Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Fat bottom Girls dropped

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ATLGATORFAN, Aug 21, 2023.

1. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Perhaps the song was dropped not because of the title, but for the vulgar meaning Brits have given to the word fanny?

fanny - Wiktionary, the free dictionary.

Noun
    fanny (countable and uncountable, plural fannies)
    1. (Britain, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, vulgar) The female genitalia. [from 1830s]
      Her dress was so short you could nearly see her fanny.
    2. (Canada, US, informal) The buttocks; arguably the most nearly polite of several euphemisms. [from 1910s]
      Children, sit down on your fannies, and eat your lunch.
      Get off your fanny and get back to work!
    3. (UK, vulgar) Sexual intercourse with a woman.
      get some fanny tonight
    4. (UK, vulgar, uncountable) Women viewed as sexual objects.
      This club is full of fanny.
    Usage notes[edit]
    In North American usage, this is the mildest of euphemisms referring to the buttocks, suitable for use when speaking to small children. Elsewhere, it's a vulgar direct reference to female genitalia and sexuality.

Synonyms[edit]

2. slocala

slocala VIP Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Don’t know. “before I left my nursery” in a sexualized context could mean any age before no longer needing a “nanny”. Since May was English, I assume “nanny” has to be looked at what age was childcare provided.

I wonder if “fat bottom” refers to the low end of a bass or of a “fat” heavy guitar riff.

3. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Based on the babes thread, seems like the weight is in the top

• Creative Creative x 1
  4. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I wonder what you feel is the appropriate age at which youth should be able to listen to this song. I remember listening to the Violent Femmes around age 15. The lyrics to songs like "Blister in the Sun" are far more explicit than the lyrics of "Fat Bottomed Girls." In general, I think it's foolish to censor artist renditions. It should be up to parents and teachers to make those decisions according to circumstances. Developmental difference is a thing.

5. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine

• Like Like x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Friendly suggestion: Don't take song lyrics literally. Every read poetry? Consider the potential for metaphor. What you think is a song about an adult female sexually abusing a young male might very well be interpreted as coming of age. it's an age-old theme. Truly artistic lyricists have a special ability of straddling the lines of acceptability and appropriateness in thought-provoking ways. I bet Freddy is giggling in the grave at the thought of folks who are aghast at these lyrics in 2023.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    I think it’s a fantasy. Most of the song lyrics reference adulthood. If the entire song was the same fantasy, I could see pulling it for that reason. I’m guessing @lacuna is correct or at least much warmer.

There are a couple of Kiss songs, for example, that make pretty clear references and it’s too much, very creepy, imo. I don’t get that vibe with Queen’s song.

8. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    This was a fantastic listen - thanks! I wish our fallen brother @gatorknights was around to contribute to this. Zappa's comment about a fascist theocracy were prophetic:

"When you have a government that prefers a certain moral code derived from a certain religion and that moral code turns into legislation to suit one certain religious point of view . . . and if that code happens to be very, very right wing almost . . . toward Attila the Hun . . ." (He got cut off by the sniveling nutt job brought on the show to counter his opinions).

P.S. For those who freak out, Zappa was a self-professed conservative.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  9. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    This is just ridiculous. A gay band, singing about fat bottom girls, when Brazilian butt implants are all the rage, and rappers have been serenading posteriorly gifted women for decades, and they decide to do this.

:facepalm:

10. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Appropriate for MTV in 1984
    Teacher = pedo?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2023
  11. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Sure because I have access to what my kids listen too in their airpods when they are at a friends house?

The parent copout is convenient until it isn't. We have all sorts of protections for kids designed to protect them because a parent cant be there all the time.

I love the song. Cant get ot out of my head because of this thread lol, but it clearly deals with a mature subject matter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. tilly

MTV wasnt a "lids" music service. This is.
    And yeah. A lot of what DLR does 8s inappropriate lol. Sammy cleaned the image up a lt :D
    Van Hagar > DLR

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  13. tilly

Against them? No.
    Child appropriate though? Also a no.

No one is asking for a song to be banned.
    But limiting what goes on a kids platform makes sense. Otherwise we would not have kids platforms.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. jhenderson251

jhenderson251 Premium Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I always took it as artistic exaggeration, a clever way of saying "when I was a young lad."

15. jhenderson251

Aug 7, 2008
    Well now you're just trolling.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. jhenderson251

Aug 7, 2008
    Credit to OP. Reminded me of how much I enjoy Queen, and hadn't listened to them in too long.

17. JG8tor

JG8tor Senior

Apr 9, 2007
    I always thought it was slang for a type of motorcycle with a wide back tire, so a fat bottom girl is a double entendre for a biker chick. "Get on your bikes and ride!"

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. JG8tor

JG8tor Senior

Apr 9, 2007
    I'm going to guess that the first time you heard a Van Halen song, it was a Sammy song. The first couple Bond movies I saw were Roger Moore movies and when I saw the first Connery Bond I was like WTF is this guy? It didn't take long to realize that Connery is Bond. Roger made some good movies (and some stinkers) but he's not Bond.

I like Sammy, liked him before he was in VH, but any one of the first six Van Halen albums would get you through a lifetime on a deserted island. And it's not necessarily Sammy's fault, he took over at the same time that the power ballad was making money.

I had a thought, not sure how original - may have heard it somewhere - and remember I like Sammy, but he's like the Guy Fieri of rock and roll.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. tilly

You're certainly not alone, but my first VH memories were definately DLR, but I just find him too weird for me.

Eddie is Eddie. Alex has a signature sound. But Michael's backing vocals actually carry the band much more than people credit him for. Thats why him and Hagar are still together and doing their thing.

Hagar is sort of a Buffett type of dude now. Which is cool, but i really loved the crunchy sound of some of the Van Hagar stuff and I think his voice fit it perfectly.

BTW, no love for Gary Cherone? ? :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    What do you feel is the appropriate age for a person to listen to "Fat Bottom Girls?" Placing the responsibility on parents is not a copout. I'd suggest that parents who seek to restrict artists, industry, or force the gov to legislate music is the copout.