Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Fixing Florida

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by doctorg8r, Mar 13, 2024.

1. doctorg8r

doctorg8r GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2018
    Coming in Billy said the rebuild was going to take time. Then NIL and the TP exploded and changed everything. So far, the problem for BN has been the OL and QB on offense; and the entire defense. I have a sense that may be different in 2024.
    I know some disagree, but I believe the problem has not been BN's playcalling, but poor execution and consistency by the offense on the field. The defense has been horrendous, but it was just as as bad with DM. And, I don't mean that as an excuse, but it is factual.
    What I would change to fix Florida--they need a scout who is better at player evaluation. Yes, they have been stellar at times, and they have brought pieces in that were a bust. Also, I continue to believe BN would be better off with an OC.
    We can argue the details or roast coaches, but I am much more interested in what is to come!
    We have all seen what a difference a QB makes on offense. But he also needs a supporting cast around him. Do we have that in 2024? I am guarded optimistic.
    So, GN, what is it that will fix Florida?

• Like Like x 3
  2. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I have a different view. I think Mullen wanted out of the college game, and when he didn’t get the call up to the big leagues the year after he finally beat Georgia, he just couldn’t get himself back in the mental mindset to coach the team. I think he burned out, which is my guess why he hasn’t returned to coaching.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    We are always reactive and never out in front when it comes to football. Great on the overall program but the golden goose always takes a conservative approach. Sometimes you have to grab the bull by the horns. Look at the teams that are winning.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Probably some truth there but he seemed frustrated to me and possibly because UF wasn’t all in and it wasn’t an even playing field. He was expected to do more with less.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2017
    Subjective.

6. eightiesgator

Oct 16, 2017
    Then why have the objective criteria at all? It should always have been by acclamation.

7. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Let me know, and Spurrier gets a lap dance at a bar. Florida thinks of themselves as classy.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Maybe he told the big boys to suck it on the way out the door. There’s a reason he’s not in and it’s not football. More like Pete Rose Barry Bonds type of situation. We have guesses as to what it may be but there’s something there and it’s not good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. eightiesgator

Oct 16, 2017
    Everyone thinks of their school as classy, but everyone has feet of clay. Whatever happened that barred him would have been leaked by now. If a two time MNC-winning coach is not inducted, then get rid of the coaching requirement. No fear, though; SOS gets in with his Heisman...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
  10. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Legend

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl
    I feel like you’re right about Mullen being burned out, ajoseph. In fact I agree with everything you posted. But I feel like a man of integrity would have sucked it up and finished the season after he was fired. Hell I worked two years at my job after I was burned out but, I gave it all I had. Didn’t burn any bridges. He chose to turn his back on the team. He was making 7.5 million dollars a year, (a tad more than I was making). Doubt if he agreed to pro rate season and offer a refund.

• Like Like x 4
  11. northgagator

northgagator GC Hall of Fame

Give me and yourself a break!

After those (Mullen's Swan Song) seasons, the Gator football program was a major train wreck. No one could of rebuilt a program like that in just two seasons. Napier had to start from scratch with a depleted defense and offense lines.

The barometer we need to look at now is this spring and fall football activities.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    The Indoor practice facility was completed while McElwain was coach. If you mean the Football facilities then your timeline is also off. The delay had nothing to do with Dan, the reason it was delayed was due to the decision to abandon the earlier site and build it on the site of McKeithan Field. To do that, they first had to build and relocate the Baseball facility. This decision was already made and underway before Dan even arrived at UF. There are plenty of reasons to dislike Mullen as coach. Slow movement on football facilities for over a decade isn't one of them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  13. eightiesgator

Oct 16, 2017
    Two years prior:

Galen Hall/Gary Darnell: 14-10
    Ron Zook: 15-10
    Dan Mullen: 14-11

And yes I know, Galen and Zooker were great recruiters, but Mullen's last two classes were ranked 7th and 10th. Our last three classes were ranked 18th, 13th and 15th.

Agree completely, and probably the first six games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator Moderator Premium Member VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    If Mullen knows how far behind the program is then he knows he was partly responsible for it

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Having no perspective could lean one to think that way.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    It’s no oversight, there has to be bad blood.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. northgagator

northgagator GC Hall of Fame

The problem with those last three Mullen signee classes is that 23 of those signees were not around at the end of Mullen's run at UF. Having a top ten recruiting class is great. On the other hand, it does not mean squat if you cannot keep these players at UF.

Losing 23 is like losing an entire signee class:
    • They left the Gator program via the portal or other reasons. They still had at least a year or more of eligibility.
    • At that time UF along with the other Florida State colleges were hamstrung the the then State of Florida laws that regulated the Portal Process. The out of state schools had a field day in poaching the Florida colleges.

As for UF not having a top ten Recruiting Class:
    • The 2022 class was due the the dumpster fire that Mullen left the program in.
    • The 2023 and 2024 are on Napier.
    • By the way finishing between 12th and 19th does not necessarily mean UF got the floor sweepings.

18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    The only thing I fisagreee with is qb being a problem. AR and Mertz may be nowhere near the Heisman but they are way better than average.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    As far as reality, Mullen never had a top ten class. They were a bunch of busts, no shows, and players kicked off the team along with many others reason so many never played a down. The talent level at the end of Mullen’s tenure was shit.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  20. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    The difficult past may be prolog, but it's not necessarily predictive. TBH, I do feel that a sea change of sorts may be unfolding this spring. IMO, there does appear to be more talent/depth on hand than we've seen in at least three or four years. Based on what I've read/seen thus far, the new staff hires look like a solid step in the right direction - RR in particular. Billy obviously remains resolute, and it seems that now, with over 80% of the new roster being his recruits, the team is solidly behind him and seemingly has a chip on its collective shoulder. Good. The future is upon us this spring - and I'm guardedly optimistic about what it may hold for UF FB. GG!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2