Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Florida Department of Education rejects AP African American Studies course

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8tas, Jan 19, 2023.

1. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    It's not. They just have to treat religion neutrally.
    https://www.myfloridahouse.gov/File...ents/2010-11 Religion in Public Schools.3.pdf
    The Establishment Clause of the First Amendment of the United States Constitution prohibits
    government speech endorsing religion. The U.S. Supreme Court has repeatedly held that the First Amendment requires public school officials to be neutral in their treatment of religion, showing neither favoritism toward nor hostility against religious expression such as prayer.
    Therefore, teachers and other school personnel, as government officials, may not lead students in prayer, devotional readings from religious texts, or other religious practices. May public schools teach students about the Bible or religion?

Yes. Florida law authorizes public schools to offer a secular and objective study of the Bible and of religion. Thus, courses studying the Bible as literature or comparing religions are permissible; a course offered with the intent of indoctrinating students in the practices of a particular religion is impermissible.

DOE's 2010-11 Course Code Directory includes several high school level Humanities and Social Studies courses that address religious topics; for example, Introduction to the Bible I and II, Religious Studies, World Religions, Jewish History, Western Civilization.

2. luvtruthg8r

luvtruthg8r Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bull crap, yourself! It has been Euro-centric US history, irrespective of the subjects within the curriculum.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. luvtruthg8r

luvtruthg8r Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Which of course fundamentalists NEVER accept.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    What is your educational background that enables you to analyze and critique the curriculum?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Florida should reject regular AP history for teaching the Republican party is a political institution when it is actually a religious institution... that sometimes moonlights as a terrorist institution.

6. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Okay, and isn't DeSantis basically saying that you have to treat race neutrally?

If you have this Ibram X. Kendi approach to racism where everything is racism or anti-racism and discrimination in the name of equity is anti-racism, and you're teaching that at the high school level, can't a case be made that you're endorsing one form of racial discrimination while condemning another?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hey now, since the 90’s we’ve been giving those others a page of their own in most US history books. That proves we aren’t leaving them out. Checkmate libs!

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    DeSantis approved Florida Black history course.:

Section I: Why Black people hated Africa and couldn't wait to leave.
    Section II: Our new Black friends take their first cross-Atlantic cruise.
    Section III: Welcome to the USA, free room and board.
    Section IV: Practical sex education without even studying.
    Section V: Exciting new job opportunities await after complimentary training.
    Section V1: The gift of a brand new, even better religion.
    Section V!!: The War of Northern Aggression and the chaos it caused.
    Section VIII: Separate, but equal is inherently less confusing.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
  10. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    I begin with a singilar fact that Desantis and/or Trump groupies will always find a bizarre silver lining in all of their actions. But my post is directed to the real Americans that are silenced because our thoughts and ideals dont have the "extreme" tag.
    I am personally and rightfully so am shocked that any governor, much less one from Florida, would purposefully rule as a dictator. For those that think the fake moniker of "The Free State of Florida" is real let me bring you down a huge step. Keep in mind that its been a very long time since seeing major decisions placed on the ballot. You know, the important ones like...mmmmm womens rights, teaching of history, allowing sole Christian arrogance to filter books in schools, dictating drag shows differently than strip shows. You know...the things a dictator wouldnt want interference on.

We used to vote for issues but now not at all. I would like to be able to cast my vote on all of these subjects to include a governors much needed limits of authority. Florida is being ruled. Not led.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    1. No, he's not lol. His own lawyers admitted that a professor could not invite two speakers to debate the usefulness of affirmative action. They could invite a speaker to say affirmative action is wrong. But they couldn't invite the speaker to argue that affirmative action is right. This isn't about neutrality. It's about pushing his preferred ideology.
    2. When the Establishment Clause applies, you have dueling First Amendment rights, which creates issues that aren't present when only the Free Speech Clause applies.

K-12 teachers likely don't have First Amendment rights when engaging in instruction on the job. The bigger issue is the First Amendment rights of the students.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Somebody leaked part of it to a guy who works at Townhall:

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I believe he's saying Affirmative Action does not treat race with neutrality.

I agree for the most part. If they're acting as agents of the school and they're acting within that role, they generally don't have First Amendment rights in that capacity. However, things get dicey with what a teacher may choose to wear, like a cross, a yarlmulke, or a hijab. Wearing those things are and should be protected under the First Amendment which suggests they have SOME First Amendment rights acting in that capacity.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    Yeah and their are educators who want to teach both sides of the Holocaust.

• Off-topic Off-topic x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Neither does ending affirmative action. This isn't about "neutrality." It's about imposing one view on how to treat race in this country as the only acceptable one. That's not something government can or should do, no matter how much you try to justify it.

I'll restate what I said: "K-12 teachers likely don't have First Amendment rights when engaging in instruction on the job." You're describing a different issue, public employee dress.

16. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    That's the cynical way of looking at this which I tend to think you're adopting because you don't like Ron DeSantis or his views on race relations.

I mean, I agree with you on the outcome there, just not sure if we get there the same way. What they are wearing is a form of expression while engaging in instruction on the job. I don't know how courts have worked their way out of that one.

17. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    If believing that we should be able to openly debate racial justice issues without the government seeking to punish one side of the debate is "cynical," I'll wear that as a badge of honor.

Because it is a completely separate issue.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Several variables matter here in my opinion:
    1. College vs. High School
    2. Instructional vs. Extracurricular/Student-Run

• Like Like x 1
  19. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    [​IMG]