Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Florida Inflation Hotspot

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by 108, Jul 10, 2023.

1. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    There is a massive warehouse Kroger in Groveland right off the turnpike. I believe this is where the food is coming from.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    You like Kroger? You must be easily impressed, its a bottom tier grocery store. I missed Publix bad when that was my only option lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    How long has Citizens been around?

That’s way before Ron.

Curious how would you address the Homeowners insurance issue.
    Not being snarky, even though we don’t always agree you do have some keen insights at times.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    I’ve gotta say I’ve not had a good experience with Kroger better than Winn Dixie but not saying much. I like Publix for the fantastic customer service and their massive new store in South Tampa is impressive. That said I’d love to see Wegmans come to Florida (currently stuck in NC)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    From your linked article:

In Florida, the state’s growing population has been pushing up inflation — particularly via housing costs. It’s a trend that accelerated during the pandemic, when remote work gave some Americans the freedom to relocate, economists say.

“A lot of people are still coming to Florida because the economy is really strong, and many like the fact that we don’t have an income tax like in New York, for example,” said Amanda Phalin, an economist at the University of Florida. “And in places like Miami, we’re seeing a lot of real estate demand from non-Floridians or non-American investors — generally wealthy folks who want to have a nice home here.”

Florida’s population grew the most of any state from July 2021 to July 2022 because of domestic migration, according to the Census Bureau’s latest estimates. During that same period, Florida also had the fastest population growth by percentage, the first time it has notched that top spot since 1957.

I don’t think this article says what you want it to say.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Yep, I put Kroger right down there with WD. Not a fan, unless Walmart is the only other option.

• Like Like x 1
  7. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    So if one is inclined to believe DeSantis and his policies caused more economic growth and more people to move there, then it would also stand to reason that he / his policies contributed to inflation.

8. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's great... less poverty moving into Florida... We already have an perfect balance of "income" ratio residents.

9. SmootyGator

SmootyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 17, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    From what I remember, yes! It was about 17-18 years ago, but I remember liking Publix better, but still liked Kroger. My only other experience was Von's when spent a year out in California... That was like 20 years ago. I remember not liking that place too much, but I had no other options. I have not set foot in a Winn Dixie for my normal shopping in probably 25 years.

10. studegator

studegator GC Legend

Feb 24, 2008
    Here's why Florida is the state with the highest inflation rate
    The soaring housing prices for Floridian renters and homeowners – driven by waves of people moving to Florida – is putting the state at the top of the list for highest inflation rates in the country.

There are three main contributors keeping inflation high in Florida:
    • The number of people moving to the state
    • A spike in interest rates
    • An insurance crisis that has limited Floridians’ accessibility to affordable home and flood insurance.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I have been doing delivery from Kroger

12. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Don’t have one in either FL or NC where we split time.