Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

End of Game Strategy

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Spurffel, Oct 17, 2023.

1. CadGator

CadGator All American

Nov 17, 2008
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    GM didn't run around on 1st Down. Took a knee immediately and only took 1 second off the clock.

2. CadGator

CadGator All American

Nov 17, 2008
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    OK, so that's what you would do. I would have done it differently.

3. CadGator

CadGator All American

Nov 17, 2008
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    You are the 3rd person to reference what Cristobol did.
    He isn't coaching the Gators!

4. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    Why on earth would a bench clearing
    Thank God.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Rkb75

Rkb75 Senior

Sep 19, 2015
    Punt is higher and allows better coverage vs kick off tee. Punts easily can go 60 yds or more in the air.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. gatorinla

gatorinla Recruit

Nov 20, 2017
    I don't know the stats but I can't imagine it is very often a D1 kicker shanking their punts on a freekick.

Also I was curious as to why they didn't call a fair catch and I think the rule is that because it is a free kick, it is a live ball. So essentially once it bounces on the ground, they can no longer call a fair catch. So it looks like that kick and coverage could not have gone any better than how it occurred.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    How many times did Mertz drop a snap in the game?

How many slipping events happened during the game with a guy wearing cleats?

Did any player clumsily trip in last 3 games?

You know the answers

Free kick - even a ‘shank’ would yield a 30 yard kick

Coaching worked

Be happy

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    LOL....winner!

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Watching that video really makes we want to get our Special Teams back the way it used to be - back in the day.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    You don't say.

11. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Not sure why questioning this is even a thing. I never thought of it as an option until I saw it play out in real time. When we did it, I thought…”damn, I didn’t think about that. But really smart call”.

Again, not sure why this is being questioned. We won.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. bposs

bposs GC Hall of Fame

Sep 3, 2010
    Woodstock, GA
    Napier looked surprised Beamer called timeout after first down. He thought take a knee and game over. Once he realized SC was going to take each of their remaking timeouts, then we tried to burn more time off clock.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I think taking the safety was definitely the correct call, although it did open up the prospect of us losing on a long field goal if there were shenanigans at the end (some type of defensive penalty on us).

What was a bit dumb was taking an immediate knee on 1st down. Should have anticipated USCe would use their 3 time outs and killed a few seconds even in 1st down. We didn’t need to risk pulling a Miami, just don’t take the knee right away. Failing to do that is what made it a bit more… interesting… at the end.

Our guys/coaches had their hands up like USCe should’t use their 3 timeouts. Which i thought was weird, esp considering we basically took no time on 1st down. Of course they were going to use their time outs.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. illinoisgatorsfan

illinoisgatorsfan Junior

Nov 4, 2017
    Why risk a fumble like Miami?

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    I highlighted the answer to your own question. It's Sad but true

16. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Gator fans. Sad, but true.

A play works exactly as intended to win the game for us, but gator fans think:

"Well, maybe Napier could have won it in a different way!! He could have hiked the ball to the running back who could have run back and forth across the field like a chicken with his head cut off, hoping to grope a cheerleader along the way, and kill more clock! What a fool our coach is!!"

"Well, maybe our offensive line should have grabbed the Cocks by the nuts and held them motionless while our running back groped the cheerleaders after running back and forth across the field!! That would have killed even more time than just groping cheerleaders!! Forget the penalty!!! That's not illegal!!! Stupid coach!!!"

"Well, what a dummy our coach is!! Why did he use our kickoff guy instead of the regular punter to kick the punt!!! I don't care if it worked, or if our kickoff guy nailed the punt, dammit, this needs to be addressed!! No one asked ME!! And why weren't the cheerleaders involved?!?!!"

" Why didn't we just throw deep? If our offensive linemen had the cock defensive lineman by the balls, and the cheerleaders were running all over the place trying to avoid being groped, the cock defensive backs would have been so distracted, it would be an easy touchdown!!! Damn that Napier!! We are entitled to RUTS!!"

Go Gator armchair quarterbacks, go!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    The shanked punt is a risk in both scenarios, but a higher risk in a long snap play than a free kick. There was no ideal scenario there. Coach went with the higher probability of success and it was the right call.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  18. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Because Beamer has more confidence in his Special Teams to deliver a miracle then he does Rattler. Again, their coach made the right call as well.

19. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Fans who need to prove they are smart and fill message boards with *ideas* from youtubers and tweeters.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    Mayo, FL
    My issue is that there should never have been a need to decide. I believe the QB could have evaded long enough over four snaps to kill the clock.

• Agree Agree x 2