Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Florida's Defense

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by RD_gator, Mar 22, 2024.

1. RD_gator

RD_gator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    Any suggestions?
    Florida gave up way too many points in the post
    Colorado 102-100 Florida (Mar 22, 2024) Final Score - ESPN
    [​IMG]

1. Learn how to press & be ready for the NCAAs.
    Anthony Grant's Dayton Flyers came back in their game after being down 10+ points.

2. Play a zone-trapping defense besides just Man-to-man.
    Switch up the defense to give different looks towards the opponent.

3. On Man defense, give up some space & keep your man in front of you; stop giving up lay-ups all game long.

???

Florida fought till the end but just could not come up with enough key defensive stops to get over the hurdle.

Florida had a great run to the SEC Tournament Finals.
    Thanks for the memories.

Todd Golden will have to go back to the drawing board and rebuild the team again. Thanks to all of the players who gave it their all this season.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  2. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Where?

3. goldenfan245

goldenfan245 Recruit

Mar 22, 2024
    Does someone have a technical reason for why our defense was not good? Is some of it athletic, or is it experience, or do some players not play hard enough?

While I feel the refs have been horrendous, it is statistically improbable that we just happen to get bad refs every game. I imagine the way we play defense contributes to the amount of fouls we get called for, but I do not understand basketball well enough to be sure.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rkb75

Rkb75 Senior

Sep 19, 2015
    Ticky tack fouls and getting Tyrese and Clayton in trouble turned us into ole defenses

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Coaching. Just not coached to play defense other than man, mostly. Go back and look at the 2014 team. The help defense and rotations and recovery and close outs on shooters were insane. All five guys playing as one instead of five guys playing like five separate guys. That has to be coached. But it is just his second year and players don't stick together long enough to play like that. Next year you might see it with possibly 7 of our top 9 guys back and hopefully a couple key additions.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    no rebuild required, just need 2 replacement parts and learn how to play D without fouling

• Like Like x 1
  7. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    If you score a lot of points you give up a lot, we need to get better at D but hopefully not at the expense of the offense, no returning to the days of slow it down 55-52 basketball.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. RD_gator

RD_gator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    Maybe have longer offensive possessions at times:
    like after building a lead or you haven't scored in a while - probe for a good ofensive possession rather than putting up a quick shot.

9. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007

Exactly. Tbe problem isn’t the number of points, it’s the efficiency. Colorado scored on every possession for nearly an hour

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Hopefully it’s an emphasis in the off-season just like rebounding was this year.

Their coach at halftime was basically saying the same thing as us “somebody stop somebody please!”. Golden said “if we score 45 in the 2nd half I like our chances”. Well, we scored FIFTY FIVE! lol. CO with their high offensive efficiency was probably one of the worst early matchups we could have drawn. Proud of the way the guys fought back, and I think part of the defensive woes was being a man down up front (although that only pertains to some of the easy buckets their big guy got). When you play fast you are naturally going to give up a lot, but I’m sure if they analyze the game film there are probably about 10 ole’ plays where the perimeter player just got totally blown bye and help just didn’t get there. I know the new rules basically don’t let you take charges but yeesh. Gotta at least slow them down.

11. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Credit Colorado for executing and hitting an abnormally high FT% and 3P%. Aside from that I think our defense was ok, but we didn’t turn it up to the required intensity to win until late. I think that Golden should develop a trapping defense that we switch to anytime we go down by 7-8 points. We possibly could have began the comeback about 5-6 minutes earlier. We just ran out of time. Gators had taken back the momentum late, but it was just too late.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    A lot can be attributed to not having Micah in there......IMHO........

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    @ApexNC are you just going to hit funny on everything or provide a meaningful response?

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Blocked see you later or actually I guess I won’t.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    LOL

Our guards looked like the Washington Generals with their on-ball defense. At one point I think the announcers said Colorado scored on 18 straight possessions. There is nothing "ok" about that defense. It was horrible.

The guys played hard and fought back. I love this team, but all year the weakness was stopping the ball. They were great at many things, but just didn't do that well.

BTW, don't let random anonymous Internet posters get under your skin so much, bruh.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. luvtruthg8r

luvtruthg8r Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Larry Shyatt is retired in Wyoming. Let me start by saying that his health may not be great, or he may simply love retirement. However, he may see Todd Golden the same way he saw a young Billy D....a charismatic young coach who needs one key element improved to get to the elite level, and the part of the game for which Todd Golden needs help happens to be the part of the game that is Larry Shyatt's specialty.

And he also may remember the very positive experience he had the last time he was in Gainesville. Last, he may just yearn to coach again, but he may not want to do so with the pressure of being a head coach. I can see him in a role that is similar to the one Paul Pasqualone played for Napier, but basketball staffs are quite small, so I see a much more active role for Shyatt were he to return to Gainesville.

I say we offer him 3 million for one good year as a defensive consultant to provide tutelage for the staff and the team. It would be a great investment that woud pay off for years. I bet his wife would not mind one last nice, warm Gainesville winter, as opposed to the one she is now experiencing in Wyoming. In fact, now may be a great time to call him, since the frigid temperatures and ice are still prevalent and have been affecting Wyoming for many months.

I know it's a 98% pipe dream...but I'd still try to hit that 2% jackpot! Can't hurt. It's just a phone call.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    1) Switch up the defense!!!!!!!

2) Our guards consistently get beat one-on-one against the elite level guards, which leads to all sorts of defensive breakdowns

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Larry Shyatt actually crossed my mind too.

19. VTGator

VTGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 17, 2007
    As great as our guards were offensively, they had significant defensive weaknesses. Clayton too often allowed fast guards to blow by him and ZP got bullied one on one by bigger and stronger guards.

I think part of it was Golden’s adjustment to our early struggles with 3 point defense. Our guards began to play tight defense which did prevent open threes for the most part, but made it much easier to drive to the hoop. Then it was either an easy basket or our young bigs fouled too much.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Our guards play good defense. Are we the 1989 Pistons? No, but they play good and fundamentally sound defense. They don’t foul or try to get away with stuff. They move their feet and get in good legal guarding position. What we lack sometimes is intensity and we blow assignments occasionally. Towards the end of the game, you saw a good aggressive trapping defense. I think going to it earlier would have been a good idea, but it’s also very energy consuming, so not easy to sustain for long periods of time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1