Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

FBI Executed a Warrant at Mar a Lago; the Investigation Continues

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by duchen, Aug 8, 2022.

1. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    ot but have you seen the video of the black bear climbing a tree and taking a young eagle out of the nest for dinner. amazing that young eagle didn't even attempt to jump out of nest, shot in Alaska

2. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    It’s not a pleasant reality, but if we look at this objectively, do you really think Trump is going to indicted for wrongfully holding documents? Our Nation is ripped almost completely apart as it is. I just can’t imagine someone deciding indicting Trump on those Charges is worth the armed response by his crazy, lunatic followers.

3. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    Then we no longer have a country worth speaking of.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    At least one of his attorneys is going to jail for lieing about the documents being there. Unless the lawyer squeals on don corleone. Oops I meant Trump.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    it is much more than jsut holding documents. willful obstruction, compromising national security interests with negligent handling, etc. perhaps it is worth drawing a line in the sand and saying enough is enough, the country will not be held hostage by threat of violence. A bully will remain bully until someone knocks him on his arse. Appeasement is never a good solution

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I think this kind of statement as pure histrionics. Here’s a comparison. I imagine you were horrified that DeSantis did his “Look at me” “thing” and suspended a duly elected State Attorney for refusing to prosecute crimes under the DeSantian legislation (don’t say gay and anti-woke laws). A prosecutor rightfully has prosecutorial discretion as to whether to bring a claim, and DeSantis smashed that discretion.

It’s the same principle here - the prosecutor has the discretion, weighing the risks and rewards, of whether to biting charges against Trump. Exercising that discretion does not ruin a country — IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME!! And should the US Attorney make the decision not to prosecute, a decision I fully anticipate, I would not fault him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Hey, I am NO Trump fan, and I fully agree with you and your views here. But I just don’t think anyone will be charged criminally over this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

9. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    apples and aardvarks trying to compare the two. One is subjective, the other is totally objective. With DT, it is clear that the laws were broken. The offenses are felonies jeopardizing national security.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    if not I will be severely disappointed. How could one ever prosecute these treacherous offenses going forward if these obvious ones go unpunsihed. That would be reason for massive protests against the FBI and the DOJ. If the dems want to lose my vote, play coward and let this slide.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Well, prosecutorial discretion is subjective. And a prosecutor refusing to prosecute someone who objectively breaks the law, such as the DeSantis victim, and a prosecutor refusing to prosecute someone who objectively breaks the law, such as Trump’s gross mishandling of government information, are the same in terms of whether a law is broken.

And, since we do not know exactly what was wrongfully situated at MAL, we have no idea of the true nature of the sensitive information, so we really cannot state with a certainty as to whether he has truly jeapordized national security.

And, again, I’m on your side here. I want Trump prosecuted, I think he is one of the biggest threats to our Nation that we have seen. I am just opining that I do not realistically believe any charges will ever be filed against Trump for this fiasco.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I mostly agree with you, until the last sentence. I sure hope and trust that the decision to charge is not based on whether the charging authority is Democrat or Republican-leaning. This needs to be independent and apolitical (which is precisely how Garland has handled things since taking over).

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This is interesting. In a trump filing about a potential special master (SM), they agreed the SM should have the proper clearances to view the classified docs.

I thought trump declassified the docs?!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. StrangeGator

StrangeGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    At the very least, he'll be indicted for obstruction of justice. The only way he could have avoided that is if he had shut his mouth. He was still guilty of obstruction but it was all behind closed doors. He's left the DOJ no choice. The best outcome is if he is indicted and then pardoned by Biden.

15. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    If you think the FBI is a worry for Trump nation, just wait until the IRS gets started.................

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  16. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Could you say that it is "likely" that physical documents improperly stored at a club with hundreds of members owned by the former President in which we know that there have been multiple foreign agents at different events had been compromised too?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    in all of their filings, not a single one of his attorneys has ever stated that the docs were declassified. They know they would be subject to disbarment for stating an obvious lie int heir filings. The whole declassified thing is for the press, not the courts, because anybody that has to be truthful cannot make that claim

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  18. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Not sure what the DOJ does. But I do know they will wait until after the midterms before they act, assuming they do act. I could see an agreement where Trump pleads guilty to lesser charges in return for no jail time. But it also means Trump can no longer run for office again. This is a deal a normal person would take, and I'd bet Trump's lawyers would push him to accept. But Trump isn't normal, and I'm not sure his borderline narcissist personality ever pleads guilty to anything.

Biden could give Trump a blanket pardon, but why would he do that if that meant Trump was eligible to run in 2024? And would Trump accept a pardon from Biden?

In the end, the threat to national security just may be too great that the DOJ has no choice but proceed. The DOJ, so far, has done a great job at staying out in front of the story, and painting Trump as reckless with top secret, national security information. If the DOJ can stay on message, I think it will limit the potential violence from Trump supporters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I recall in an interview around four years ago Michael Cohen suggested that Trump should really worry about the IRS and let's not forget that the NY AG although not criminally is investigating Trump and his organization for tax fraud.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I also think that Trump's attorneys could be in deep excrement for affirming that the Donald turned over all of the documents requested by the National Archives back in June.

• Agree Agree x 1