Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Fixing Florida

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by doctorg8r, Mar 13, 2024.

1. doctorg8r

doctorg8r GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2018
    I'm not a Mullen fan, but he definitely raises an interesting perspective. He sees what Napier's going through and claims Gator fans have no clue how far behind the program became. He also thinks Billy is just getting started, and to put him on the hot seat creates, once again, instability!
    ()

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  2. foot

foot Senior

Mar 24, 2008
    Sounds like a lot of excuses.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. always_and_forever_uf

always_and_forever_uf GC Legend

Jun 20, 2022
    Glad Mullen is gone. Yes, GREAT offensive Xs and Os. Yes, GREAT. The rest? Abominable.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  4. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Always is with him.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Complaining that Florida fans want scoring BUT...they also want to win was absurd. Same with him claiming leashes were too short. Muschamp proved he was mediocre over time. Maclwein was a train wreck. Mullen wasted 2019 and 2020 with Grantham and poor recruiting. He had all the momentum after 18 and 19 to strike it big in recruiting and get a new defensive coordinator and instead he quit.

With that said, even the biggest Mullen critic (myself included) has to realize that the UAA fell asleep while Saban forced schools to keep up with facilities and support amenities. I don't buy in to all of his other rambling about short leashes and why he failed but clearly we were stuck in the 90s while the powers were throwing anything and everything at their football programs.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Who the hell asked him? He contributed to this freakin mess.

• Winner x 10
    • Agree x 4
    • Funny x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Best Post Ever x 2
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
  7. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    If I were looking for a first-person assessment of how we actually got "so far behind," it would be from the man who put us there in the first place. In that regard at least, Dan is still the man. But when it comes to ANYTHING else, I have no time for him anymore and could not care less what he thinks about Gator fans, BN or much of anything for that matter. After the industrial grade douchery he has displayed on too many occasions to recount, I see him as little more than a major league shirker and a whining paycheck thief.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  8. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    Not sure why this needed it's own thread, a whole lotta wind is the only thing I heard in that video.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    He took our money and ran no doubt but I don’t think he’s wrong about our program being way behind. We have an attitude like we don’t need to keep up and expected the logo empress kids. It’s not about shiny things as much as just keeping up to date.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. doctorg8r

doctorg8r GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2018
    I wish everyone had listened to the pertinent and filtered out the nonsensical. College football has been changing, but we fell behind. Yes, several coaches participated in that endeavor, but we are getting there!
    The other point--stability. This hotseat talk contributes to the opposite. (Sometimes, you have to read between the lines!) Mullen implied really setting the program back with impatience. Billy has created a culture, and this team has bought into it. There would be a mass exodus, if some fans got their way.
    BN has brought in some important pieces, and he's not done. Part of the fix is our expectations, and I am preaching to the choir!

• Like Like x 6
  11. lizardbreath

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    There's no doubt that he's right about UF "being behind". But if someone observed that DM's arrogance and stubbornness were prime factors in the mess he left behind at UF, I wouldn't argue with that either. I honestly can't wait for the day when he's back on the sidelines, being the smartest guy in the stadium for someone's else's physically mediocre FB team. At least he won't be on air, talking about the program he drove into a ditch as if his own personal and professional failures weren't a huge factor in our current situation. There are men in the world who can acknowledge a mistake and learn from it. IMO, DM doesn't appear to be that guy. I truly dislike his conduct and attitude as a highly paid professional. Again, he systematically shirked his duties as a recruiter and refused to consider that he may have been remiss in tying the program's success to his own fragile but outsized ego - and Todd Grantham. Actual geniuses aren't usually noted for doing incredibly stupid shit, over and over again. End of rant.

• Winner Winner x 10
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  12. lunamatthews

lunamatthews Recruit

Mar 14, 2024
    I agree with you.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Irony. FDM

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  14. lizardbreath

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    Meh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Dan is looking out for Dan. He’s saying it’s our fault not his

• Agree Agree x 7
  16. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2017
    And yet he went 35-16 (.686) his four years here...

17. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Everyone needs to listen to it before commenting...
    He said we were "so far behind" in terms of facilities. When the coaches asked to upgrade they were told we didn't need it under SOS or Meyer, so why do you need it?
    If anyone wants to disregard that because DM has his own faults- IMO that's ridiculous.
    We've heard that from others too.

I agree Mullen made unforgivable mistakes (Grantham) and he's certainly earned his share of Gator Nation hate.
    I still think he's a good man, and very very intelligent, but NOT a CEO, not a head guy. Not on our level anyway.

But what he says I think is fair and should be listened to.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I’ll never apologize for expecting greatness for UF, particularly given its vast array of resources that only a few schools can match. Florida has the size, geography (near the most fertile recruiting areas in the country), tradition, and the wealth. Other than incompetence there is no reason for us to have this long of a period of mediocrity.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  19. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    He won his first two years with McElwain's players. For all of McElwain's warts, he had turned recruiting around. Mullen can coach an offense, and he was left with the talent to succeed. Once he had to win with mostly his own players, it all fell apart.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  20. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    Facilities is not why we lost to Vandy and have now got a back and forth rivalry with KY.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1