Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Employers in NYC and California will soon have to post salary ranges on job postings

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Oct 30, 2022.

1. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Any document in which both parties agree (by signing) that outlines expectations and penalties for failing to meet those expectations. You could absolutely draw up such a document prior to administering a drug test if it was a big deal to you.

2. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Lol. Can you imagine the fallout from that?

Businesses would be accused of singling out certain groups with a propensity to fail drug tests. Ageism!!!!

That would be NY and Cali's next "noble" calling.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Why would anyone worry about an employee lying or withholding something when we have at-will employment? You can get let go for basically any reason if your employer finds out something they dont like about you after being hired. You employer sees you post a photo at a dispensary and they can fire you without doing a drug test regime.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    I’ve been out of my parents house and paying for myself since before I graduated high school, but let’s stop this BS of pretending that employees have all the leverage, and salary range transparency on a state level is some vast overreach..

My point was that we are all born as cogs in this economic machine, and have few if any realistic options to provide for oneself independent from it.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    The fact that it isn't an attractive option doesn't change the fact that it is your right.

And yet, some firms have done it. Regardless, it is an option. If you choose not to take it, that is your right.

6. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Come on now. There are so many issues with this. Every circumstance is different. For you there was the willingness to accept what you did in order to secure a job with an employer at the rate they offered. Maybe there was a surplus of labor at the time. Maybe there was not. But you and your employer agreed. If your employer was not paying you what you felt you were worth...it is very easy to let them know. One you can go find the job paying $50K more and then let your employer decide if the position is worth keeping or finding someone else. Again. If there is a surplus of labor and your position does not command certain skills that can separate you then you will absolutely lose bargaining power. While I am sure there are some situations where someone doing the same job gets paid $50K more and the skills and production of the two employees are basically equal. That is not the norm. And likely the employer is overpaying if they are getting the same production and paying $50K more for it.

We put the range we are looking to pay when we are looking for applicants. With that we try to confirm that it is still a job they would like to interview for by providing details such as...this is a 4 day a week job (32 hours). So you may get a higher dollar per hour. But you might make less than your current job if you are getting 40 plus hours a week. The last thing we want is to hire someone and not meet their expectations. And that is going to be the case for most companies.

This is a meaningless regulation. Company A is paying $150K to $200K (not disclosed is that 60 hours a week is expected). Company B is paying $125K to $175K for similar work (not disclosed is that 35 to 40 hours a week is expected). This is just meaningless and dumb. Every position is different. Every circumstance is different. This is getting worked up over nothing. @AgingGator nailed it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. G8R92

G8R92 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 5, 2010
    [​IMG]

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The point was that without the actual company data I was negotiating from a position of weakness, they had the upper hand in the negotiation. Had I gone through interviews with other companies to try and gain leverage after taking the job I would have been in the same weakened negotiating position with them as well until an offer was made, which would have been a waste of everyone’s time if it were no better (or worse), and I didn’t know what I could push for.
    And yeah I did eventually get made whole, but it took several years and several off cycle raises because once there i could push a bit more, and my work spoke to why I had earned it. It’s not like I was poor even at the lower salary, but it wasn’t chump change. But for some folks, those differences can mean legit lifestyle impacts.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Everything you said would have been the exact same if they put this meaningless regulation in play. We start at X and you can make up to Y. Oh...and we are not going to disclose the expectations. As those will be different for each company. You were clearly in a weakened negotiating position at the time. This regulation would not have changed that.

Just because company A offers $125K (not disclosing the expectations are 35-40 hours a week and who knows what benefits) does not mean it is a better opportunity than Company B offering $150K (not disclosing the expectations are 55-60 hours a week and who knows what benefits). This really is just a dumb meaningless regulation.

Glad you have been able to grow and make more now.

10. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    How does it handicap startups? Do the interviewees not know it’s a startup? Should a startup pay less than market rates? Unless I’m getting equity in a risk/reward situation, why would I accept less than market rate?

If you think the mom and pop shop startup can use “be part of something special” nonsensical argument to underpay professionals it strikes me as a bit naive. Real people don’t give a shit about building someone else’s business unless they are getting a cut, or unless the job is less stressful to them but still pays reasonably close (someone trying to escape the corporate grind and less of a commute might accept less). But if that’s part of the attraction it can easily be stated up front. Otherwise it generally doesn’t take long for people to figure out they are underpaid. More information > less information.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I say the government doesn't need its hand in such minutiae.

Wage limits are one thing, but requiring a business to post what they pay within those limits is overreach.

The government should stop allowing a $7.25 minimum wage. Not worry about if its actually posted in the ad or not.

12. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    This is like saying ingredient labels are “government overreach”. It’s just a requirement to be up front with information. Makes no sense to be opposed to transparency.

I would actually make the opposite argument as far as which action is “government overreach”. The minimum wage actually violates free market principles. So a true free market ideologue (Chicago school of economic thought) would see any minimum wage as potentially creating economic inefficiency rather than letting supply and demand for labor shake out a natural equilibrium. I think more moderate conservative economic thinkers accept the concept on the bottom end, but are hawkish about doing things like raising to $15. Requiring disclosure has no such concerns, if anything more information leads to more rational markets.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    The information is already readily available. This is just dumb and meaningless. Just another regulation the politicians can spout off about as something they accomplished. When it really accomplishes nothing.

14. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    So what if the employer just puts a large range on the post and ands salary commensurate with experience and skill.
    Doesn’t really help much then does it?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  15. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Sad thing is many employees think they are allstars when most are not.

16. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    I still don’t see how it benefits the workers…

Explain it to me, it’s a solution in search of a problem

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, folks tend to not be terribly self aware on their faults. Everyone thinks it’s someone else on the team that’s the weak link.

18. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Better than them putting up nothing.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    And all jobs in a field are equal?
    Nope take being a PA you might make 80k out of school in Peds/Psych or FP or make 140k a year right out of school in ER. The jobs are. dry different as is the pay.

I’m sure that extends to many fields.
    Not always an apple to apple comparison.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    So they put up some super wide range which in effect means nothing.

• Agree Agree x 2