Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Flashing Icons

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by gatorfan5220, Oct 27, 2022.

1. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Got a new cell phone and am having a problem with icons, etc. Flashing on my screen. There are some right now.

How can I get this to stop?

2. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    Is this still an issue? I'd try restarting the phone first and see if that fixed it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Valdosta I tried restarting and it didn't help.
    How can I download a free virus program to erase all that?

4. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    What kind of phone do you have? At the moment, I would hold off on that download.

• Like Like x 1
  5. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta VIP Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Gallatin, TN
    If you're worried about a virus I'd simply back up your contacts and messages if you need to and factory reset the phone. That would likely take care of whatever is causing your icons to flicker. Or you can go and remove each application you have installed from newest to oldest and see if maybe one of them is causing issues. (Only apps you've downloaded, this is not necessary for native apps like Messages, phone etc. Just games and extra apps).

Definitely hold off on downloading anything until you've tried other avenues and if you post the name of an app you were going to try, at the very least Valdosta or myself can make sure it wont do more damage.

• Like Like x 1
  6. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It is not an Apple phone.

I traded in for this phone at a TMobile store. Only had to pay $50 for it.

Since then I've been having increasing software problems starting with the the flickering patterns described above to slowness; Google not responding; Getting 50 or so reminders telling me I need to run some clean up program.

I heard some blurb that companies load bad software hoping you'll buy a new more expensive one.

What's going on?

I'm a 72 year old geezer. I can't figure this all out.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
  7. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    IMO, the slowness and all the reminders is starting to sound like malware, commonly known as a virus.

I would take @gatorchamps0607 advice and "back up your contacts and messages if you need to and factory reset the phone." Judging by what you paid for it, I would assume it's an older, generic Android phone. If it's linked to a Google account, I'd use that to backup your contacts. Or if you don't have a lot of contacts, or are worried about losing them, the 'ole pen and paper backup as a failsafe would probably be a good idea. Then if the restore of the contacts doesn't work, you could always refer to the list you made and manually add them all back.

What are your thoughts, @gatorchamps0607 ?

8. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    How do I get rid of the malware?