Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Fastest shrinking fan bases

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by RealGatorFan, Apr 23, 2023.

1. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Who knows where they got these numbers? I’m sure we’d see a decline with merchandise, tv, and even attendance. But every bad team does. That’s what happens. If we become good and those numbers go up…did we get new fans? Obviously not. It’s just that fans aren’t focused on a 6-6 Cheeto bowl game vs Oregon state in mid December. They aren’t buying that t shirt and they aren’t prognosticating on that game

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Took me 5 minutes to research and the data was compiled by SBRnet, a sports analytics firm located in sunny West Palm Beach, FL. They do scores of research in all sports and most of it is compiled by online polls done twice a year, using between 5,000 and 6,500 people age 13+. I'd probably base my poll on 18+, people who actually can buy tickets and attend games without parental supervision. But I guess a 13 year might be an ardent fan as any of us. Center for Sports Analytics at Samford University did the analyzing of the data for completeness and I do know their mathematics and analytics curriculum are pretty good because those who can get into UF's school may not be able to get into Samford's. Private college with pretty high entrance requirements (and cost).

Now since we can't get ahold of their survey to figure out how Ole Miss only had 131K fans last year, not much to go on actually. And it does not take into merchandising which I think would be important because if fans are dropping out, they'll take their merchandise money with them. But considering how many outlets sell apparel, I'm not sure how you can tell what is selling or not.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. GatorToTheEnd

GatorToTheEnd VIP Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Pensacola, Fl
    Samford not so much; I went to school in Birmingham and know it well. It’s a small liberal arts college ranked in like the 140s compared to UFs #30. It’s a decent little suitcase college but don’t overhype it just cuz it’s private.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Clickbait article with zero proof to back up it's claim.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Agree with Rick - Click bait article.

• Like Like x 1
  6. njgator

njgator GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    I agree. Freeze may not be a model of integrity and good character but he’s a good football coach. Auburn is well known as being a very tough place to coach. Lot’s of voices there who all think the coach should listen to them. That being said, I think Freeze is probably the best coach that Auburn could get.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I am actually gaining weight, I don’t know what the hell this is about.

• Funny Funny x 5
  8. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Hall of Fame

Mar 17, 2019
    I'm pretty sure there were no "research" involved in that article. Do they teach doing research, testing and getting real sources at school anymore?

9. Mil_Mascaras

Mil_Mascaras Freshman

Apr 29, 2007
    What a shocker! The author went to the University of Alabama.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. gainesvillegreen44

gainesvillegreen44 GC Legend

Nov 5, 2015
    Omnipresent
    It’s so funny seeing everyone saying what a crock this article is but if we were rated the highest growth everybody would be saying the opposite. I’m on campus a lot… deal with a ton of students and I gotta tell ya… not only had apathy set in… there are a ton of kids who just make fun of where we are at. There are a ton of factors but product on the field and style of play weight heavily. Have you been to a game last couple years ? Lotta empty seats

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    They were never fans in the first place

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Stay away from Florida Field.
    Please

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  13. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

As a student in the 70s who went to every home game, I blow my nose at you

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  14. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    Straight-up troll. Enjoy life in the cornfield wise guy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    TBH, I don’t like Freeze being at Auburn. Not at all. He will get their talent upgraded and he’s a damn good coach.

Plus, after getting Pelled he may well have a big chip on his shoulder for the rest of the Conference.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The fans in the stands says a lot our our support. I don't see it diminishing. I wonder if the author was looking at the Covid year numbers? Yeah, we were definitely down that year.

I do however liked the all SEC schedule we have that year. Every game that year was meaningful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. dave_the_thinker

dave_the_thinker VIP Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Milton, FL
    I admit that this took me by surprise.

He used complete sentences.

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I only go to the good games and they are packed. If the seats aren’t full, schedule better games.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Florida fanbase is not shrinking.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  20. chuikov

chuikov VIP Member

Jan 2, 2021
    Just win baby! That eliminates all the BS. Case in point look no further than FSU on the verge of total fiscal collapse of the Athletic Department to front runner to begin the 23 season. LOL clown squad fans rushed the field after time elapse beating 6-6 UF. Winning cures all. Our time will come.

• Agree Agree x 3