Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

FHSAA NIL Regulations

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by SewaneeGator, Aug 15, 2024.

1. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    This is the link to the official FHSAA policy and guidelines for NIL at the high school level and the potential impacts to eligibility. Though some districts may have implemented their own rules after the state changed the law allowing for high school NIL, my district (Polk), had us wait to discuss it with our athletes until this was officially published on the FHSAA website on Tuesday of this week.

Amateurism and Name, Image & Likeness (NIL) - Florida High School Athletic Association

The most relevant section of the bylaw itself:

9.9.1 General Principles. A student may not participate in an athletic activity of this Association unless he/she is an amateur.
    An amateur is one who engages in athletic competition solely for the physical, mental, social, and pleasure benefits derived from the
    activity.
    9.9.2 Activities that may Impact Amateur Status. The following activities may impact a student-athlete’s amateur status:
    (a) Competing for money or other monetary compensations;
    (b) Receiving any award or prize of monetary value which has not been approved by the FHSAA;
    (c) Capitalizing on athletic fame or performance by receiving money or gifts of a monetary nature;
    (d) Signing a professional playing contract in any sport or hiring a registered agent to manage his/her athletic career, other than for
    the purpose of advising on NIL related matters;
    (e) Competing under an assumed name;
    (f) Accepting a Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL) agreement that does not adhere to FHSAA Bylaw 9.9.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Why the heck would anyone pay NIL if it isn't wasn't for the individual's fame? Maybe they should call this the anti-NIL policy, because its a joke. The State law will over-ride this nonsense and I seriously doubt the FHSAA will ever even try enforce the above rules or they will get chewed up and spit out by some kid's (parent's) lawyer.

3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think they want to appear to make this NON-PROFESSIONAL and all about the NIL... name, image and likeness. They do NOT want the NIL to be about some pay-to-play FOOTBALL FAME payment, scheme. They do mention amateurism in their rules to drive home the difference in NIL from pay-for-play.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2024
  4. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Well sign me up! I can't wait to get my checkbook out so I can lock-down the NIL for the pimply, 4th string, kicker.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Kids are now getting NIL consideration in high school... I think that's a bit silly because there's a fine line between a kid's actual NIL worth, and what he/she might actually make in cash simply for playing football... exploitation.

Colleges and universities will try to lock up talent while these kids are still in high school with phony NIL deals.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    This section lists the specific regulations concerning NIL. Of specific note are the prohibitions against advertising that includes school uniforms, logos, mascots, etc., and any mention of FHSAA games or events and FHSAA sanctioned awards like state championships. NIL can't be used to induce transfers and students who do transfer will ineligible for NIL at the new school for their first year. And High school NIL can't be connected to NIL collectives.

Florida High School Athletic Association

9.9.4.3 Use of Member School, FHSAA, or NFHS Markings. Student-athletes are prohibited from making any reference to and will not otherwise use or authorize others to use the uniforms, logos, mascots, insignia, or identifying marks of a member school, the FHSAA, the NFHS, and/or any FHSAA, NFHS, or member school event, game, or championship when engaging in any NIL activity. Student-athletes will be prohibited from monetizing their Name, Image, and Likeness with the use of their school’s uniform, equipment, logo, name, proprietary patents, products, and/or copyrights associated with an FHSAA member school, NFHS, and/or school district, either in public, print, or social media platforms, unless granted authorization by prior written consent from the school, district or governing body of the school, or Association, respectively.
    9.9.4.3.1 Student-athletes may not endorse or promote any third-party entities, goods, or services during school-/district-sponsored activities or FHSAA activities.
    9.9.4.3.2 No reference to FHSAA, NFHS, school, or school district accolades or championships may be used in the student’s NIL activities for which they are compensated.
    9.9.4.4 Prohibited Engagements. Student-athletes are prohibited from engaging in any NIL activities involving the following categories of products and services:
    (a) Adult entertainment products and services;
    (b) Alcohol, tobacco, vaping, and nicotine products;
    (c) Cannabis products;
    (d) Controlled substances;
    (e) Prescription pharmaceuticals;
    (f) Gambling, including sports betting, the lottery, and betting in connection with video games, online games,
    and mobile devices;
    (g) Weapons, firearms, and ammunition;
    (h) Political or social activism; and
    (i) NIL Collectives.
    9.9.4.5 Representative of a School’s Athletic Interests. No school employee, athletic department staff member, or representative of a school’s athletic interests as defined in Bylaw 1.4.17 (a-e), may form, direct, offer, provide, or otherwise engage in any activity outlined in FHSAA Bylaw 9.9. Representatives of a school’s athletic interests as defined in Bylaw 1.4.17(f) are subject to the prohibitions included in 9.9.4.2 and 9.9.4.4(i).
    9.9.4.6 Must Not be Used to Recruit. NIL activities shall not be used to pressure, urge, or entice a
    student-athlete to attend a school for the purpose of participating in interscholastic athletics. The NIL agreement shall not be used as a guise for athletic recruiting (reference Policies 36 and 37).
    9.9.4.7 Student Transfers. A student-athlete who transfers after starting a sport, shall be prohibited from securing an NIL agreement that season, unless he/she meets one of the provisions outlined in Bylaw 9.3.2.2.