Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Florida vs Miami (as recent programs)

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by RD_gator, Jul 27, 2022.

1. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I can see that even with my orange and blue glasses on full power.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Nowadays.. not really.
    Get me paid , get me to the league. Singing we are the boys at the end of the third quarter really doesn’t mean much. It does to a lot of alumni maybe but players could care less

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia

Sadly, I am very much in agreement with wingtee, it's an open market right now, WIDE OPEN (lassiez - faire) capatalism at it's finest.

I don't blame lower income socio-economic households one bit, that house a 4 or 5 star kid(s), for capatalizing on an uncertain market with ill defined rules in the NIL realm of right now, its called "gettin while the gettin is good" !!!

The future will quickly bring more definition and control and will start driving firm nails into exactly who, where, why, and how much visa ve Federal, State, Local and Institutional laws, rules and regulations. They call it the lawyer defined "terms and conditions" and how the big buck guys and gals begin to recognize and define opportunity and of course exposure / financial vulnerability.

The old, my home, my school, my region, my state, old college try, is as dead as a doornail.

Tank Black - If ur alive and reading this.....you have my sympathies!

4. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Not anymore it doesn't...and I'm sure a big city like Miami has a great nightlife for impressionable, young, newly wealthy recruits to consider.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    They are thinking in the old paradigm where the excitement of playing big games in front of big stadiums full of rabid fans mattered. Its much more about how much can I get, and how fast can I get to the league than anything else and I think its orders of magnitude more important. Facilities are now not going to matter as much if a guy is getting the stacks he wants, only perhaps as a factor when offers are similar.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    If I hit the MM, I still wouldn't give a penny to NIL.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach

8. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    The Gothic halls and Vineclad walls just doesn’t do it anymore! I’m all about doing it the right way too ! So let’s go with this :
    Stanford
    Northwestern
    Duke
    Florida
    Vandy
    The Academies
    Virginia
    Illinois

The Football Academic Division

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I think the players really do love their school as they went through the process but not straight out of high school

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    The appreciation comes at the end of your college career. Especially when they see itas the end of playing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. RD_gator

RD_gator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    Add some more of these other schools and you will have a juggernaught,
    academic league that happens to play football and other sports as well.

Notre Dame(#19),
    UCLA(#20),
    Michigan(#23),
    Southern Cal
    (#27),
    Univ. of Florida(#28),
    North Carolina-Chapel Hill (#28),
    Georgia Tech(#38), <-- old SEC school!
    Texas(#38) has gothic halls/vineland-walls too, lol!
    Tulane(#42) <--ditto (ole SEC)
    Wisconsin (#42)
    Georgia(#48) <---- surprising, we can keep that FL-UG game in Jax going!
    The Ohio State U.(#49)
    FSU(#55), Miami(#55) <-- State of Florida rivalries!

Poach a few of these schools from the SEC, ACC, Big-Ten, Pac, Big12 & Independents and you could build a heck of a league!

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
  12. RD_gator

RD_gator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    In my opinion, paying some of these top high school recruits significant, up-front money before they have even proven themselves in college football and academically is ill advised and seems to be foolish.

It is supposed to be illegal, too, as defined by NCAA and/or state of Florida rules which is probably the reason why the Univ. of Florida is being cautious right now (until the rules are worked out in a couple of years or so) while other schools seem to be operating differently.

Now, you could promise them that if they have proven themselves first then they would be eligible for some future, lucrative Nil deals (whatever that will be) later in their careers.

I believe that as Florida continues to develop more of their current players already on the team and they become productive and contribute to the team, the Nil could be used to reward many of those players. Perhaps Nil could even be used to get another year (i.e, rsjunior or senior year) out of a star player rather than that player going of to try the NFL.
    =========================

Now, how many true freshmen burst on the scene and become all-league, all-Americans in their very first year? Only the very best of them that happened to be on teams that are willing to showcase their talents.

Some UF true-freshmen that became instant starters that come to mind are the following:
    RB Emmitt Smith (1987 - 1300+ rushing, ?3rd in Heisman),
    RB Neal Anderson (1982 - ?800+ yards rushing),
    RB Fred Taylor (1994 - ?800+ yards rushing),
    OT's Reggie Green(1992), Jason Odom (1992),
    QB Chris Leak (2003),
    (2007): OC Mike Pouncey,
    (2007): CB Joe Haden,

There are probably a few others: i.e,
    S: Matt Elam,
    CB: Teez Tabor,
    CB: Vernon Hargraves
    CB: CJ Henderson
    CB: Kair Elam

Notice that many of the recent, true-freshmen starters have been 5* cornerbacks/defensive backs and also have been 1st rounders!

To keep that (DBU) trend going, Florida will need to land CB Cormani McClain at some point this season!

13. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    16,642 student season ticket allotment. Still 70,000 plus tickets. I wonder why they don’t sell more student season tickets if they have demand? FSU gives them away to students for free each game

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I wonder that too. I had no idea that they kept so many single game tickets...

16. BanditGator

BanditGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I am all Gator. And live in and love Gainesville. However, you cannot compare the allure of Miami and all it has to offer in nightlife and ocean to Gainesville for an 18-21 year old. Ever.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia

I agree with everything you posted but the point of my comments were that NIL is unregulated and loosely defined - which ALL the coachs are acknowledging right now.

It's a mad house out there. Perhaps the best example is Miami and Mr. Ruiz, but who knows? UCF just signed Walker over UF and OSU. The stated reason? - The parents want to keep him closer to home. Uhhhh.....sure.........

As far as "It is supposed to be illegal, too, as defined by NCAA and/or state of Florida rules" This means nothing to me because the reason we are in this mess right now is unrelenting "cheating" and by BIG-NAME programs to the point the NCAA threw up their hands and just gave up. Sure, for public perception they would slap the occassional program here or there, but CHEATING became the standard.

Why do you think UF, FSU and Miami all LOST CONTROL of recruiting dominance in the state of Florida? This became a free market state for recruiting corruption by every program in the nation.

But again, as I stated, ultimately things will fall into a pattern of control..........NOT because of the NCAA or laws passed by the state or the Fed's ..........laws mean NOTHING unless they are enforced. What will control it is the willingess of big buck boosters to regulate themselves by the realities on the ground.

IMO.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Would it be possible to buy season tickets on the student side and sell them? Do they get a price break?

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. GatorGhost

GatorGhost GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    As I mentioned elsewhere, Miami wasn't trending until they won a public bidding war (JR) and got the reputation of outbidding anyone. They started this last cycle and even then had couldn't get everyone, until a big QB took the bait, plus the fact recruits right now don't care anymore if accused of going to a lesser school for money.
    At the same time, top recruits that raved about UF, the staff, and couldn't get enough of Gville suddenly had us finishing 2nd, saying we weren't playing the NIL game, etc.

There's no magic recruiting spell Cristobal learned (or BN forgot) in that time, it's 99% top bid, signed deal and cash advance, going against billionaires that know it's a losing investment. We're doing REALLY WELL with the guys in our price range that are also mature enough to trust they'll get their deal whenever the paper rules say they can.

I don't agree with the admins philosophy but at least I understand it and still support the staff.

At least our group should have better character overall considering their choices.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Have you seen the student sections at our stadium during games lately? That is why.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1