Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Food for thought while the sky is falling

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by maxgator, Nov 26, 2023.

1. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Fixing the roster is also Billy’s job. If he sees that his team will be lacking in upperclassmen starters, go out and get some. That’s what FSU did and they are currently undefeated. No more excuses for Billy. He’s a grown man now.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Yesterday

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We had the talent to win 8 games this year and we're adding a ridiculously talented 2024 class... All that missing is better position coaches and a hand full of transfers to bolster our talent and depth.

So we play Miami and UCF at home next year... We play them in The Swamp. and the rest of the teams are business as usual.

We also play Kentucky, A&M, LSU and Ole Miss ALL AT HOME.

I see many winnable home game... with better position coaching, especially on the defense.

Stick that rainbow where the sun don't shine...

Lol... 3 of these five rainbow warriors have previously been "IGNORED" BY ME... figures. LMFAO!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2023
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 6
  4. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    That and let's not kid ourselves and pretend we haven't been screaming to "play the younger guys and take our lumps now" over the past 3 coaching regimes. So many times we would see " play the freshman , other teams do it, at worst we get them experience for the next year" guess it just sucks once you realize those "lumps" are losses. But imo we will be better next year for it .

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. gator_n_sc

Oct 8, 2013
    Odom hasn't seen the field since Sept 30th and if you go back the 1st few games he played most on this board were screaming to get him out of there. You really think he is a loss? big enough loss to hold it up and say "look what's already happening now?"

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    True freshman as depth if in the two deep is still young. Our corners will be younger but our safeties will be a year older. Lb, Shemar will be older but who will be playing the other spot. Our receivers should be fine along with the rest of the offer but who will the line be? D line should be fine.

7. Kirby

Kirby GC Legend

Sep 14, 2009
    Rocket City
    He was slow as molasses running his routes. He did not instill fear in the defenses regarding pass catching. His best attribute was his blocking and we could have used it from time to time. I agree it is not a big loss

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  8. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    No, not on the line... they will be recruited but only the Transfer Portal types will add to next year's depth. Those players and the ones that we injured and the ones that didn't play much for one reason or another.

But I think we get the players we need, and some get fully healthy. But we have to add to the number of available SEC ready O-lineman on our team. I don't know how many that is, but 15 SEC quality O-lineman would be fantastic, but I think we'll end up with less. However, If I were Napier, I'd do what I can in the portal to get up to 15 of them...

And I'd get one more portal QB in the portal as well as one more QB in the 2024 class.. How many position of need did we end up thin in? Show that depth for next year with more quality depth.

9. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Until we aren't young seems like the accepted answer.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I’m certain that’s the plan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    He can try, the kids can go where they choose. Let’s just hope he’s holding the biggest check or he can forget getting the top tackles.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    Yep, "scared money don't make money." We need to practice what we preach.

• Like Like x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  13. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    For the coach, it’s two straight losing seasons.

For the fans, it’s three straight losing seasons.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

I hope that Billy can convey to the team how the little things make a difference. Mistakes, conservative play when you are 5-6, and then forced risky play when your backs are to the wall are prescriptions to lose.

Fundamentals have not been taught well at Florida for YEARS. The defense has played horribly for years because they do not take care of fundamentals. We never seem to make the first possible tackle. A simple policy of giving perks to defensive players who do that (fewer repetitions, fewer laps, extended curfew, a day off form practice, etc. could serve as motivation for players to stop routinely allowing offensive players to beat them on the initial tackle attempt.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    That’s up to the big boosters. They overspend or they don’t. Nothing anyone can do about how they decide to spend

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  16. paindoc

paindoc Freshman

Sep 28, 2018
    Spot on !! Best assessment I have read in a long time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. gator_n_sc

Oct 8, 2013
    Norvell did that because his HS recruiting at the time was doing terrible. As you see he didn't have it fixed by year two either. In fact their fan base were calling him taggert 2.0 at one point. I also believe Norvell will feel the repercussions of filling his 2 deep with upperclassmen/exiting players before his cupboard was restocked. He will have as many question marks on his team as we will next year.

• Agree Agree x 5
  18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    He doesn’t have what the really good teams have for certain. They restock from kids that have been in the system for multiple seasons.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. gator_n_sc

Oct 8, 2013
    Max didn't have time to pass really, our oline was shit yesterday and max was a harassed all day. He had 15 rush attempts credited to him for an avg of 2.5 yards per, his inexperience got the best of him and when he did have time he didn't progress through his reads. If his 1st read was covered he tried for his RB in the flats. Etienne was tied with most receptions last night, but once they got hurt, who did he have? He also had bouts of tunnel vision like when he stood there looking right past the blitzing safety who came clean through the line right in front of max , and max just stood there and took a clobbering. Some how max didn't see him as he was looking for his receiver past him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I'll take it and raise you a CKRF and WBB Sweet 16.