDoc

HisDoc GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    More food for thought...if not Billy, who do we hire?

If aTm, with their bottomless pocketbook, is hiring Elko, I'd say we would get much less of a splash hire than that (which is, to say, no splash at all).

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. CadGator

CadGator All American

Nov 17, 2008
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    All of that is an issue but the stupid mental mistakes could still have been avoided if there was better coaching.

This game was lost cause of stupid sandlot crap.

These kids are so undisciplined it is glaring.

Need to see a lot more maturity next year and if we don't we have to point our fingers to the coaches.

Glad the season is over as I've said in another post I don't think I could handle watching another game.

Let's hope they get this stuff fixed!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The comparison remains though. I compared them to other teams and namely fsu. Just about every single player in their roster for us was a redshirt.

13. army_gator03

army_gator03 Junior

Oct 5, 2019
    Miami- a real toss up here. Both programs are stuck in the mud.
    Samford- W
    UCF- W (barring a complete breakdown of the game plan)
    Georgia- L
    FSU- L (probably)
    UK- the biggest wild card, especially if the rumors of Stoops to TAMU are true
    LSU- L
    Ole Miss- L (probably)
    TAMU- Toss up (depends on the coaching hire and how much they lose in a talent exodus vs how much they can’t get in the portal)
    MSU- W
    UT- depends on their next QB. Is he the real deal or a bust
    Texas- L (probably)

I'm going to say 5-7 by saying the toss ups are wins. +/- 1 win of course. This is also based on what we currently have with the class as it stands now. If Billy absolutely kills it in the portal then we could have a conversation about getting to 8 wins.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. drcgator

drcgator Junior

Nov 19, 2017
    Miami, Samford, UCF, FSU, Texas AM, and Miss State. I think we will have a shot at several others if Mertz comes back, we have a dedicated ST coach, an OC, and a new S&C coach (which I think is an absolute must). Of course it's all a crap shoot to see how the portal shakes out, but we played a bunch of teams with really good QBs this year and most of those guys are moving on.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    The game has changed. We have to change with it. In the current environment another team can come in and swoop away your best players as well as the ones you groomed by giving them quality playing time at your own detriment. Now it's ....play your best players and get the rest from the portal. Each year is going to be a battle to keep your roster together. Take your profits now.

• Winner Winner x 2
  16. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    If you churn your roster, it lasts forever. Look at the comments around here, who does everyone want to leave? Mostly upperclassmen that aren't contributing. Seen and heard people who want Lyons gone for the spitting incident. A solid contributor and upperclassman.

We are going to be young again next year unless Napier goes hero mode in the portal. The real question is when does the fanbase say, the youth is of BN's own design and is held to producing with them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. gatorwalrus

Sep 24, 2022
    If this recruiting class is what it is made out to be, there will be similar numbers of Tr Freshman contributors as there are this year. I can only name a handful of returning players that I don't think a Tr Freshman would be able to replace.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2023
  18. gbranton

gbranton GC Legend

Sep 3, 2023
    Huntsville, AL
    When he came in against Missouri we saw attributes. He threw on target passes and used his legs, but last night he was out there by himself. He got no help from ANYONE. Not his o-line, not the coaching staff, nobody, while playing against what looked like an NFL caliber d-line. I felt really bad for Max Brown last night, he was mis-utilized and unsupported, I hope it’s not the only chance he gets to show what he can do.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    i said this before and got grilled

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. gatorwalrus

Sep 24, 2022
    Honest question: Given what we have seen as far as development and utilization, would you be confident in the current staff to take your big check and use it correctly on the OL? I don't, but others may disagree.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1