Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

End of Game Strategy

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Spurffel, Oct 17, 2023.

1. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    And only lost 10 effective yards, at that.

We got the pick at the 30 and punted with no line of scrimmage to contend with at the 20. Time all but gone. Not sure why some are complaining.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Some in our fan base have to always complain about something. The guy that sat in front of me in 90’s would complain about Spurrier when we had to punt and were already up by 3-4 scores. I don’t get it either.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Spurffel

Spurffel All American

Apr 9, 2007
    I've reread the thread and I'm not sure anyone has complained.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Hall of Fame

Jul 24, 2010
    Correct. They were going to full out for a block punt and who knows...the safety essentially ensured a fifth down on that drive by kicking it away.

5. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    No one complained. It was just a discussion with questions thrown around.
    As someone said- this stuffis fun when you win.
    Not so fun after an L.

• Like Like x 1
  6. gatorPUNX

gatorPUNX GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I like Louchiez Purifoy but I think he let this moment get to his head.

7. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I can't imagine any Gator letting a moment vs Louisiana Lafayette get to his head, but the 12 team was like this.
    Very undisciplined, but very talented too.
    The warning signs were there under Muschamp but some didn't want to believe it. (Namely me- I thought we would be fine.)

8. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Exactly, the ONLY reason we can say that this thread is not complaining is because we flew home with a W.

9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I think the question was more about why use the place kicker to punt instead of the punter. It seems to have been answered by noting the different punting styles. Personally, I think we should have had @Claygator ’s dad punt it :D

Last edited: Oct 19, 2023
  10. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    The discussion is all good here.

It's an ending that I don't really see very often, but for the Gators this is unusual ending #2. Surely there was a discussion after the UToothless game on what to avoid. (Heupel should've been fined, story for another thread)

Here, there were 3 SC timeouts. Changed a little what to do. Best thing was no hand offs. 4th down was a smart play.

MAIN ISSUE - on 4th down, the Oline did a damn poor job of keeping the defenders from a jail break, and mertz was running for his life.

A safety result - can kick off or punt. Punter had 2 kicks in game for a 37 yard average. 20 punts this year, 43 yard average. Good hang time overall. Kick off not the go to decision imo because the hang time is less.

CATCH OR RECOVERY OF A FREE KICK
    (c) A player of the kicking team may legally touch, catch, or recover the ball if:
    (i) it first touches a receiving team player; or
    (ii) it reaches or crosses the receiving team’s restraining line.

You can onside kick a free kick. It works the same way as a kickoff. Keep in mind that the receiving team can fair catch a free kick (just like a punt or kickoff), so they can't just punt the ball straight up, it needs to hit the ground (you can't fair catch a ball after it hits the ground).

I rewatched the ending, and the interception after the free kick was a thing of beauty

11. robertgator

robertgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    What’s interesting to me is that with 3 timeouts you can get the ball back from the other team who has a first down with only 30 secs on the clock.

there should be (probably there is) list or grid of times and what you need to do. Eg,

with 15 or less secs left, other team has 3 tos, you can take a knee 4x and win.

with 30 secs, you need to run the ball 3x to kill the clock.

with >45 secs, you’ll need one first down.

Considering the score, I guess you’d need a good sized matrix of variables and reccomendations…. Anyone got the handy? I’m always like, is the game really over at this point? Announcers seem to know. The amount of time I’ve dedicated to this sport, you’d think I’d know.

12. CadGator

CadGator All American

Nov 17, 2008
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    That would have worked too.

Looking back at it the safety was a wise choice.

Leaving nothing to chance was important especially with how this team has played thus far this season.

This win could very well have been the boost this program needed moving forward. Just like SOS said that win at Alabama was in 1990.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BobK89

BobK89 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    I agree taking the safety was the right call.