Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

FBI Executed a Warrant at Mar a Lago; the Investigation Continues

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by duchen, Aug 8, 2022.

1. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    My take at the time was if she was caught with the “mishandling” in real time, it would probably necessitate firing and stripping of security clearance. Something that would be rendered moot by the Presidential election, as a sitting POTUS defacto has the highest level clearance. It never seemed likely to be a criminal matter me. I was open to some egregious finding to change my mind on criminality. But it never happened. The funny thing is I remember specifically opining that if she had a box of physical documents stashed that would raise the bar.

With Trump, of course, we skip straight to that “egregious” part and it keeps getting worse.

2. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    to me, a unsecured digital trove of documents is much more worrisome than a box of documents. One can be accessed and quickly reproduced with no physical presence, the other, not so much, so I don't understand why the box of hard copy is worse than the unsecured digital record

3. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    Some keep referring to the big issue as "the 30,000 missing emails." If she is the one with the power to decide what to keep, those emails aren't missing. She rightly removed them as was her purview.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I do think that an argument can be made that the physical boxes represent purposeful theft.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    the appearance to me is that she is a MAGA supporter trying to find a way to help. my disappointment is that the judicial supervisors have not already called her in to help her understand that her duty is to the law and not to MAGA

6. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    That’s one of many, but if you think that she had authority to have classified emails on a personal unsecure server, delete classified emails from her personal email to conceal those emails from investigative legal authorities, then lie under oath about it, then perhaps you need to educate yourself.

7. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    There's no proof anywhere that happened. It's as substantive a comment as all the Hunter Biden's laptop boners you people cling to.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Digital almost always leaves a trail. You can try and cover your tracks, and sometimes are successful. But not always.

Paper? Wear gloves, snap a picture from a non-connected digital camera, and what proof that this information was stolen exists? Not much.

There's good reason why TS/SCI information is never supposed to be digitized. It is easier to steal something digital, but also easier to track.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    and what is the storing of materials on an unauthorized server after her tenure was over?

10. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    She lied under oath that she had any classified documents on the server, she deletes 30,000, and you choose to give her the benefit of the doubt because she’s a political ally.

You deny the same courtesy to Trump because he’s a political enemy to you, and because you’re a political hack. If Trump burned MAL to the ground in anticipation of the FBI raid, every liberal on Too Hot would be calling it obstruction of justice.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  11. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    almost is operative word. the reality is that by wiping the server she likely removed any chance to track that digital trail. she didn't have that server wiped to protect chelsea's wedding plans. to believe so would be analogous to believing that DT kept those files so he could write his memoirs.

you would have to be in the same room to snap the pic, not so much to hack the server. hopefully the ML security system has backups of all the cameras tracking who went to that closet and in/out of the other areas where documents were discovered.

12. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    agreed, she wiped the server and remove any opportunity to find the evidence. a strong case could be made that wiping the server was obstruction.

but none of that is relative to what DT did and whether he should be put behind bars for it.

13. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    So your thinking TS/SCI is produced from a typewriter or something? Seems like nowadays it would start out as digital. But you sound like more of an expert than me so I’ll take your word for it

14. vaxcardinal

Apr 8, 2007
    You have to factor in the classification of the documents. I only seem to recall Hillary having confidential documents but I could be mistaken.

15. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Hillary didn't purposely attempt to hide anything from the FBI. She admitted she deleted the emails which she thought were of a personal nature. Out of all the emails recovered, 3 total were marked classified.

In contrast, Trump moved boxes to try and keep them. He purposely had his lawyer lie on an affidavit, stating no more classified docs were being held at MAR. We don't know Trump's intent on keeping the classified docs, but there is no real comparison between the two cases.

When government officials are caught with classified docs, if the person cooperates, does his/her best to return all classified docs, and there is no intent to use the docs, charges are rarely filed. On the other hand, if there is any proof of obstruction, or potential for the docs to be used for nefarious purposes, charges are generally filed. Recently, most high ranking officials caught with classified docs and obstructing the FBI have plead guilty to a misdemeanor. They have lost their clearance and never worked in intel again. Trump changed the law so that anyone charged can no longer be charged with a misdemeanor in 2018.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    They are created on non-Internet connected computers, or on computers with a very strong firewall. And generally deleted after printed.

I worked for a company that digitized docs, and we had Secret clearance to do Government docs. It was the highest level of docs that were allowed to be digitized at the time. This was about 10 years ago, but I believe the rules haven't changed. I actually was vetted and given security clearance, because the company wanted someone from every department to have it. I was the second highest ranking person in my dept, but my boss was an Israeli citizen. Brilliant person and great boss, but wasn't allowed to hold any security clearance at the time.

• Informative Informative x 3
  17. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I had a similar take at the time, and still now. But a slight caveat. I don't think she should have been criminally charged either, but her security clearance should have been revoked, making her ineligible to be president.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. vaxcardinal

Apr 8, 2007
    No clue why you had those rules. I can say with 100% confidence that hasn’t been the rules in at least 25 years. Your company must have had more restrictive rules.

19. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    We didn't need someone from every dept with clearance. Single proprietor owner preferred it. The company's highest clearance was Secret, meaning we couldn't do anything Top Secret or higher. Most of the government docs we did never had any clearance marks, but had a few aerospace clients that had government contracts. Helped to have Secret clearance to work with them.

20. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I’m not defending Hillary, but an act of omission is very different than an act of commission.
    Trump literally had to tell someone to pack up those boxes marked restricted, knowing he was no longer in office and had zero right to them (even before getting into their classifications), and the put them on the truck to his house. Then decide where to store them, what to tell his lawyers about them, how to deal with the archives folks etc.
    Hillary’s situation was a bit more convoluted. Comey framed it as carelessness.

• Agree Agree x 3