Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Florida welcome signs

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Jul 10, 2024.

1. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I just said campaigned. He says it every chance he can.

2. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I will also say this — ask your friends in the gay community in Florida what they think about the term, “Free State of Florida.”

Go to a college campus and ask women, who no longer have a say on their own body, what they think of the “Free State.”

Ask authors who have their books banned about what they think of the Free State of Florida.

Ask politically elected officials who speak out against DeSantis policies, only to find themselves fired, what they think of the “Free State of Florida.”

I can cite scores of more examples.

And, I appreciate that YOU like DeSantis and his MAGA policies, but surely you can appreciate the large number of people that loathe the restraints that his policies have placed in their lives. Certainly you can see how those people might feel the angst, anger and disgust seeing the DeSantis “woke-war” slogan plastered all over the highway.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  3. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 4
  4. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    How about this. You have yet to show me that this would not have been posted if DeSantis’s name was not in the picture. It is my opinion of you and your MO on this site. Could you really be upset about branding the state this way as all states typically put something on some of their signs? Sure. But it is my opinion you and the haters of DeSantis are whining over nothing.

Why is it petty to brand our state that way (take DeSantis out of it)?

5. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    No one is discriminating against gays in this state. We should be protecting the most innocent from being killed for convenience. We disagree those two issues have anything to do with being free. The latter certainly prohibits one from killing for convenience. But society typically wants to infringe on people killing another life.

6. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    Take DeSantis out of it? Let's walk thru it slowly. It's not about his name on the sign. It's about bragging that it's a free state, as opposed to other states. That's his claim, a purely political claim that is very easy to prove completely bogus.
    Yes, it's about DeSantis making a stupid and petty claim about Florida (and himself.)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I don’t see it that way. Florida is seen and viewed where the phrase fits. Outside a few who just can’t stand the idea and DeSantis. This is nothing but whining by a few.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Good grief. Cry me a “river” lol. You are proving my point. Do you really think someone living in another state is upset about this? LOL!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    Why are we concerned about what people in another state think about something happening in Florida? "Hey, we shouldn't talk about an issue in Florida because people in Wisconsin aren't upset about it!"
    Nope, can't fight that logic.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Come on river…why does Delaware get to claim “Endless Discoveries”?! You can find that in other states as well.

A89B8757-1E4E-4F0B-89A3-A20D4D9BBC6A.jpeg

Seriously. Why are we not upset with John Carney or take his name out of it the state of Delaware?

• Like Like x 1
  11. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    You are the one upset and now have basically acknowledged it is all about DeSantis. So it looks like I was right. You are just whining about DeSantis and the “idea” that our state stands for freedom.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I am not trying to debate who’s right or wrong. I’m suggesting that the phrase, “The Free State of Florida,” is entirely politically based and its phraseology is intentionally charged. It’s politics that have no place in signs plastered all over our highways.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2020
    Someone on this discussion has a profound case of DDS to go along with their TDS. Lol, triggered by a sign!!!

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    But the whole problem with your point is that the sign was designed to cause the reaction. It was a waste of money, amongst so many other things. Heck, I would have preferred that money would have been earmarked towards other things, like the Arts.

That said, through long sessions of thought, prayer, meditation and extensive yoga, I feel as if I might yet survive if the signs are not taken down.

• Like Like x 1
  15. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I’m not upset by it by any means. I just think it’s petty but pretty on point for DeSantis. No one except you is mentioning his name being on the sign. I didn’t even know the Governor’s name wasn’t previously on the sign until I looked it up due to your post. The article doesn’t even mention his name was added, just the line about “free state of”.

Edit: Actually I have to take that back. Florida had Governor names before DeSantis (at least some point up to Rick Scott and then they did away with it) which is probably another reason no one is mentioning his name as objectionable.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2024
  16. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Truth. I was curious about the name and googled some other state signs. Some (few) have it and others don't. I did notice that Rick Scott's name was on previous signs. Like you mentioned, the name is not at issue.

17. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Most states have the smaller signs with the Gov’s name on it. No big deal. Its the Free State part that is overtly political as it is something DeSantis said frequently during his failed campaign. The Delaware sign says Endless Discoveries and that is the official tourist slogan since 2015. Florida’s motto is The Sunshine State. If that is what the new signs said instead of a DeSantis slogan. No big deal.

Delaware's state motto has been "Liberty and Independence" since 1847. The state also adopted a tourist slogan in 2015, "Delaware: Endless Discoveries."Mar 5, 2023
    upload_2024-7-11_19-58-35.png
    USA TODAY - Breaking News and Latest News Today › news

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    We certainly disagree. Outside a few posters on too hot and some far leftists. No one would bat an eye.

The horror to brand a state as “free” or as Delaware did “endless discoveries”. I seriously have to question why the issue.

The real pettiness is from the few people upset. As like I said. The vast majority of people seeing the sign will not bat an eye!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala

It’s only political to those that hate DeSantis. I like it. Minus it might attract even more people. And we need to shut our border at this point (sarcasm but seriously we are growing faster than I would like). Really odd thing to be upset about.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    They should ad this pic to the sign.

Governor Ron Desantis”
    [​IMG]

The pics are from a few years back, he and his wife dressed in the same outfit. I forget the festival they were attending.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1