Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

First game in Gainesville

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 86transam, Aug 30, 2023.

1. 86transam

86transam Recruit

Aug 30, 2023
    Hey y’all, I’m a lifelong OU fan who loves college football and I’ll happen to be in Florida for the Tennessee game. Bought tickets for my wife and I in Section 34. Looking forward to a game in the Swamp!

Wanted to see if y’all had any advice as far as where to park, where to tailgate, etc. I think we will only be in Gainesville on that Saturday. We’ve been to lots of games all around and usually find our way pretty quickly, but some advice ahead of time never hurts!

I didn’t see any similar threads but if you have something already please direct me there.

If y’all see a couple walking around in OU gear on game day it will probably be us…

• Like Like x 2
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That is a great game to go to if you've never been to game in The Swamp. This will be a very loud game, be sure to bring some ear plugs if you have them. The decibels will be up there.

If you really want to have fun don't wear creamsicle orange to Gainesville... Lol, j/k.. Blue is a better choice.

Welcome to Gator Country, I'm sure some Gainesville locals will answer your requests about parking and such.

Hope you have a good time.

Please be sure to return an opinion on the game and atmosphere... hope you like it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RipCurl

RipCurl Senior

Apr 7, 2010
    Look into the shuttles that runs out of Oaks Mall if you want to avoid driving in and out of the campus game day mayhem.

4. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    I usually park in yards in the neighborhoods around campus but it helps to be familiar with the little side streets to not get caught up in traffic. The Innovation District east of the campus is pretty easy to get in and out of but a little farther walk. Not much tailgating though.
    Just head down University Ave between 13th and 21st st. You will find many places to hang out get food beer etc. And better yet, no shortage of fans to talk to. The OU gear might be a good conversation starter.

5. Mr_2Bytes

Mr_2Bytes Freshman

Apr 8, 2010
    South Florida
    Parking:
    Find a house close to the Law Building (which is right next to the stadium) and pay to park in their yard, You'll most likely be blocked in but enjoy it, tailgate in their yard until you are free.

6. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    Welcome to the SEC

7. njgator

njgator GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    University Avenue is definitely ground zero on gameday in Gainesville. As mentioned above, if you turn down almost any side street from University there will be businesses or students offering places to park. Get there early though. I think the cops shut down University Ave two hours before game time.

Welcome to Gainesville and the SEC. Looking forward to making a road trip out to Norman to see a game.

• Creative Creative x 1
  8. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Hall of Fame

Mar 17, 2019
    I used to tail gate with other gators at church parking lot right by W. Univ. Ave. just before Publix by NW 34th St. It's about 1.5 miles from the stadium. Long walk in the heat. I liked it because I can get out of there quickly to the backroads.
    However, It's been over 6 years since I watched à game in the Swamp. So, I'm not sure if parking there is still allowed. They charged 10 bucks before. I imagine it to be a lot more by now.
    I hope you have a good and safe expérience in the swamp.

9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

The Law school is a few blocks from the stadium - maybe a 7-10 minute walk. Not a big deal and we’ve parked there several times — just didn’t want to confuse the guy if he got to the stadium and didn’t see a Law School building

10. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

If you get to town early enough (it’s a night game) find Lake Alice just west of campus and tailgate there. Got trees and grass and a nice lake in which to spot gators. It’s a pretty long walk across campus to the bars though.

Hope it’s a great experience for you. Welcome to SEC Football

11. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    I think they sell season parking now, and pretty sure it’s sold out. It is a good place to park though if there is any game day openings. It’s on 2nd, almost across the street from the golf course.

12. stephenpe

stephenpe Freshman

Oct 2, 2016
    JUst walk north from the stadium and cross 8th ave at 18th street at the light. Parking on the street is free and when you get there its easy to drive away from traffic. you walk down a long steep hill and then look left for parking. I think they still have those rickshaws hauling people out still.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1